Best Fly Tying kits?

L

lestrout

Yo all - working on this year's STREAMGirls/TU project, we need to lend each Girl Scout a fly tying setup. To set each up to tie a few flies (San Juan Worm, Green Weenie, Wooly Bugger, etc) while we coach them via ZOOM, in additional to the materials we figure the minimum would be a bobbin holder with thread, fly tying scissors, maybe hackle pliers and hooks. Although we thought the best value vise would be the Renzetti Apprentise with pedestal, I got to looking at the Cabela's and Orvis websites. The kits range from $45-100 and are nice in that they all have a vise, tools, and random materials. But all the vices look like foreign made knockoffs of the Thompson A. Anyone with hands-on experience?

Les I purchased this from Cabellas and it really does well. Up, Down, rotate, adjustable. Been tying for only 8 months and still really like it. I believe it is a knock off of the HMH.

Attachments

• IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 3
Yo Les,

I purchased a Cabela's fly tying kit for my nephew (pic & link below).

They contain all the tools needed to tie flies and vise and tools are decent for the price ($36.99).

Help this helps.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-standard-fly-tying-tool-kit?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=CjwKCAjwr_uCBhAFEiwAX8YJgZz8eUCFsPvOwkrK_H44FBC4DHmzu9CvRVCGO1xG4LIFuHC87R0AOhoC5ggQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• Cabelas Fly-tying Kit.jpg
    Cabelas Fly-tying Kit.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 3
I bought one of these for a friend when I left idaho. I usd to tie most of his flies so...

Back