Army Corps public comment meeting for 2016 Lehigh River Flow Plan

S

Smike

We need as many FF voices as possible at this year’s meeting being held by the Army Corps to take public comments for the 2016 Flow plan. In the recent years flow plans have been adjusted for fishing releases as well as using storage to offset low flows in the peak of summer heat. We need to continue to push for making any and all adjustments possible to support more cold water releases. Its working, but it could be even better. Here is a wild brown caught in a remote location more than 8 miles from any stocking.

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Media/NewsReleases/tabid/4659/Article/623019/army-corps-to-hold-public-comment-meeting-for-fe-walter-dam-recreation-plan.aspx

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 12
Ya they could definitely use some improvement. Just this past week they were dumping 450 cfs from the Dam which is a bit too much for wading easily (maybe good for drift boats though). They run that for days and then abruptly drop it to 140 cfs which is a trickle. Why not just run at 300 for as much as possible when white water releases are needed? I'm going to try and make this meeting cause I'm sure I dont understand clearly but between FEW and Beltzville it's enough to wanna pull your hair out over. ACE makes no sense.

Agreed, saving more storage for increase levels during low flows would make a very large difference for the river. Especially during July/Aug.

I think the 400 CFS fishing enhancement target is meant for providing optumal flows for float fishing. But its effect can be a +/- depending on time of year. Right now 400 out of the dam would only help float the upper section at best. In spring holding back a flow of 2000 would make the lower sections better to float (in general terms anyway)

Guys...please review this past years flow plan. The Corps typically releases 100 CFS over inflow during the months of July and August. In the past 3-4 years we (LCFA) have noticed significant benefits to the trout, especially the wild trout, as in there is more of them now.

The 400 CFS "limit" is used to provide some limited wading opportunities with some float fishing options. Its not the best of both worlds but it compromises between the two.

Check out this webpage and get up to speed on what's going on with FEW.
http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/FrancisEWalterDam.aspx

If you guys can make the meeting that would be great. Fisherman need to make more of a presence at these kind of meetings

The recent flow plans have been the most beneficial in terms of supporting the fish, and we need to make sure we don’t go backwards. Although I would not stop at ‘good enough’. I’m not saying we should go in guns a blazing, but there are discussion points which can lead to better conditions for wild trout.

Pushing as many of the WW release to later in the season helps save as much of the cold pool as possible (hard sell to the WW folks)

Asking to remove or smooth out the Yo Yo release pattern on fishing release weekends would be another benefit as fish get displaced or stop feeding when the flows are whipping up and down over a short period of time.

Increasing the flow augmentation (release over inflow) during FF enhancement releases would be another ask. They seemed to have had more than enough storage this year to nearly double what they were releasing during low flows (200 cfs instead of 100 cfs) . Instead it was held and then released in the mega WW release this past weekend. Which points to the current plan calling for the use of excess reserves for the benefit of the WW release (bigger release) instead of increasing the augmentation during low flows.

I’m reading the flow modeling plan again and will be sure to come up with more things the FF groups can ask which would improve further.

Regarding increasing the size of the coldwater pool - the Corps is 100% opposed to going to more than 1370'. 1370' is I believe 15% of the flood storage which is what is authorized under the current operations manual for Walter for seasonal recreation operations. They (the dam operator) won't go more than that. Unless of course we move into a drought event for the Delaware watershed - if that is the case, Walter stores water for the DRBC to 1,392' for low flow augmentation. Flood storage can also cause Walter to increase more than 1,370'.

Yo yo flows - this past mega release - a gradual ramp down in the release would have been beneficial, I don't disagree with that. However, any ramp down in the release during the 'trout season' only increases the depletion rate of the limited amount of coldwater that Walter has due to the extension of the release time.

I think the biggest advantage that Walter can provide the downstream trout fishery is increased flows during the summer months. Until something can be done to the release capability (selective withdrawl) - more water in the river is what will help the river most.

How long do these meetings run? How many usually attend? I'm thinking of running up from West Chester (about 90 min) and dunno if I should plan staying overnight.

Although I'm sure there would be too much opposition to ever get it through -- is anyone pushing for putting an end to whitewater releases altogether?

Was just on the Lehigh yesterday for a guided wade trip. Went down to the lower river to fish around Palmerton and took some photos while I was there... literally half of the stream bed is dry right now. This can't be good for the fish and bugs even though the water is at fall temperatures.

