Article about Ed Shenk

JimKennedy wrote:
I've been lurking on your site for years now and the article on Ed Shenk prompted me to register, in part because I have a question some of you Cumberland Valley guys may be able to answer. Mr. Shenk makes mention of trapping muskrat on the Letort with a buddy back in the day and it struck me he might be referring to another Le tort trapper and fly fisher Denny Moore. Anyone got any thoughts?

Hi Jim. Denny is probably 30 years younger than Ed. So I doubt it. Denny's dad, Enoch "Inky" Moore, might be a possibility.

McSneek wrote:
Nice article. I guess Ed would be the last of the great Cumberland Valley/Letort fishermen; Shenk, Fox, Marinaro, Koch and even Schweibert although he wasn't from the area. I think Schweibert, not Shenk, was the young man and protege in Fox's short stories.

Couple of sad things in the article. 1. Shenk himself says the Letort is "done." I would agree based on descriptions of it in it's early days.
2. Why does TU list Spruce Creek as a top 100 stream as recently as 2014? A degraded stream that's probably 95% private and loaded with stocked fish. Should never be on a list of top streams.

Looked it up and found it. Sorta tongue and cheek....Spruce Creek

afishinado wrote:
McSneek wrote:
Nice article. I guess Ed would be the last of the great Cumberland Valley/Letort fishermen; Shenk, Fox, Marinaro, Koch and even Schweibert although he wasn't from the area. I think Schweibert, not Shenk, was the young man and protege in Fox's short stories.

Couple of sad things in the article. 1. Shenk himself says the Letort is "done." I would agree based on descriptions of it in it's early days.
2. Why does TU list Spruce Creek as a top 100 stream as recently as 2014? A degraded stream that's probably 95% private and loaded with stocked fish. Should never be on a list of top streams.

Looked it up and found it. Sorta tongue and cheek....Spruce Creek

The comment suggesting you can play Augusta for $150 just adds to the absurdity of Spruce Creek and the pellet hogs being considered a top 100 stream. lol

Hadn't thought about that, but Inky Moore probably makes more sense. Denny does this routine for kids where he shows about how his dad taught him to trap muskrats on the LeTort and when I read about Mr. Shank's muskrat trapping exploits, that's immediately what I thought of.

Thanx CastingAcross.

jk
CastingAcross wrote:
JimKennedy wrote:
I've been lurking on your site for years now and the article on Ed Shenk prompted me to register, in part because I have a question some of you Cumberland Valley guys may be able to answer. Mr. Shenk makes mention of trapping muskrat on the Letort with a buddy back in the day and it struck me he might be referring to another Le tort trapper and fly fisher Denny Moore. Anyone got any thoughts?

Hi Jim. Denny is probably 30 years younger than Ed. So I doubt it. Denny's dad, Enoch "Inky" Moore, might be a possibility.

Back