Beginner Fly-casting Tips

Probably watched me casting on the creek there. Mary Kuss used to use me as an example of how not to cast when they did their spring tune up day when the shop was in Media. I'm afraid I'm beyond redemption but I'll check it out anyway.

Some correction/clarification is in order here.

Breaking the wrist: Excessive use/bending of the wrist before the stop in either direction can result in a very large or even no loop. Some folks are surprised at what you can do after the stop and not have an impact on line direction or loop formation. What happens with excessive wrist rotation is that we cause the rod tip to travel in a rounded path rather than a straight path. To execute a good cast with a narrow loop a bit of wrist rotation is beneficial. Some of us instructors tell the student to cast with no wrist knowing that there will usually be a little bit show up in the cast anyway and that's o.k.

We need to understand that there are quite a few who would be described as wrist casters and they seem to cast adequately out to about 40' or so. Beyond that their cast develops problems.

Tailing loops: One cause, ABRUPT application of power. This causes the rod tip to travel in a concave path and it can happen on either the forward or the back cast or both. I can use excessive power casting either direction and, if I apply it smoothly, I may tire out quickly but I won't see a tailing loop. Change from smooth to abrupt and things change dramatically. I've seen folks apply too much power too soon, too late and points in between. There's more than one reason this may happen; however, it's that abrupt power application that's the cause of a tailing loop.

Sorry, I just couldn't let this go. Anyone else can chime in either way: correct me if I'm wrong, tell me to keep to myself, or whatever...

Tailing loops are sometimes my nemesis. Some years they are so frequent I want to throw the rod in the river. Then other years they are very infrequent. During 2017 I had so few that when I finally got one I was thinking "Now where did that come from?"

>>We need to understand that there are quite a few who would be described as wrist casters and they seem to cast adequately out to about 40' or so. Beyond that their cast develops problems.>>

I'm probably one of these.. I learned to cast on smaller, brushy streams and can usually put a fly in a pie-plate size target 4 out of 5 times up to 35' or so. I do this through a combination of arm movements, wrist gyrations, lip pursing and salty invective that I am absolutely powerless to explain or teach. It's like I go away for a while into a fugue state at the exact moment I begin the casting motion and when I come back, there's the fly pretty much where I wanted to put it.

But out there farther, say beyond 50', I am only sporadically adequate with a lot of room for improvement. I can't double haul, unless we are talking about moving two rather than one load of laundry down to the machines.

Despite all this, I still catch an occasional fish. But there are time when I envy you guys who learned to do it right and can actually explain how it works...:)

Rleep2 wrote;

I can't double haul, unless we are talking about moving two rather than one load of laundry down to the machines.

This is quite funny and it is good to see a fly fisher being able to laugh at himself.

The double haul may seem perplexing initially but if you watch a couple You Tube videos (there are probably many on how to double haul) you will soon see that the video makes all the convoluted written explanations just so much easier to grasp.

I couldn't double haul at all in my mid twenties and it hadn't been necessary for fishing smaller streams no wider than 50'. But when I started to fish the lower Beaverkill and the Delaware system longer casts were really a requirement. I remember going to a park in Lodi, NJ with a buddy of mine and having a 9' Fenwick fiber glass rod and an 8' 6" Thomas bamboo rod and trying to learn the power stroke hand motions required to build line speed. After about an hour of failures all of a sudden I got the timing right for the rear line pull and the forward line pull and to repeat it a couple of times and then just let the line on the ground literally fly through the guides. It was quite amazing. I often perform a rear pull on every cast even if I'm not planning on throwing 70' of line. It just makes my shorter casts easier.

But Matt... I don't really want to learn how to double haul, at least not in any formal, taught, you-tube sense.

I'm too old for that crap.

And besides, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I found that I actually already do double haul sort of intuitively and just don't realize it or I call it something else like Alex or Bill or Shep or Spot.

A lot I'm not always aware of goes on when I'm away in my casting fugue state....

Rleep2 wrote;

when I'm away in my casting fugue state....

Kind of the opposite of a Zen state huh?

Rleep2,

Do you ever close your eyes while in your fugue state? It might put an entirely new perspective on the outcome of your fly fishing.

2 words for improving your casting feels... Night fishing!

Though I suggest being able to cast fairly confidently first though, so you aren’t getting unintentional body and face piercings :)

2 words for improving your casting feels... Night fishing!

Though I suggest being able to cast fairly confidently first though, so you aren’t getting unintentional body and face piercings :)

Amen to that Jacob.

Back