best digital river thermometers?

P

PaScoGi

my old eyes can read my standard thermometer that i always carry. anyone got a good digital recommendation, preferably with large numbers? i saw fishpond sells one but im always skeptical & like asking recommendations before buying. thanks for any help!

I don't know about river thermometers, but all of thermometers I use come from ThermoWorks.

Tip - I still use a Fish Pond Swift regular thermometer because they are small and hassle free meaning no batteries.

The ONLY reason I carry a stream thermometer is to keep an eye on temps in the summer so I used a paint marker and put a bright yellow dot at 65 degrees so I can see in an instant if I need to worry.

Works like a charm and no numbers to read!! ;)

Here is the one I have been using for the past ten years.

That's what I've used for years, I just need to stop leaving them in the creek. :)

I'm a moron so for decades I've had a length of thin cord attached to my thermometers with a swivel and the cord is attached to the pouch where I store the thermometer. I keep the cord wrapped around the thermometer case secured with two O-rings (that's the reason for the swivel).

When I want to take a temp I unwrap the cord, lower the thermometer into the stream and I haven't left one behind since... ;)

I'm a moron so for decades I've had a length of thin cord attached to my thermometers with a swivel and the cord is attached to the pouch where I store the thermometer. I keep the cord wrapped around the thermometer case secured with two O-rings (that's the reason for the swivel).

When I want to take a temp I unwrap the cord, lower the thermometer into the stream and I haven't left one behind since... ;)
I might have to go that route as well. I tried attaching a red fletching from one of my old arrows, so I could possibly see it better when I went back to look for it. Problem was, I'd often forget the last spot I took a temp. :D

The cord I use is about 2mm in diameter so it is not bulky.

What I USED to do before I came up with the tether idea was to shove the thermometer into the neoprene guard sock I have between me and my wading shoe.

That obviously wasn't foolproof however or I wouldn't have found a need for a tether... ;)

I'm a big fan of the waterproof digital cooking thermometer I got on Amazon a while back. Best thing about it is that it takes a reading nearly instantaneously. Cheap too.

I have the old school kind in my fishing pack, for space/weight reasons.

But, ThermoPro makes really nice stuff. Bought one of their IR “gun style” (can I say that?) ones to troubleshoot some a/c problems I was having a couple years ago. Keep it in the kitchen, use it all the time now for all kinds of stuff. Got a flat top griddle for over my gas stove for Christmas, it’s invaluable for that.

I use a digital thermometer that I got from Snap-on . Was originally going to use it at work for temping ac systems, until I realized it was perfect for fishing .

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpeg
    IMG_3058.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 31
I will never get a traditional analog thermometer again. A bubble always seems to show up and screw up the measurement. I was considering purchasing another of the same meat thermometers I use at home.

Here is the one I have been using for the past ten years.
This one is small, about two and a half inches long (about the size of a car key fob) but it can measure at a distance. You can stand on a bridge, point at the water and get an instant reading. I also use it to point at spots near the bank to identify cold springs seeping into the stream.
It beats waiting for a glass thermometer to dip into the water and I found it much more accurate. For $11 each I bought three of them and keep one in each of my fishing bags.

When I spent the entire summer on the Yellowstone River, and often floated the Yellowstone and other rivers in my boat, when size and weight were not a major consideration, I used a very nice, but expensive, Fluke infrared digital thermometer. It was fun to use, and almost like shooting a handgun, to point it, pull the trigger, and instantly get a digital reading of the surface water temperature from virtually any place across the river. It was also surprising to see how much that temperature varied, some times as much as 5°-10°.

At home today I have a Thermapen One that I use to take water temperatures for making my coffee. It is almost instant, accurate, and waterproof according to the company, Thermoworks. It’s similar in appearance to the one @Vtsalmon mentioned previously. You could use this to get stream water temperatures near the surface, but they’re not going to give you accurate temperatures subsurface if that’s important to you.

I am a Thermoworks fan - they make professional grade thermometers that I appreciate as an engineer. They are also great to work with. Order with them not Amazon etc because of copies.

I use this https://www.thermoworks.com/ir-pocket-20/ because it is tiny and inexpensive. Used to use one with metal probe for decades, but really appreciate non-contact IR thermometer.

I am a Thermoworks fan - they make professional grade thermometers that I appreciate as an engineer. They are also great to work with. Order with them not Amazon etc because of copies.

I use this https://www.thermoworks.com/ir-pocket-20/ because it is tiny and inexpensive. Used to use one with metal probe for decades, but really appreciate non-contact IR thermometer.
I use this thermometer as well and really like it.

I'm another Thermoworks junkie. I keep a dash mini in my waders:

I'm another Thermoworks junkie. I keep a dash mini in my waders:

Just ordered one, thanks!

I have one of these and wrote it off as junk when it was giving readings that were 15 degrees off from a traditional dip thermometer that a buddy had. Maybe i just need to put some quality batteries in it...

I have one of these and wrote it off as junk when it was giving readings that were 15 degrees off from a traditional dip thermometer that a buddy had. Maybe i just need to put some quality batteries in it...

Just as possible his thermometer was screwed up. Always test with a glass of ice water. You should get a reading of about 32-34 deg. If you’re +/- a degree or two from that you’re fine.

Was it sunny out that particular day? IR thermometers just read the surface of the water and don't really penetrate into the column. I wonder if sunlight reflecting off of the surface could skew the readings? I briefly considered an IR when I got my Dash Mini. I started to look into it and decided I didn't want to re-learn physics/optics so just got the little probe guy and measure temp directly.

Back