Berks County Brook Trout Restoration

jdaddy wrote:
If you saw some of the "work" that I saw by a group of high school girls you would understand why his position a bit better. LOL.

It sounds like they did a terrible job. It's great that they volunteered, but I doubt they took it serously. I left at 11:30 and it seemed like everything was pretty much done. What time were you there till?

Troy wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
If you saw some of the "work" that I saw by a group of high school girls you would understand why his position a bit better. LOL.

It sounds like they did a terrible job. It's great that they volunteered, but I doubt they took it serously. I left at 11:30 and it seemed like everything was pretty much done. What time were you there till?

Ya, it was wrapped up before noon. Fortunately it took them quite some time to plant the tree. I requested that they go collect buckets or something a bit more productive.

You and Jeff, along with Redsun did a great job and we appreciate the help!

I was glad to help. It was nice to see that many people show up. I look forward to seeing what that area looks like in a few years. Now, I just have to go fish it sometime.

Troy wrote:
I was glad to help. It was nice to see that many people show up. I look forward to seeing what that area looks like in a few years. Now, I just have to go fish it sometime.

Fish? There are no fish in there! ;)

And just think, all of the attention now being given to this segment of Willow Creek would most likely never have occurred without the initiation of a trout stocking program a few years ago, which got the ball rolling. It was the initial proposal to stock this segment and the privately owned, but open to fishing (following landowner contacts by the PFBC and with the help of the township) stretch above, which brought the PFBC, the township (Ontelaunee Township), private landowners, and township residents together. It was the catalyst. This all began with a stream survey, presentation to the Township Supervisors at a general Supervisors meeting, their interest in the the recreational aspects as well as potential for help with stream improvement work, and support from the residents attending that meeting. The trout stocking program does, in fact, have benefits that perhaps the average participant on this board does not consider.

Kudos to those who participated in the tree planting!!!

Much more negative than positive in many cases.

Great job, did you see any fish.
Let's not forget that one of the message board members alerted Mike about how good the fishing was , and that the result was the survey.

Chaz wrote:
Great job, did you see any fish.
Let's not forget that one of the message board members alerted Mike about how good the fishing was , and that the result was the survey.

Nah. Water was just a touch too off color due to rains the day before. It would be awesome if it had that kind of flow all the time. Good news is that all the in stream work held up to Irene and Lee.

A few (very few) brook trout should be in that stretch right now as they tend to move in during fall when the summer water temps have subsided or the stream once again has some flow following dry summers. During dry summers the stream often dries up by Rt 73.

Brookies have spawned in the lower reaches.

Back