Bamboo Rods?

By the way I live in Chester county

RBull: Here is some stuff to help, now all you need is a description of how to wrap the guides, I will hunt that tomorrow or maybe someone else can post it, gonna go watch football, hope this helps. http://www.argonaut.uidaho.edu/archives/110300/outstory1.html

Rbull Here is a way to wrap your guides, don't forget to keep the thread taunt and push the wraps together with your fingers of your thumb, you can use a heavy hardback book to run the thread through to have tension on the thread. http://www.shofftackle.com/wrapping-guide.html

Tim Murphy, grass will never cast with glass,graphite or boron. Its not the grasses fault its all about physics. If you like grass rods good on ya but dont make them into something they are not. They are wonderfull if you like nostalgia and thats where the honeymoon ends. I gave a great cane rod to a buddy because its great for chasing flys and his stroke was so bad he needed the slowest rod i could find and the one of grass did the trick. He still cant catch fish but he looks mighty pretty with that cane rod glittering in the sun. :cool: :lol: Graphit rules , grass is for cowz...

RBull, if you plan on doing it yourself, you can also get a book through the library, Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook by Michael Sinclair. If they don’t have it, let me know and I’ll be happy to mail you my copy for a while. If you would like to have someone do the guide for you and inspect the rod too, let me know. There is a maker in Frenchtown and a couple in the Boiling Springs area. Otherwise, contact Mary Kuss at The Sporting Gentleman. She probably knows of one or two in the area.

Good Luck,
Rolf

brookieaddict wrote:
Tim Murphy, grass will never cast with glass,graphite or boron. Its not the grasses fault its all about physics. If you like grass rods good on ya but dont make them into something they are not. They are wonderfull if you like nostalgia and thats where the honeymoon ends. I gave a great cane rod to a buddy because its great for chasing flys and his stroke was so bad he needed the slowest rod i could find and the one of grass did the trick. He still cant catch fish but he looks mighty pretty with that cane rod glittering in the sun. :cool: :lol: Graphit rules , grass is for cowz...

I like it!....has the making of a good signature.

Maurice wrote:
brookieaddict wrote:

I like it!....has the making of a good signature.

Not bad, but i prefer this one.

Graphite is for pencils and pencil necks. Go Natural! :-D

Let me ask you graphite guys a couple things. We all have heard the advantages of graphite. Lighter weight, etc, and I agree with all that. But in reality, the graphite is only the matrix in your otherwise composite (plastic) rods. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against plastics. Plastic is not a 4 letter word (like wood). Plastics have made all our lives easier. I worked for 6.5 years in the plastics industry, and where I have worked for the last 13 years also supports the plastic industry. So, you can say I have benefitted more than most from plastics.

Here is the question. In your overly expensive graphite matrix rods, what is the real seat insert made of? If the answer is wood, the second question is: why? :-D

My #1 graphite fly rod has a gray plastic insert (probably graphite). I guess that makes my cheap rod (purchase used) even better???

The weight difference is rarely more than an ounce when comparing similar lenght and line weight rods, and almost never more than 2 (for trout rids). If you are wearing yourself out casting the bamboo, Then your rod and reel are not balanced. You can have the same problem with a long graphite rod.

There are lots of good uses for graphite. For one thing, it is a pretty good lubricant. :-o

I was given an Orvis 8ft-8wt bamboo rod as a work reward.l
Used it a few times and traded for a graphite.
Was just to heavy to be a pleasure to use.
However I used a 5ft and 6ft bamboo when I lived in Pa.[pre wt. days about 4s] and found them to ideal for most eastern streams.
The question is how hi-tech do we want our sport to go?
I think things like fish finders go too far.
In fly fishing there have been a lot of improvements over the fifty years I have done it.Lines,leaders,hooks etc.. but a fine bamboo on appropriate waters is a pleasure to use that neither glass nor graphite exceeds.

