Beginners Kit

I guess I'm old fashioned but I still like books!

jaybo41 wrote:

Books are still good as reference, but I'd invest that money into tools, vice and materials and or a local tying class first.

Notice I said FIRST. As I said, invest in tools, vise, materials or a tying class BEFORE getting books. I am not dismissing their value, I have PLENTY of fly fishing books that I treasure. I find the vido instruction much more helpful to learn how to tie, maybe that's just me.

Then again, I have a basic tying book that I haven't opened in years since the youtube phenomenon. This book really helped me get started. If any beginning tyer wants it, I will gladly give it to you. PM me and it's yours.

"Basic Fly Tying by Ed Koch and Norm Shires"

I'm sure that as technology advances so will the means of distributing video. It's not like it's going to completely go away and we won't be able to access them in some way shape or form.

i know this sounds like i'm "captain obvious" but if you want to learn how to tie - TIE!
those of us who learned how to tie in the "years befor youtoob" and those of us that learned to tie before dvds and even before video learned to tie by either reading a book or watching someone else do it. then we started to tie.
my recommendation is the opposite from most other opinions -
don't buy anything. go to a demo at a TU meeting, or better yet at a flyshop (while they are still around) where you can watch and ask questions. if you think you want to do it - then buy the cheapest kit that you can. - and TIE.
tie the same simple pattern a few dozen times. choose an easy pattern, but one that requires several different techniques - like a GRHE. when they all start to look alike then start another pattern - maybe a dry fly. when they all start to look alike move on.
at this point, you should know whether you want to continue with this life long hobby. and you should be just about out of hooks and materials from your starter kit.
then buy the expensive stuff if you want to continue. then buy the dvds etc.
but learn how to tie first, and the only way to do that is to tie.

gutcutter, that's a good point. The gentleman who got me started flyfishing also got me to start flytying. He had a bench set up in his basement and he and I would set side by side. He had an extra vise for me to use. He would show me something on his vise and then I would try to repeat it on mine and so on. I tied a Green weenie,a woolly bugger, a gold ribbed hares ear nymph, a professor wet fly and a march brown dry fly. He showed me various techniques ie. whipfinishing, thread control, dubbing methods etc. and as they say I was off and running I mean tying LOL! Oh yea thanks again for the Trico patterns. I don't know if you remember me but we ran into each other on Spring Creek one morning this summer fishing the Tricos. Thanks again that was very kind of you.

WildTigerTrout.......man that sounds familiar , that's how i learned and at last count have taught 24 to get started including two left handed folks.

Thanks everyone for your help! I will definitely be taking your tips and suggestions with me soon to decide on the right gear to get me started. I am going to look into a local tying class too while i am at it. I am a very visual learner. Books can be lost on me sometimes.

I'll echo what some have said already, and the single best piece of advice I can give is to watch someone who knows how to tie. If it can be at a local flyshop, even better. Some shops offer beginner tying classes...take one. If you are fortunate enough to be close to another member of PAFF, one of them would be happy to give you an introduction.

Also, I agree with the "pick one fly until you are consistent" approach. I started with the pheasant tail. I still have some of the first ones I tied, and once in a while I pull them out and look at them for laughs. Proportions way off...stuff sticking out every which way.

Another lesson I learned the hard way...don't start off too difficult. Tie a couple dozen hares ears and pheasant tails before you attempt to tie an adams parachute, or a stimulator. If you start off too fast, you could get frustrated very quickly.

But trust me, you will get better, and if you are really passionate about it, you will get better quickly. Tie, tie, tie..and when you think you have had enough practice, tie some more.

This is nothing new, but as someone who has only been fly fishing for two and a half years and tying for one, there is nothing more rewarding that taking a trout on a fly you tied yourself!

Back