best trout techniques for high muddy water

huntfish

huntfish

just wondering what the best techniques are when the water is fast moving and muddy? i would think big streamers would be the ticket.

I am prob not the best one to answer this question but I have done good with streamers, dark colored streamers but I have also done good on other DARK colored flies...one of my best days this year was on muddy water and I was slamming trout on size 18 black zebra midges...I would say the dark color of the fly is the most important but that is my opinion

Yes to darker flies, and larger as well. But most important in high water is the trout feeding and holding lies-- they will be in slack water areas. Keep in mind that a rock even if flat of at least 4 inches in height from stream bottom, will provide relief from current.

Sculpins and woolybuggers fished on the bottom.

Walk the banks downstream and cast out into the current with your large dark streamers, and swing back to the shore. You'll get some follows but don't count out fish being literally right on the shore line. You'll be pleasantly surprised at not only where the fish are but how many and how big. Did very well doing this on Spring during the JAM this year. I actually threw 2 streamers fished tandem.

Clouser style marabou leech. Black. Red eyes.

Jointed rapala.

Yep. Streamers, streamers, and more streamers!! Sure, you can fish other stuff, but the bigger fish come out from hiding during off colored flows and streamers are usually the ticket.

It's amazing how some streams, especially ones with wild browns, can fish totally different during high flows.

Beadhead Wooly bugger-white-in off color water-fish it down and across. Use nothing less than 4x.

streamerguy1 wrote:
It's amazing how some streams, especially ones with wild browns, can fish totally different during high flows.
Very true. It's like the dinner bell for bigger browns, they get more "trusting".

huntfish wrote:
i would think big streamers would be the ticket.

As other have noted, this is indeed the typical game.

It also works for bass and other WW species too...although in my experience, SMBs in creeks and rivers don't usually exhibit the sudden aggressiveness during high water that is so common with trout.

The main thing about high water is that it displaces the trout. The key is to find where they are. They can still eat fine, and if you look at all the responses, you will notice that the fish will eat anything from an 8" fly to a size 18 (and smaller I might add). Some people say dark flies some say bright. Experiment with flies, but target the softer water!

I'll jump on the bandwagon - heavy black wooly buggers! Note that is exactly what is in the mouth of the trout in my avatar!

great input fellas. definitely need to target those pockets in fast water

I use a black muddler/bugger (exactly what it sounds like) with big red or yellow lead eyes and fish undercuts first, then swing the current. It's often astonishing how many are right up against the bank in a good blowout rain event.

Boyer

Sometimes fishing the same size flies that were being used before the stream got high and muddy can do the trick as well. With limited visibility those big flies can put the trout into fight or flight mode when they show up out of no where and are right in their face.

I usually try the streamers first, but if they don't seem to be getting a decent response I'll switch over to what I was using when matching the hatch.

Works for steelhead too!!

Frank

something with a bit more flash maybe successful with water distrubance. I tried one of those plastic water displacers infront of a streamer and was catching fish that wouldn't touch it without it.

Here is a very interesting article on the topic:
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-gasoline-fly-patterns/fly-fishing-for-trout-in-black-and-white-killer-flies-for-high-water/

Basically, its all about contrast.

Bigger and darker flies like woolly buggers or sculpins in olive or black. Fish them a little deeper too.

Big dark flies in the slack water. Streamers that push a lot of water or big stonefly nymphs.

Back