Backing: What's your favorite?favorite weight?favorite color?and why?

L

Lonewolve

What is your favorite Backing?i figured we had all asked whats our favorite this or that.What about backing?what say you?
Mine is Cortland Micron,white , or Chartreuse, i like 20 lb. Never had any issues. I have tried Sci Angler didn't care for it their Chartreuse bled into a few lines, Cortland never has for me.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

I have to answer this way, Rick. Who cares? I have never had an issue of backing being of insuffient quality. I laugh when I see backing being advertised. Really? Other than, say, in saltwater or other big-game angling where the backing is really expected to act as a running line, I would not concern myself with it.

When people talk about being "into their backing" with normal trout or even the average Erie Steelhead, my thoughts are, in this order:

1. Tippet too light;
2. Drag too loose (maybe as consequence of 1 above);
3. Played improperly;
4. Cast was too long to begin with;
5. Etc.

So, for someone of my mentality, backing is irrelevant as long as it is there and the knot is sound.

I have a few identical reels that are loaded with different weight lines, but all the lines are same color. I use different color backing to distinguish between the line weights at a glance. I don't really care about the specific color, just that they are different for each line weight.

cortland white, cause it was on sale!

JackM wrote:
4. Cast was too long to begin with;

No way. Any fish worthy enough to put you into backing after a hero cast that he took the fly on isn't too long.

Everything else you said, though, yeah. 100%.

I use orange super thin 30lb backing it most certainly helps me catch more fish. Stockies love it.

ive got some spiderwire 20lb braided line in camouflage on my one reel as backing, i lose the reel a lot cause its s hard to see now

just figured id make some conversation ,this was a subject i didn't noticed mentioned all that much, I do however get to see backing from time to time on the Upper Delaware, The Lehigh River, Saltwater, and also Great Lakes tribs {at times}.sorry if some were offended.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. im a confirmed Cortland Micron guy 20 lb

There was no offense, Lonewolf, just some perplexity expressed because most of us never see our backing. I just was adding a twist early as I expected without the opinion I expressed being made, your thread was likely to die a Lone-ly death.

Since I used shooting heads and mono running line,I never came close to seeing backing either so I was with Jm on this.Want to see one of garys hero casts.those sunnies must get big up there.

+1 for it doesn't matter.

Back