Best travel rod?

franklin wrote:
afishinado wrote:
franklin wrote:
The thread in the main section on airline travel with fly gear has touched on some questions I have of similar nature. I have been considering buying a travel rod to take on airline trips. I'd be looking for a 5 weight 9' with reasonably fast action. I have one of Cabelas Stowaway rods in 7'6" which is nice but the longer rods seem a bit soft.

So the question is how do the better travel rods made by Orvis, etc measure up? I haven't cast any but would make the investment, even pay a premium, if I can find a good travel rod. (A travel rod to be is a six or seven piece rod that breaks down into a 17" or smaller tube.

March Brown fly rod company specializes in making travel rods.

The Orvis Frequent Flyer 7-piece that you mention is a pretty fast rod; faster than the Clearwater 4 piece, which is it's equivalent.

I would try test-casting any rod before you buy.

Thanks.

I'll stop by an Orvis dealer and try one out.
The March Brown seems to get mixed reviews. It also appears they are only mail order. If I find a dealer with one in stock I'll try it. But too much a leap of faith and price to buy without testing.

PCRAY, yes my favorite rod is a Sage two piece.

March Brown rods are hit or miss. I picked up a few early on because they were selling for cheap on STP, and I wanted a many-piece rod for backpacking. The 3wt Hidden Water had issues on receipt, in that the blank was loose in the cork grip. March Brown replaced the rod, no questions asked. The 8wt Legacy was better, although I seem to recall casting half the rod into a pool one damp and misty night, which is probably why it is relegated to second place behind my Cortland 8wt Precision (8 pcs). Both zippers have broken on my March Brown rod tubes too. I'd be willing to part with either March Browns for the right price ;-)

St. Croix makes an Imperial (item # I703.4) that is 7-foot, 3-weight, 4-piece fast action rod. It's a dynamite small steam rod and the rod tube is very short. I can't tell you its overall length off the top of my head, but rest assured that it's pretty danged small. it easily fits in an average suitcase, if so desired. I have flown and backpacked with it quite a few times

The rod only weight 2.1 oz, which is another plus when hiking in with it. At $240 retail, it's a great deal on a nice little rod that packs up nicely.

afishinado wrote:
franklin wrote:
The thread in the main section on airline travel with fly gear has touched on some questions I have of similar nature. I have been considering buying a travel rod to take on airline trips. I'd be looking for a 5 weight 9' with reasonably fast action. I have one of Cabelas Stowaway rods in 7'6" which is nice but the longer rods seem a bit soft.

So the question is how do the better travel rods made by Orvis, etc measure up? I haven't cast any but would make the investment, even pay a premium, if I can find a good travel rod. (A travel rod to be is a six or seven piece rod that breaks down into a 17" or smaller tube.

March Brown fly rod company specializes in making travel rods.

The Orvis Frequent Flyer 7-piece that you mention is a pretty fast rod; faster than the Clearwater 4 piece, which is it's equivalent.

I would try test-casting any rod before you buy.

I finally got a chance to cast the Orvis and I like the action. Couldn't tell it was a seven piece rod. I bought a 9' 5#.

Thanks for that recommendation. :)

Back