Best Trout Fly Fishing east of the Mississippi

Salmon River
Valley Creek
Oak Orchard Creek
Burt Dam

#4 Falling Springs?

It's defintely a unqiue trickle of water with pretty good biomass but higher than LJ and Spring? Please explain what you like so much about FS. Just curious...

I listed Gunpowder at 3 because of the scenery, the number of trout, and hatches. Although it’s not big fish waters, I find it challenging and more enjoyable to fish than streams lower on the list.

I listed Falling Springs at 4 because it has an abundance of large trout and I enjoy fishing it more than other streams.

Here's mine in no particular order:

Jackson River Tailwater-VA
Mossy Creek-VA
North Creek-VA
Whitetop Laurel-VA
Beaver Creek-MD
Falling Spring-PA
Big Spring-PA
Van Campens Brook-NJ
Rapid River-ME
Davidson River-NC

I've fished most of the waters listed in the 2018 revisit. W branch penobscot and de river system blows them all away. Battenkill river in vt blows most of them away. The southern tailwaters are fun but they get maybe 5 different hatches. If this was a list for best place to fish size 18 or smaller bwos or sulphurs maybe I'd agree.

It's hard to be on the upper de with less than 5 bugs hatching at the same time. I can see penns on the list due to its hatches.

Any list of the "best" trout fishing is very subjective, since it really depends on what type of fishing and fish you prefer.

Great hatches? big fish? a lot of fish? native brook trout? bigger rivers you can float? smaller streams you can wade? great scenery?.....

I will say we are all pretty lucky to live in PA since we can find most any kind of quality trout fishing experience within a reasonable drive.

I've fished many of the places mentioned above and they are all great in their own way.

Also, there are many places mentioned above that I have not fished....lotsa new places to try!!

The best water is the one I'm headin' to after a weeks worth of work.

I consider a day's drive to be about 8 hours. So a lot of those on your list are way beyond a day's drive for me. Vermont is good destination. Where I go is about a 6 hour ride from Philly. Excellent trout fishing if that's all your interested in. Warm and cool water fishing is pretty good in various lakes and rivers.

Paulson. Both Burlington and Rutland have commercial airports. Not sure who flies there or how many flights there are. If you're flying your own plane there's probably several more general aviation airports.

For supposedly great trout fishing (I have never fished it) the South Holston in eastern Tennessee (right state?) I know guys who tell me the Sulfurs start in late April and continue for months. It is a hydro electric river and rises daily to flows that are unwadeable. But you can wade fish from early morning to about noon and then rent a drift boat or go wade some of the other local rivers for trout or smallmouth bass.

The Keys are not a day's drive from anywhere in PA or northern states. It is 150 miles from Miami to Key West. It is 1306 miles (21 hours) from York, PA to Key West.

North Branch of the Potomac River on Maryland West Virginia border and Savage River, Potomac tributary on Maryland side. Big, wild (and feral hold overs) trout, big water, awesome scenery!

Maine, Maine and.....um Maine

Upper Delaware and Penns. Under the right circumstances, the Lehigh.

I'm with surf and will add disclaimer 'under the right conditions' to all

Delaware System (including Beaverkill)
Penns
Lehigh
Yough

Non trout.....
Susky
Chesapeake Bay

It is VERY subjective.

For me: exploring brook trout streams in NC PA.

Pennsylvania, then Maine should be # 1 and # 2. Then pcik the rest from a pile of the floor.

Damn that sports illustrated article on penns creek in 1958 damn you sparse grey hackle. Penns hands down when that water is right no where else to be.

No mention of WV?

Err, um, I meant to say somewhere else. Somewhere that isn't WV.

;-)

Some good lists, and most are places I plan on fishing someday. The one I saw mentioned once and one that I would add to any list is the Salmon River. I don’t think you could experience fly fishing for 5 (coho, chinook, steelhead, Browns, Atlantic, am I missing any others?) different species of lake run, trophy sized, salmanoids in a large river system, anywhere else on the East coast.

http://www.planetware.com/tennessee/top-rated-fly-fishing-destinations-in-tennessee-us-tn-17.htm
Go south young man go south. GG

Back