I just bought my first bamboo rod, it's an Orvis 5wt. I have a many graphite rod's, from the zero gravity to Sage LL's, along with other noted makers. But I gotta tell-ya, that bamboo is sweet. There's a feel that glass and graphite can't replicate. I'll own more of bamboo, that's certain. I've just entered boo's doorway, but it's a place I'm gone to call home for sure........TightLines.

I think we have all become too wimpy, (me included) the very early fly fishers where small men compared to us, look at the grips on the old rods, they look like ladie's grips, they used rods up to 12, 14 feet, 9, 91/2, 10 foot rods were considered short. Of course they worked with axes, picks and shovels where we use mice??

1. Buy a new graphite w/ your money. I own and have used bamboos, both low end H/I and top-end Orvis, but they were far too slow for my taste. I used glass for many years, but when I got a couple of nicer graphites, I have never gone back. That has been more than 10 years, and I could get much nicer graphites now. I used a new graphite this spring my bro-in-law was fishing, and it was much more responsive than the ones I use. Truth be told, you can catch fish on any of them.
2. If you want to get your old rod repaired and don't know how, I'll bet there is someone in your TU chapter who likes to refurbish old rods. Ask around. If not, someone at a reputable fly shop could steer you in the right direction. Good luck.

Taking that theme further i have a 14 lb. rifle used for killing Tyranasouroses but i choose my 6 lb. Ruger instead. If bamboo or glass were good,stable,light,efficent materials, then graphite or other materials would not have been sought after to lighten,stiffen,dampen,and increase stored energy so we dont have to burn up 2000 calories casting one of the old re-bar rods our forefathers used. I would bet if one of the old timers were here and after casting both his choice would be graphite with no hesitation. 200 calories ay, hmm, thats about a banna split , wheres that old boo of mine at.

Further more if were gonna use grass rods lets use catgut for leaders and silk lines, and wet wade as they used to do. I can see the new fly fishing catolouge now " New for 2008 fast drying fishing nickers straight from Maurice Mills on Farmer Daves Farm, and dont forget your imported from littlejuniata shoes that are studded for advanced traction control". The new rod would weigh a mere 16 ounces and cast like the wind or at lesst sound like the wind as you cast it faster and faster, harder and harder trying to get a good 20 foot cast out of it. Oh the thought of wet wading in mid Feb. with you new and improved grass rod. Shiver me timbers.

LMAO!!

Now I'm a poser for wet wading. :lol:

Besides, I would also cut Tim Murphy in on the clothing deal, but knowing him, the fabric would probably be made from hemp fiber [color=009900]or something similar[/color].

Dave,

Isn't that rod in the pic plastic?

How big was that fish??? 20" wow!

It looks big even next to you.

Why yes, it is plastic, and so it the reel seat insert. But the grip is cork, which brings up another question. Why use cork on a plastic rod? I'm sure there are man made materials that do at least as good of a job and are easier to keep clean.;-)

I'd guess that smallmouth was about 20 inches, but to be honest, I didn't measure it. Biggest smallmouth I ever caught though. i was going to have it mounted, but decided to let her go. Allegheny River. Oops, now that stream will be overcrowded. :-D

I’ve been reading the posts and got a laugh or two. The only time I’ve really needed a circular rod was on the beach. The Ocean surf can be tough. on a bamboo rod. The only good thing about graphite is the warranty. That drives most of the price, where is the craftsmanship? I don’t really call graphite fibers, resins and epoxy technology. Overrated and underlined in most cases for performance. I guess it’s up to the individual, I for one would sooner cast that throw. Don’t get me wrong I’ve made a tomato stake or two but that is all part of the fun in the world of bamboo, but I’ve cast some circular rods that should be planted beside them. If you are thinking about bamboo but think they are slow compared to circulars rods, cast a modern quad or two and you’ll thing twice about plastic

Dave where is the Tweed at the dry cleaners?

Back