Berks Co. Locations For Mid August

Oregon Owl, what were the conclusions on the influence of the ponds? Did they not have much influence?

Fished perkiomen yesterday, USGS gauge is as accurate as my thermometer - hasn't been under 80 during the day in the entirety of August. When I was fishing it in early July it was near the same temps.

We are suffering this summer. Even Tully has been super warm.
View attachment 1641226719
These are temps on the lower Perk, correct?

JeffP,
There are a lot of wild trout streams that have taken a beating from pond discharges, with the pond discharges being the beginning of the end of the wild trout populations downstream. Very generally though, it’s the cumulative effects of multiple ponds on water temps that are the larger problem. I wouldn’t say it is always that way though. A lot probably depends on the volume of water (in comparison to the receiving stream’s flow) coming out of each pond and whether the pond is on a spring source, a trib, OR is dependent upon a diversion from the stream to which it discharges. Pond impacts can be mitigated in some cases with increases in riparian vegetation (shade). Pond owners often need to mow around pond perimeters to protect the dikes, but they don’t need to mow along the discharge channel or the receiving stream.

JeffP,
There are a lot of wild trout streams that have taken a beating from pond discharges, with the pond discharges being the beginning of the end of the wild trout populations downstream. Very generally though, it’s the cumulative effects of multiple ponds on water temps that are the larger problem. I wouldn’t say it is always that way though. A lot probably depends on the volume of water (in comparison to the receiving stream’s flow) coming out of each pond and whether the pond is on a spring source, a trib, OR is dependent upon a diversion from the stream to which it discharges. Pond impacts can be mitigated in some cases with increases in riparian vegetation (shade). Pond owners often need to mow around pond perimeters to protect the dikes, but they don’t need to mow along the discharge channel or the receiving stream.
It was interesting. When TU did the work on the lower Segloch they ended up giving the landowner a pond. Wonder how that happened.I also saw a new pond right next to Middle Creek just down from Brunnerville Road. I'm not sure if it has a receiving spring or not.

As Mike suggested, cumulative e
Oregon Owl, what were the conclusions on the influence of the ponds? Did they not have much influence?
Cumulative effect is the issue on most stream segments. We calculated that if an off-line pond drew 10% of the water in a stream, it would raise that stream temperature two degrees. A sequence of ponds along a stream is damaging. Many of the pond temperature rises in the upper Perkiomen were offset by cooling springs below the discharge point. Riparian vegetation along the discharge segment has little to no effect. The distance was too short. We found one pond on a tributary that increased the stream temps by 5 degrees. In that instance, the TU chapter cooperated with the landowner to mitigate through two strategies. One was riparian tree plantings around the pond itself, and the second was deepening the pond to put in a bottom release sleeve on the discharge pipe coming out of the pond. The combination of remedies lowered the discharge by 4 degrees (though the trees were not mature at that time). Unfortunately, the landowner pulled off the discharge sleeve, reducing the mitigation to 2.5 degrees in discharge reduction. Another pond we found increased the tributary temp by 10 degrees on the hottest days. In that case, the landowner refused pond remediation. They were in essence siphoning off the entire stream except in highwater events. We had the DEP out there, but because the structure was implemented before the Cleanwater Act, it was considered grandfathered from the portion of the rulemaking that does not allow for "changes in the character of the stream."

As Mike suggested, cumulative e

Cumulative effect is the issue on most stream segments. We calculated that if an off-line pond drew 10% of the water in a stream, it would raise that stream temperature two degrees. A sequence of ponds along a stream is damaging. Many of the pond temperature rises in the upper Perkiomen were offset by cooling springs below the discharge point. Riparian vegetation along the discharge segment has little to no effect. The distance was too short. We found one pond on a tributary that increased the stream temps by 5 degrees. In that instance, the TU chapter cooperated with the landowner to mitigate through two strategies. One was riparian tree plantings around the pond itself, and the second was deepening the pond to put in a bottom release sleeve on the discharge pipe coming out of the pond. The combination of remedies lowered the discharge by 4 degrees (though the trees were not mature at that time). Unfortunately, the landowner pulled off the discharge sleeve, reducing the mitigation to 2.5 degrees in discharge reduction. Another pond we found increased the tributary temp by 10 degrees on the hottest days. In that case, the landowner refused pond remediation. They were in essence siphoning off the entire stream except in highwater events. We had the DEP out there, but because the structure was implemented before the Cleanwater Act, it was considered grandfathered from the portion of the rulemaking that does not allow for "changes in the character of the stream."
Very interesting data. Was that on Pachwechan Ck (excuse spelling if wrong)? If it was on that creek the first time I surveyed it there were no trout below the couple of ponds. Later, TU did tree plantings from Rt 100 to the mouth; they matured; and in recent yrs my former crew documented wild trout in that stretch. The wild trout designation was extended to the mouth.

Very interesting data. Was that on Pachwechan Ck (excuse spelling if wrong)? If it was on that creek the first time I surveyed it there were no trout below the couple of ponds. Later, TU did tree plantings from Rt 100 to the mouth; they matured; and in recent yrs my former crew documented wild trout in that stretch. The wild trout designation was extended to the mouth.
The data was on Pachwechan Run primarily, but the main branch readings were taken as well, as reference points above Hereford, and then down to Peevey Rd bridge in East Greenville. The offending ponds were on Pachwechan Run. Pachwechan has several cooling springs along its course, from the Class D section all the way to the mouth. Happy to hear that your crew found trout there. Also took temps on the West Branch for reference.

Fished perkiomen yesterday, USGS gauge is as accurate as my thermometer - hasn't been under 80 during the day in the entirety of August. When I was fishing it in early July it was near the same temps.

We are suffering this summer. Even Tully has been super warm.
View attachment 1641226719
The Perkiomen down by Graterford is a warm water fishery. I took Temps a year ago on the main branch at Hereford Eco Park (used to be Fisherman's Park) vicinity. On a day when the ambient air was 91.4 F the stream temps ranged from 68 to 71.

Well we went yesterday to Maiden Creek. Fished near the campground and had a lot of takes on crayfish imitations, but only two bluegills landed on a squirmy wormy and a black gnat. Still had a great time and my friend wants to go again, so we'll probably check out one of the locations some of you suggested along the Schuylkill.

Thank you all for all of the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.

Well we went yesterday to Maiden Creek. Fished near the campground and had a lot of takes on crayfish imitations, but only two bluegills landed on a squirmy wormy and a black gnat. Still had a great time and my friend wants to go again, so we'll probably check out one of the locations some of you suggested along the Schuylkill.

Thank you all for all of the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.
I actually caught a crayfish on a Nymph on a Class A stream in Berks County a couple of weeks ago.

Hello all,

I enjoy reading many of your posts. I’m originally from Oley, Pa and used to fish up and down the creek around the covered bridge in Pleasantville, Pa. Does anyone know if this is still open to fish ? I believe that is the Manatawny creek?

Thank you !

Back