Best travel rod?

franklin

franklin

The thread in the main section on airline travel with fly gear has touched on some questions I have of similar nature. I have been considering buying a travel rod to take on airline trips. I'd be looking for a 5 weight 9' with reasonably fast action. I have one of Cabelas Stowaway rods in 7'6" which is nice but the longer rods seem a bit soft.

So the question is how do the better travel rods made by Orvis, etc measure up? I haven't cast any but would make the investment, even pay a premium, if I can find a good travel rod. (A travel rod to be is a six or seven piece rod that breaks down into a 17" or smaller tube.

BTW this also applies to a backpacking rod as both have the same requirements other than often a backpacking rod may be shorter if fishing small streams.

Maybe for those backpacking trips when you're out there for a few weeks and don't want the bulk, but besides that I don't see the purpose of a travel rod. So what if it cuts a few inches off of your rod case. It's not that cumbersome to go on a plane with, carry around or pack. Just my .02 though.

ryguyfi wrote:
Maybe for those backpacking trips when you're out there for a few weeks and don't want the bulk, but besides that I don't see the purpose of a travel rod. So what if it cuts a few inches off of your rod case. It's not that cumbersome to go on a plane with, carry around or pack. Just my .02 though.

I was looking at it from another perspective; if you can get a rod that is more compact when stored, has good action and not much more expensive then why not?

With modern technology adding more ferrules doesn't effect the rod flex much at all. That being said, it seems that not too many companies have been pushing the travel rods in the last few years. They had a big push a number of years ago but I can't really remember a big company pushing one recently.

I think the progression in fly fishing in regards to gear is to have specific tools for specific jobs. I can see your perspective, but to simply be the devils advocate, when is it really needed to be an extra 3" shorter in terms of saving space?

Can't help you with 6 piece. They are kind of hard to find, but you can get 5 piece Scott G series, 5 piece sage sp, 5 piece winston lt, and biix. You'd have to buy used but they are all very good rods. All are as good as rods with less sections, just different (usually a little faster action). The scott rods are 8'4", I believe the sages and winstons are between 8.5 and 9'.

I'm seeing travel rods listed at 22" tubes or shorter. Most of my 4 piece tubes are about 31". So the savings could be substantial. The difference between fitting the tube in a carry on bag or not.

I'm somewhat on the fence but if I can find and cast a good 4 or 5 weight travel rod that's 9' I may buy one.

I own a Sage 905-5 SLT 9 foot 5 piece 5 weight. I agree I don't think the big names are pushing travel rods much anymore. You may be able to find one on the used market. I love my SLT and will never part with it. The rod tube is 25 inches long. Good luck in your search.

Are the airlines not allowing people to carry on 4 piece 9 wt rods?

I carried on a 2 piece, 8 1/2 ft rod, and put it in the overhead bin, on Southwest Airlines. From Philly to Denver, and on the way back. No one gave me any hassle.

troutbert wrote:
Are the airlines not allowing people to carry on 4 piece 9 wt rods?

I carried on a 2 piece, 8 1/2 ft rod, and put it in the overhead bin, on Southwest Airlines. From Philly to Denver, and on the way back. No one gave me any hassle.

It's not so much the airlines but concern that TCA continues to tighten up rules and at times applies them arbitrarily. I've had times I had to go through security twice on a single trip and on the second screening they disallowed something the first screening allowed.

Most six and seven piece tubes I'm finding would fit inside a carry on bag. Helping to reduce any issues.

I also travel internationally and might get opportunities to fish on those trips. Rules differ around the world.

There seems to always be Winston Travel rods on Ebay listed fairly low, but they may not be tremendously versatile.

I really enjoy a 7'6" rod, though. If you're cool with that length a lot of roods could open up to you. I have a Sage ZXL 3 wt in that length that can be pushed very, very hard. I'd imagine that rod in a 4wt would be even better for your potential interests.

franklin wrote:
The thread in the main section on airline travel with fly gear has touched on some questions I have of similar nature. I have been considering buying a travel rod to take on airline trips. I'd be looking for a 5 weight 9' with reasonably fast action. I have one of Cabelas Stowaway rods in 7'6" which is nice but the longer rods seem a bit soft.

So the question is how do the better travel rods made by Orvis, etc measure up? I haven't cast any but would make the investment, even pay a premium, if I can find a good travel rod. (A travel rod to be is a six or seven piece rod that breaks down into a 17" or smaller tube.

March Brown fly rod company specializes in making travel rods.

The Orvis Frequent Flyer 7-piece that you mention is a pretty fast rod; faster than the Clearwater 4 piece, which is it's equivalent.

I would try test-casting any rod before you buy.

ive fished a 7pc orvis travel rod in the past (frequent flyer?)

it was uninspiring
It would cast to the spots i wanted, it caught fish.... but it was noticeably "un-fun"
given a choice i would never fish it again

Most of my rods are still 2 pieces, haha.

I do see the advantages of a 4 pc over a 2 pc. I think the advantages overall are slight, but for flying or backpacking they are certainly magnified.

But I think when you start talking 5, 6, or 7 pcs, you're getting into the realm of no more advantages. Honestly a 4 pc rod tube is pretty short. Plenty short enough to fit in a suitcase, take as a carry on, put in a backpack, or put in the back of the car without adjusting seats and so forth. How short do you need it?

Anyway, my one and only 4 pc is a St. Croix Imperial. I like it, a lot. Medium fast action. But regarding what's best for you, the drawback with recommending 4 pc rods is the same as recommending 2 pc rods. Everybody is different and what I like, you may not, and what you like, I may not.

Has anyone ever had an issue carrying on a 4 piece 9 ft rod in a case?

Either with the airlines or security?

I thought the whole reason the fly rod industry switched from 2 piece rods to 4 piece rods was so that you could carry the rods on airplanes and put them in the overhead bin without any hassle.

Yes? No?

afishinado wrote:
franklin wrote:

March Brown fly rod company specializes in making travel rods.

The Orvis Frequent Flyer 7-piece that you mention is a pretty fast rod; faster than the Clearwater 4 piece, which is it's equivalent.

I would try test-casting any rod before you buy.

Thanks.

I'll stop by an Orvis dealer and try one out.
The March Brown seems to get mixed reviews. It also appears they are only mail order. If I find a dealer with one in stock I'll try it. But too much a leap of faith and price to buy without testing.

PCRAY, yes my favorite rod is a Sage two piece.

If you are doing salt water ff,the T & T rods are fabulous.
I bought a 7,8, and 9wt when I fished SA and the Caribean a lot.
If you can pick them up on Ebay at a reasonable price check them out

Not sure how far you are from PGH but this is on Craigslist - https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/spo/5550094267.html

steveo27 wrote:
Not sure how far you are from PGH but this is on Craigslist - https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/spo/5550094267.html

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately it's a long trip from here (Bucks County). Maybe someone on the board that is closer is interested. Looks like a nice rod.

even though i am not a big graphite fan,i used an ll bean travel rod for years. eventually it got stolen.

the original case was stolen earlier,and i rplaced it with a cabella's case that allowed the reel to stay on.very convenient.

it fit in my motorcycle saddlebag and was convenient for trains and planes.

even though it was graphite,i actually miss that rod.

Back