Bass on the Brandywine

S

Striperbobby

I live in downingtown and fish the east and west branch of the Brandywine 3-4 times a week in spots that aren’t stocked with trout. It’s been a great summer for numbers. I have caught close to 30 smallies or more on most trips and tons of panfish and fallfish as well as rainbow and brook trout. Most of the bass are from the size of my fly to around 9 or 10 inches. I did catch a 15 incher this week but it was the only decent bass so far. I’m not complaining cause I usually fish a 2 or 3 weight because the bass are small. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the large numbers of smaller fish and the lack of big fish this summer? I haven’t fished below west Chester. Just seems that the spots where I have caught 15 and 16 inch bass over the years aren’t holding big fish anymore.

I live in downingtown and fish the east and west branch of the Brandywine 3-4 times a week in spots that aren’t stocked with trout. It’s been a great summer for numbers. I have caught close to 30 smallies or more on most trips and tons of panfish and fallfish as well as rainbow and brook trout. Most of the bass are from the size of my fly to around 9 or 10 inches. I did catch a 15 incher this week but it was the only decent bass so far. I’m not complaining cause I usually fish a 2 or 3 weight because the bass are small. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the large numbers of smaller fish and the lack of big fish this summer? I haven’t fished below west Chester. Just seems that the spots where I have caught 15 and 16 inch bass over the years aren’t holding big fish anymore.
I have also noticed more largemouth and yellow perch in the east branch this summer

Haven't fished there much this summer, but that is typically how it is. I have seen bigger smallies here and there, but have only caught a handful, and most have been in low light conditions.

Back