At what expense???

RLeeP,

Fair enough. I don't have concerns about the water table being damaged from depth (those last 2 words are important). It's deeper than the old wells so that makes it less likely, simply a lot more layers of rock overtop to seal it.

However, regardless of final depth, it still has to go through that top layer to get there, meaning it still has to be sealed and there will be the same issues. There are going to be a handful of water contamination (methane and/or frac water) incidents do to improper or broken seals. Since the stuff is piped around on the surface, your also likely to have the occasional pipe burst, etc.

In every instance, that needs to be investigated. As you said, the penalties for negligence or "cheap solutions" need to be severe enough to make it not worth the company's while. I won't say to bankrupt them, as lack of money leads to more negligence at other well sites. It's a tricky line to walk. But I will say that the company should be forced to pay full damages to any landowners effected and completely pay for any cleanup efforts. The most effective penalty might have to do with licensing/permits though, 1 screw up leads to a much more in depth investigation of the rest of their sites, and if sufficient evidence of widespread negligence is found, then the license to operate in PA is pulled. The question then is what to do with the rest of the companies wells, I don't know if there'd be a method to offer it to companies with a better track record, or if you just force the company to seal the holes and move out.

Back