Bad Vibes on remote waters ?

I'm no expert but dealing with inmates for 26 years I know this. Criminals are like any other predator, they look for the weak and vulnerable. Eye contact and not acting nervous usually will keep you safe.

I took my Girlfriend now my wife fishing at night in a isolated spot. Two rough looking characters came out of the dark. I confronted them before they had a chance to size us up. When they left we hightailed it out of there. Could of turned out bad but they knew it was going to get ugly.

Swattie87 wrote:
Not that this will make the OP feel any better about SGL 211, but one of my weird(est) human encounters occurred there. It was New Years Day a few years ago, and while it was above freezing that day (40 deg maybe) there was snow on the ground. My wife and I decided to go for a hike and try to catch our first Trout of the new year, a bit of a tradition for us. We parked at the Gold Mine Road lot and hiked west on the rail trail with a plan to have lunch at Rausch Gap, and fish Rausch Creek below the diversion wells a little bit. This is approximately 3.5 miles from the Gold Mine Road lot, the closest vehicle access point.

When we got to Rausch Gap, there was a guy, alone, standing on the bridge over Rausch Creek. He was wearing white high top sneakers, a white T-shirt, and grey cotton sweatpants. I did not see that he had a backpack with additional gear. Weird. As we approached, I gave him the usual “Hi, how ya doin?” He didn’t respond, just kept staring down at the water.

My wife and I hiked downstream maybe a 1/4 mile along the creek and stopped and had lunch. We fished back up, and upon getting within eyesight of the bridge, I noticed him still standing there. We quit fishing, and hiked east in the woods a couple hundred yards parallel to the rail trail before popping up back on it. When we did, maybe 400 yards east of the Rausch Creek bridge, we noticed him start walking behind us, roughly a 1/4 mile down the trail. We double timed it from there. He never walked faster, or got any closer, but his behavior was definitely out of place. To be 3.5 miles from the nearest road, in those conditions, with such improper clothing? And to not respond? I was maybe being extra cautious as my wife was with me, but still.

We encountered 4 women walking their dogs about a mile up the trail from the lot on the way out. You could still see the man in the distance down the trail at the time. We relayed what happened, and they decided it best to turn around and walk out with us. When we got back, and got into our vehicle to leave, we noticed that all of the remaining vehicles belonged to the four women. The lot was empty when we left…And I could no longer see the man following behind us on the trail…

alright, that one is pretty creepy. Maybe it is just SGL 211 that it the weird place. I have never stepped foot in SGL 211.....but I am going to have to check it out sometime now.

Silverfox,

Tell the story about what happened when you came upon the meth cooking operation

Swattie, that time earlier this spring was the 1st time I have returned to the one place where we had the weird encounter. And I stayed away from the bottom end.

I'll do it again someday, but working up to it.

When walking back to my car in the dark after fishing I heard a bobcat screaming.

That will give you the willies.
l

My SGL 211 story aside, most of my other uneasy human encounters have occurred in the general eastern Schuylkill/Luzerne/Lackawanna/Carbon/Monroe area. FWIW. I generally don’t have those type of run ins in Central or North Central PA. Though equally mountainous, and arguably more remote, there’s just a lot less people there.

Don’t fish the western part of the state much but have heard some stories about spots in the Laurel Highlands, and read some threads posted on here about there being some rough, remote spots in that area.

pcray1231 wrote:
Swattie, that time earlier this spring was the 1st time I have returned to the one place where we had the weird encounter. And I stayed away from the bottom end.

Yeah. That one was Carbon County. Weird place. I’ve definitely lost my affinity for that stream since.

Swattie87 wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:

Yeah. That one was Carbon County. Weird place. I’ve definitely lost my affinity for that stream since.

This sounds interesting.....either Swattie or Pcray might have to elaborate on this one.

I feel so boring. All I do is go fishing. I rarely see a soul in many of the places that I go. Just plain, boring, fishing. No weird encounters, nothing unusual.

Spending the vast majority of my time in Central PA, I am with you, Swattie, other than conversations with landowners nothing happens. Even when they happen upon you with an accusing eye as soon as you tell them you are just catch and release fishing and aren't going to hurt anything, I have never had anyone care.

Eh, let’s just say a day of Brookie fishing turned into helping the local authorities with a pretty major investigation. No fishing ended up being done. At that stream at least.

As a general rule, I’d rather see bears, snakes, large predatory cats, etc, whatever, than other humans in the woods. Hate ticks though.

True story- Once while I was on the Chestnut Ridge I came across a nude photo shoot. Professional Photographer from the look of it. All the model had on was a climbing harness. Funny thing was I had met her previously at a Grateful Dead concert in Ohio. Traffic Opened for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur3xGSfvxV0

Nope. I never had any bad vibes like that while fishing. That's why I fly fish. I also drink a :) lot so that takes off the edge.

:) :) :)

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?"

I never had any encounters like those described by the op that really scared me in the Pa woods but I did run into a meth lab while hunting sheds in Illinois one early spring years ago. That did give me bad vibes. Those kind of bad actors do bother me. Needless to say, I cleared out of that area looking over my shoulder.
I’ve encountered a couple of strange people over the years but they didn’t come across as bad actors.
That being said, I’d just as soon not encounter rattle snakes. They give me the hebe jeebies!

