Best/Closest streams to Harrisburg

jifigz

jifigz

My girlfriend goes to HACC for dental hygiene and I'm one of her patients this semester so for the next few weeks I'll have about 2 hours to spare and can get some fishing in after I drop her off and await my appointment. My question is what is the best and closest trout water that I may be able to explore in that amount of time? I thought Clark Creek (probably the lower part closest to Dauphin) might be worth a look as I've heard decent things about that stream in the past. Anything closer or better that I should consider? Or maybe I'll try to find some coldwater smallmouth while I'm down there. Last week I went to BassPro and killed time but there is only so much store to wander around for 2 hours.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yellow Breeches is not too far from Harrisburg.

ryansheehan wrote:
Yellow Breeches is not too far from Harrisburg.

True enough. I remember driving over it recently when I went to York. And soon I'll be going to York a bunch so I might have some opportunities to explore. Can I get to good trout water on the Breeches, suit up, possibly haul a fish in or two, and get back to HACC in 2 hours or so?

You can check out Clarks Creek. I have yet to fish it, but I did drive up and check it out one weekend coming home from Penns.

Conidoguent and Susquehanna for some awesome smallmouth fishing(weather and water levels permitting of course).

As mentioned for trout, yellow breeches is close enough as well at the Letort. Spring creek over by Bass pro also offers some good "Urban" wild trout fishing. You can also get into some brookie fishing in northern dauphin on days that you might have some more time.

Send me a text if you plan to be in the area. I might be able to meet up with you or point you in the direction of some other wild trout streams.

jifigz wrote:
Can I get to good trout water on the Breeches, suit up, possibly haul a fish in or two, and get back to HACC in 2 hours or so?

Not likely since most would consider the "good water" to be in and around Boiling Springs which AT MINIMUM going to take you 30 minutes each way from HAAC depending on the time of day.

The lower end of the Breeches in New Cumberland is much closer & stocked but closed until Opening Day.

Clark's is fine but unless you fish the lower end which is also closed until Opening Day, you are looking at similar drive times to the FFO water or above.

To be honest, with only two hours to kill, you are best just fishing the Susquehanna, drowning a worm on the Conodoguinet or exploring some of the smaller streams on the natural reproduction list in Dauphin County that you can fish from the bank. Bank fishing will reduce your set-up time.

Obviously there are lots of good places "near Harrisburg" but with two hours and the local traffic, you may have a minute or two to fish if you venture too far.

Bambooze..lower breeches is Approved Trout Water and as such doesn't close until about March 1. You just can't keep your full stringer of fish this time of year.

You could take a look at New Cumberland Borough Park. Right on the Breeches/close to the river so it would serve your cold water smallmouth idea. If memory serves me there is a small dam there. Sometimes bass, walleyes can be located in that area. Step carefully around the goose poop.

STONEMAN wrote:
Bambooze..lower breeches is Approved Trout Water and as such doesn't close until about March 1. You just can't keep your full stringer of fish this time of year.

D'oh, right, I forgot that!!

So he could hit the Breeches or lower Clark's, at least until March 1 which makes a total 2 hour trip a bit more feasible.

Agree that two hours combined with capital region traffic may put some limits on you.

Clarks is worth exploring but the reg water is pushing time - it's a beautiful stream but many of us feel does not fish like it used to.

Stoney Creek is also an option: another beautiful stream but is mainly a stocked fishery and a bit closer (I think it may be on the ATW all year fishing rule, but double check on this before you go there during closed season).

Frankly, you've got a lot of experience chasing bass during the colder months of the year. If it were me, I'd hit the Susky, as others have suggested. Look at some of the public access sites on the east side and plan out a trip. You might also hit the Sports and Outdoor show this month too (especially if you like hunting).

May be some fish in Manada DHALO near Ft Indiantown Gap, probably 20 minutes from HAAC.

+1 for Susquehanna

^ me too.

Why don't you just "slum it" and fish the Susky for SMBs. It's one of the greatest SM rivers you'll find anywhere! Both the fish and the fishing are fantastic anywhere in and around the H-burg area.

Driving around looking to find a place to fish for stocked trout is like going to Paris with all their great restaurants, and looking for a MacDonald's to have lunch.

The closest is Spring Ck in Harrisburg. It is on the wild trout streams list. Parts of it appear to be worthwhile investigating, but I have never fished it or surveyed it. It sticks in my mind that the regional biologist once told me of a decent population in places. I think that parts of it are as close as a mile or two to HACC.

afishinado wrote:
Driving around looking to find a place to fish for stocked trout is like going to Paris with all their great restaurants, and looking for a MacDonald's to have lunch.

I'm not looking for stocked trout but am interested in finding wild trout wherever we can. I would only go to a stream that is listed as having natural reproduction.

And for me trout are kind of a nice change. I spent many years of my life as a "bass fisherman" and used to winter fish for smallies all of the time. It is a blast and the Susquehanna is certainly a fine river. It is a river that I've fished before, however. Part of this is the chance for exploration of new waters. Exploring places is one of my favorite aspects of angling..

Yeah, I am leaning towards the urban Spring Creek and also doing some smallie fishing. I'll be driving down there like 3 more times so I'm sure I'll take a stab at both. I might try to find bass in the Swatara though because I have never fished it.

Spring is a good choice for wild fish. Also a good choice for shopping carts, syringes, hookers, drug deals, and general shadiness. Not saying don't fish it - I do on a regular basis. Just be aware of the "urban wild" it flows through.

Spring Creek can be very good fishing, just watch out for the homeless. Especially the guy with the camp set up near the mouth, he will follow you, yell at you and who knows whatelse. That is if he is still there.
The trout there are very wary and picky but it has had many improvements and lots of good habitat. fish there do like caddis but go small. They really eye them up in that clear water. I've had good luck with small sculpins too.
I havnt fished it years due to the shady characters there, don't feel comfortable by myself there anymore.

You may like the Swattie but I don't in the bass water. Highly inferior to the Susquehanna, but hey why not? It can fish well.

Susquehanna is a sure fire bet.

+1 for Spring Creek in Harrisburg. Just be sure to temper your expectations for aesthetics, and be aware of your surroundings.

Looks the Spring Creek can definitely have it's fair share of nefarious characters. I think that makes me want to stick to chasing Smallies. Too bad Tuesday isn't supposed to be over freezing..I don't mind fishing cold but it is much more enjoyable after the mercury slides to 32° or better.

Back