Beginner/Simple Fly Swap 2011

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

This is a swap for basic flies, patterns that would be "beginner friendly". Nothing overly complicated, buggers, nymphs and bucktail streamers, or a simple dry even, if one is so inclined.

You are only required to tie one pattern, but can submit more if you desire. There is a limit of 10 tiers and the deadline to enter is Friday, October 7th. Due date for your entries is Friday, October 28th, 2011. Please follow the guidelines and you should have your flies shortly after the deadline. If you think that deadline is too agressive, let me know right away.

Send me a PM to confirm that you are participating. I will update the thread with the participants as I receive them. Ideally, send me the pattern you intend to tie, that way we can ensure diversity in the patterns we all receive. I will start the list in the thread now, but I would also like a confirmation PM.

You will need to tie as many flies as there are fellow participants. So if we reach the maximum number 10 tiers, you will need to provide at least 9 flies for all other participants excluding yourself. So everyone should tie and receive 9. Also, optional extra flies may be tied for Dave Kile and the Moderators who keep this site running smoothly. It is highly recommended that you include one for Dave, for without PaFlyFish this swap wouldn't be possible. Counting the 4 mods, and Dave, that would be a total of 14 flies if you are so inclined.

Flies will be returned in the containers they were mailed in, if possible. Please write your name on your container- If you don’t I will. Keep in mind that the other flies may be larger than yours, so make your container large enough to handle that possibility. Please include a stamped return envelope. Whatever it costs to mail to me, it will cost me at least that to return, so match the postage. To the guys that are doing this for the first time- do not send them in an expensive fly box. I have had flies get lost in the mail in the past. The best type of container is an Altoid tin or something similar. Fly boxes tend to be a little too bulky and usually cost more to ship.

It is nice to provide the other tyers with the fly pattern recipe, instructions, etc. At a bare minimum, provide the materials list for each part (e.g.: Hook: #14; Thread: brown; Tail: Medium Dun Hackle; etc...); preferably, give the recipe, step-by-step instructions, and a short explanation of the use of the fly; it's history, if you want, etc.

Please email or PM me when you have mailed your flies so I can look for them in the mail. I will post on this thread that they have arrived safely. I will PM everyone my email and mailing address once the swap is full or the deadline has passed. If you have any questions just email/PM me or post them on this thread.

I am in, but undecided on what to tie. I have been practicing with tying foam hopper patterns, so if its cool....I would tie a size #12 mini hopper....

I'm in I'll tie a double standard nymph sz 16 with a beadhead.

i will do a fly called hare and copper. its a version of the hairs ear, size 14 or 16 and bead head. If you would like a link to the fly let me know.

okay, halfway there...

sniperfreak223-TBA
The_Sasquatch-Olive Caddis Nymph
thebassman- Mini foam hopper
Love2fish- BH Double Standard nymph
troutmagnet - Hare and Copper

Still not decided on what I'll tie, thinking a Mickey Finn, as it was the first pattern I learned to tie some 10 years ago, so it's got a bit of sentimental value to me, but I may do another pattern or two...

I'm in for sure. New to the board and this will be my first fly swap! Very excited! I'll tie my version of the 20 incher stone fly with rubber legs.

Attachments

• 20incher.jpg
    20incher.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 3
I'm in too. New to the forum and to fly tying.

I just picked up some elk hair and CDC - so would like to try a Elk Hair / CDC caddis - size 16 probably.

im in till tie a simple rabbit zonker

bobbymo wrote:
I'm in for sure. New to the board and this will be my first fly swap! Very excited! I'll tie my version of the 20 incher stone fly with rubber legs.

Man, that thread is in razor sharp focus... but you've got something all blurry up in the front of it.

two more slots...

I know. Best I could do. I only had the cam on my cellphone....

put me down for some type of catskill dry

Black or olive woolley buggers! Im in. First swap for me. Hopefully I don't disappoint!

Lost count...you all filled up or do you have room for one more...

If I am too late...no sweat...but if you have the room...I'm in..

loving the sticky icky caddis and another throw in fly...maybe something GBHE ish....

Boss

BTW, the 20 incher is no beginner fly...looks good...does it taste just like chicken?

Boss

it will be the tan version from a collection i call the cree nation series its a good march brown immitation probably will be a size 14

If you all think the 20 incher is to complex I can always change to something else. The version I tie isn't too complicated though. Let me know if you would rather have something else included instead. I love to tie nymphs so I could always do some kind of of nymph. Let me know.

boss_steb wrote:
Lost count...you all filled up or do you have room for one more...

If I am too late...no sweat...but if you have the room...I'm in..

loving the sticky icky caddis and another throw in fly...maybe something GBHE ish....

Boss

looks like I'm full...

I am hopefully going to be able to get the hoppers done thursday....

Back