Fear, the stench of death, bones, skulls, weird tales, no sun, brief cold, glimpses of imaginary movement. Raised hair, quick jerk, footprints, visions, beasts and non forgiveness of spirits of the mind!

Your generally fishing Spring Creek!

Appalachia, non sense. Pure at heart, pure to a freedom, un lifted by today. Passed by tomorrow!. Skills polished, woodmanship, outdoor skills, a still, a banjo, a tale, a wink, a smile, vittles, a snake, lore, a cure, hemlock and a tea!

Smooth smoke, warm fire, stuffed mattress, kiln dried, cold tempered, justified, diverse, occassional, deliberate, flowers, sticks and a big Horray!

Love those people, Kind of like Amish, not give up without a "Big Fight". You can get some of this by reading the campfire books.

Silent batch, builds small homes, teaches music, lore, hardware and handware! packs a year a head, keeps ammo close and foriegners distant!

I'll have one, as they reach under the counter! Rolling Thunder, i call it. Party is about to begin!

No-- not this is to be afraid of--your brother, cousin, father and friends are more of a concern.

That stench of animals trapped, shot, in your dish. Better than beef! I thank the will of Gods, for the Hillbillies.

Fear, you bring on by yourself. Keep it home, No show off here. Just a pure adventure of today. Keep em, give to a needed one.

I am quite disturbed, the term Appallachia was used. I generally refer to, Brothers and sisters.

Do not ever forget it.

Some gave and others gave all! Lots of families left go for progress. the expendables. The real fruit of the womb!

Guess you rubbed me and a culture, a little different. My culture is Hippie, theirs -----right.

Maxima12

Foxfire books, would be correct! I would greatly enjoy some Possum and Greens! Dandilion or watercrees.

White pure and a texture of good sound. Bed of grass with a Angel watching over me. Smoke some fish, roast a coon, blow a smoke ring then a nap!

Love you!

Maxima12

Ya, generally fishing around the Fayette-Nam area.

Bad vibes would be an understatement to describe how I felt hearing AR style semi-automatic weapons being fired within about 75 yards of me on a remote NC stream. Some "locals" were doing some shooting at random targets. I had to yell to them of my presence and that I needed to come through the area.

I know they weren't aware of anyone being around, but where they were shooting was not legal, regardless. I didn't say much to them while I passed, as I was out gunned.

You do not ever want to read the short story, "The Dead Man on Wendigo Brook."

I spent a lot of time on SGL 211. Deer hunting and fishing usually by myself. Always parked at the Cold Springs lot which puts you more or less in the middle of it. I had some strange feelings there as well.
At 11 or 12 I ran a trapline at night with a questionable flashlight. I don't scare easy. But I did have a few things happen on 211 that I question to this day.
One thing that I don't question is a couple of old mine shafts that I found. One was was nothing more than a hole in the ground, rimmed by leaves. They were both within half a mile of the Rausch Gap Shelter.

LetortAngler wrote:
Ya, generally fishing around the Fayette-Nam area.

In all the decades I've fished, sometimes in very remote areas throughout PA, Montana, Wyoming, Florida. Tennessee... I've felt that way only a few times... all on Dunbar Creek outside of Connellsville, PA.

The strangest things happened in the 70's and 80's. I've had:

A knife pulled on me in a parking area along the creek while I was packing in after a day's fishing.

My car trunk ruined by a crowbar trying to break in my car

A drunken moonshiner transporting gallons of the stuff wrecked head-on into a tree, staggered up the road with a plastic bottle in hand, where I happened to be walking along and came at me. He back off at the last second, cussing and swearing at me. He then just sat on a log along the road and started chugging. I ran to my car, took off and drove past him still sitting there. Further down the road I passed his truck with plastic jugs scattered all over the place. This was before cell phones-- 80's-- so I never called.

Quite a few "parties" up in the Dunbar Valley.

Then if all of that isn't enough, there is the ghost story of Betty Knox who some say still haunt the valley with her oxen.

I still fish it and haven't had any issues for many years. But when the evening shadows darken the deep mountain valley and the shadows lengthen, I find myself looking around more and sometimes get a chill.

Here is a quote from an architecture website:

"Evolution has programmed humans to desire environments where one can see but not be seen (refuge). Inherently, we seek out and are soothed subconsciously by spaces that offer a view, or Prospect, but impart a sense of protection, or Refuge."

I read about this concept years ago, in regard to how to design houses in such a way that the inhabitants can look out and see what is all around them, and see people approaching etc., but people outside can't see in.

In an "open woods" i.e. with a fairly open understory, or a savannah like landscape with mixed grassy areas and clumps of trees and shrubs, we feel more comfortable. Because you can see animals and people approaching. And if needed, you can duck behind a clump of trees and shrubs and be hidden, but still can see out.

But if you are walking on a narrow trail through a dark dense forest, deeply shaded by hemlocks, and with a thick understory of rhododendron or other tall shrubs, it's a totally different thing.

Animals or enemies can lurk in the dense vegetation near the trail and ambush you. They can see you, but you cant see them.

That is why the dark dense forests give people the willies. It's ingrained in our brains.

If the public land near you is of the deep, dark forest type, solutions could be going there on bright sunny days, and getting out of there before dusk arrives. And going there with a fishing buddy.

And don't watch scary movies.

Back