best digital river thermometers?

Just as possible his thermometer was screwed up. Always test with a glass of ice water. You should get a reading of about 32-34 deg. If you’re +/- a degree or two from that you’re fine.

Now you have got me wondering. I'm pretty sure the other guys thermometer was good so i think i am going to put new batteries in and try the ice water test you described above. Hopefully its just the batteries and I can use this thing confidently this season. Will report back

I have checked my infrared Thermoworks thermometer both at home compared to other thermometers and relative to USGS stream gauge temps and have found it to be reliable. I also use their probe thermometers for cooking and like them.

If you are depending a battery thermometer for water temp readings, make sure you have extra batteries WITH YOU because they can just quit suddenly when least expected.

Attachments

• 30473.png
    30473.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Has anyone used aquarium strip thermometers on the stream?
They could be affixed to a wading staff...

I never considered one because the fish folks I know claim they are inaccurate and unreliable...

...not to mention if one was placed where it should be placed on a wading staff it would get trashed in short order.

Back