As I am getting ready to go to Yellowstone on Wednesday

If you're in West, Henry's Fork is close by. It's only a few cfs over average for this time of year.

The Madison below Hebgen is actually below average flow according to the USGS gauge.

There are probably lots of options in the area outside the park. Give Blue Ribbon Flies a call.
He's got the right idea. The West Fork of the Madison may also fish well. This is from a couple of years ago:

He's got the right idea. The West Fork of the Madison may also fish well. This is from a couple of years ago:

The West Fork of the Madison is a major mud dumper, even in normal runoff years.

On the upside you may discover entirely new ways to fish you never thought you'd enjoy. My favorite part of fishing out west is how many different kinds of fishing there are for the same species. Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.

One of the ladies from the office, her sister and brother-in-law took the kids for a dream trip to Montana. They got into Yellowstone and settled in their remote cabin they rented just before the rain started. They are now trapped and food is being delivered by helicopter to the isolated families. They don't know how or when they're going to be able to get out of there and their flight from Wyoming is tomorrow. Very sad situation out there and the footage of the road damage and erosion is shocking to say the least.

Read this on FB >

DePuy Spring Creek and O'Hairs Spring Creek

I am sad to report the following regarding the Spring Creeks near Livingston, Montana
A section of road washed out just above the fly shop on DePuy's. Apparently the river breached the berm above O’Hairs. Both O’Hairs and Depuys look like the river. The road into the big house at Depuys is completely washed out just before the house and is nowhere near passable. Obviously the Creek will need a lot of work before it reopens. I am not sure how much damage was done to the berm and if it can be easily repaired.

The NPS just closed the park today because of severe flooding. A family trip that I had been planning for years was to visit and fish the Yellowstone next week and Missoula the following week. Now what do I do? I'm guessing the large rivers will be screwed for the next few weeks. We are staying in West Yellowstone next week and Missoula the following week. I guess we could fish the smaller mountain streams and fight of the grizzlies. I am just beyond WTH right now. Anybody have any ideas?
Just checked and the Missouri looks very good. Good luck

i remember some years ago when the Yellowstone went over its banks and was dumping into DePuys spring creek , wonder if that happened again or did they build a levy to prevent that

i remember some years ago when the Yellowstone went over its banks and was dumping into DePuys spring creek , wonder if that happened again or did they build a levy to prevent that
I remember reading about this some years ago also, and as I recall a project was done to prevent the Yellowstone from cutting laterally across the floodplain into that area. That was decades ago, I think.

But it sounds like this flood overwhelmed the engineering work.

DePuys and Armstrong have been greatly affected by the flooding.

A friend who lives in Gallatin Gateway thinks they're about to start losing bridges there. They're packing up a camper in case they have to leave their home. More damage to come, it seems. Amazing.

Personally, I'd stay home. Nothing like like going to a disaster area to try and... fish. And while the streams may eventually settle down, I imagine it may take months or a year to fix all the infrastructure to travel to the streams. So some streams mentioned may be in great shape, but you may not be able to get to them.

And that's not to say I'm not empathetic to your plight; I'd be majorly bummed too if I was planning a trip somewhere and that somewhere got destroyed.

The article posted above states "Apparently the river breached the berm above O’Hairs. Both O’Hairs and Depuys look like the river."

Personally, I'd stay home. Nothing like like going to a disaster area to try and... fish. And while the streams may eventually settle down, I imagine it may take months or a year to fix all the infrastructure to travel to the streams. So some streams mentioned may be in great shape, but you may not be able to get to them.
I agree that it doesn't make sense to go to a disaster area.

There are many other areas in the US and Canada that would be good for a vacation.

I'd also think there would be a lot of assorted debris in many of the streams/rivers in the region to contend with as well.

Its a huge state. Find a different part and enjoy. Its like saying don't come to PA to fish Spring Creek when the Delaware is flooding.

Its a huge state. Find a different part and enjoy. Its like saying don't come to PA to fish Spring Creek when the Delaware is flooding.
I think the problem is everyone will be scrambling to find other places to fish and reservations for lodging and outfitters are booked well in advance.

Can't disagree with your statement. I wonder how many trips are actually booked on the Yellowstone at this point of the year. In a typical year you would still be in run off.

Blue Ribbon Flies is resuming guide trips to the Madison today. There are plenty of places in the area to fish that don't involve the Park itself. Most trips that I've taken to the area, I've never bothered to fish in the Park.

BRF Fishing report

The West entrance may open as soon as Monday.

my buddy in Bozeman said he drove up to 3 dollar and SMASHED the fattie browns fishing an Atomic Worm and big, sz 12 Lightning Bug right directly along the bank in any slick spot he came across, dead-sticking it.
So do that!
Add Salmonfly nymphs. That's my recommendation.
PS: I probably shouldn't have shared that, but ... I'd make a lousy spy!
Syl

Back