Back in March

T

Testudo20

Hey all, I'm coming home for spring break in mid/ late march and I wanna get on the water as much as possible. I just started fly fishing in January. I was wondering how much differently, if at all, I should approach streams in March as opposed to in January. I'm from Bucks county and mostly fished the little lehigh with prince nymphs and wooly buggers in Jan. Thanks for any advice!

nymphing, nymphing, nymphing...and dare i saw green weenies?

Many streams have BWO hatches in march that provide the first good dry fly fishing of the year

in march the flows will be higher and stronger than in january. have pleanty of heavy dark colored flies. nymphs for sure, if they arent taking then, switch to streamers, but get them deep. about 3-6'' off the bottom. if it warms up though, carry a few griffiths gnats and 7x tippet as well. they have pulled through for me on many afternoon hatches.

If you're not already aware of it, one difference is the rules - trout season is closed during March so you will have to fish in the special regulation areas (there are some other areas too).
Yes, generally you're dealing with warmer water and usually higher levels. Usually the special reg waters are a lot more crowded with fishermen in March as well. I'll second bog streamers if the water is high. As DFG said, maybe some Blue Winged Olive mayflies. Small stoneflies are sometimes out and about too.

FI wrote:

If you're not already aware of it, one difference is the rules - trout season is closed during March so you will have to fish in the special regulation areas (there are some other areas too).

I'm assuming the rules and regs for march are posted on the PFBC site .. why am I haveing such a hard time finding the info?

Linky by anyone would be much appreciated

Actually only the Approved Trout Waters and their downstream areas are closed in March (for stocking)

Unstocked streams and special reg areas are open.

No harvest of trout is permitted anywhere in the state however.

It's on page one (of the PDF) of the 2013 Pennsylvania Fishing Summary Booklet.

These waters are closed to all fishing (including taking of minnows) from March 1 to 8 a.m. on the opening day of the trout season. A person shall be deemed to be fishing if he or she has in posses
sion any fishing line, rod or other device that can be used for fishing while on or in any water or on the banks within 25 feet of any water where fishing is prohibited.

Link to page one (p 13 of the booklet):

Approved Trout Waters

The next page describes what areas are open all year long.

Maurice wrote:
Actually only the Approved Trout Waters and their downstream areas are closed in March (for stocking)

Question: Would that include unstocked / non-ATW tribs that are within and downstream of stocking points of an ATW?

Quote:

Maurice wrote:

Question: Would that include unstocked / non-ATW tribs that are within and downstream of stocking points of an ATW?

I believe it would.

I believe it does not. Only the ATW, not the tribs, are off limits, even if "downstream." As for downstream areas, I think that only has relevence for determining what streams are considered part of the "extended season" permissions, but I'd have to check to be sure.

bjb27_99 wrote:

Okay......here we go. :)

This debate - Where can we fish during closed season? - comes up every year on this forum usually in March and has caused great debate and discussion over the years. The regulations are vague. It is absolutely clear, however, that you cannot fish at all in areas that are conventional regulations and stocked with trout (ie Approved Trout Waters). Even this rule, however, has some exceptions where you can fish on a catch and release basis. "Downstream areas" below ATWs and as well as tribs are rather undefined (some people think "downstream" means to a county border)

Here's the bottom line, if you stick to special regulation areas or Class A sections or Wilderness sections (Class A/Wilderness areas aren't stocked) and release your fish, you should be okay.

Back