Due to the low water I am cancelling all of my float trips on the Lehigh this week coming up and maybe potentially trips next week if we don't see rain and increased flows. Would have been nice to have some floatable water through the fall but they blew the dam out last weekend and had two days of flows that were pushing 4,000 CFS. Is this what we call sharing the resource? So for a weekend of "EPIC" floating now NOBODY can float.

Yesterday I checked the flows coming out of F.E.W and it was 141 CFS. This makes for perfect wade fishing opportunities with the low water but elderly, children and people who generally struggle with wading are still going to struggle with the wading.

It's frustrating for me because the river has hardly reached floatable levels this fall. That mega release they let go last weekend was a huge waste of water. I don't think the rafters are ever going away (as much as I'd like to see them go and the trash they leave behind). Can we get rid of them? Lol.

I am going to the meeting. I have been speaking with some other experienced Lehigh anglers and we were thinking about organizing a group to fish the river prior to the meeting. You can tag along with us and we will share some of what we know about the river...but you have to come to the meeting. There is some very good fishing to be had with the low flows.

The mega release at the end of the season has always been considered a waste by the LCFA. Spread the water out is a better option but the recreation white water crowd loves it and it does not happen every year. The fact that it has been written into the seasonal recreation flow plan - I doubt it going also. Also, the whitewater releases will never go away. They are are a true economic factor in the poconos. They employee quite a few season employees and fill hotels. But that is not to say the fishing industry is not anything to scoff at. It is much more of a difficult number to measure. More of a voice from anglers and guides is something the LCFA has always advocated.

I truly think there is a new breed of angler that seeks more of an adventure and different experience than your cookie cutter PA trout stream. This is something the Lehigh has (rugged, big water, can be remote, trout) and no other water in eastern PA has that. It's a great resource and imo getting better.

Yes, but to some extent the WW and fishing management needs are at odds. And as we all know, the river is currently managed w/ a WW first perspective.

I've seen some numbers thrown around about the economic impact of the WW operations ... mind you these are numbers thrown around by people in the WW business ... and they're not that high. $11 million annually or so. And I'm confident that most of that goes into the pockets of a handful of operators. WW visitors don't spend much money except the ticket price of rafting down the river.

I'm confident that a fishing economy would meet or exceed that (honestly, I think it would dwarf it) in annual revenue injection, and I'd have to imagine that it would have a major impact on property values that would make the equation completely and totally lopsided. In fairness, I don't know much about the public/private ownership along the river -- so maybe someone more familiar with the area can chime in on that front.

Great to see the discussion. I certainly would like to know what the LCFA and the LSA find as reasonable goals and things to ask for. The influence comes from having a shared agenda by the same folks.

@greenlander The Lehigh is one of the more publicity open rivers I've been on (east or west) Public Access on say the WB of the Delaware pales by comparison. The gorge alone has 20+ miles of uniterupted access for the wade fisherman. All of it with a relatively flat hike and bike path. For floating the lower has numerous ramps.(a new one going in as we speak) Accessing the river and not being confronted by a blast of no trespassing signs is one of the gems in the heart of the overly posted PocoNo's.

@VCregular I agreed, there is a new breed that wants adventure and big water, the "western river" flavor here at home. It's all there just waiting for the tweaks to get the fishing to match.

I hope to make the meeting as well.

Floated yesterday with PhilC. In spite of cold temps, low water and high winds, we did find hatches and rising fish. The last 2 trips, I've seen small olives in numbers that match or exceed what I've seen on D. Pretty impressive. There were a few ISO and some various color phase stenos. We had a 2 hour window where we saw 20-30 different fish feeding on top.

I agree that many people are finding that the big water fishing can be quite fun but WW rules the roost on the Lehigh. It's unfortunate but reality. A economic study like they conducted on the Delaware might give anglers firmer ground to make their arguments. I think it's indisputable that fishermen would bring more to the local economy than the 'hit and run' rafters do. Getting the local businesses to see that is one of the hurdles. It's a gat opportunity for guide boats due to the difficulty when wading.

They do need to ramp up / ramp down when doing releases. It's only going to help the insect and fish populations adjust. Look at it this way.....it's a decent fishery as it stands. Jus a small tweak could make a BIG difference. Some additional regs or closing it during spawning til opening day couldn't hurt either.

I have spoken to more than a few folks that are of the opinion that, with proper management, the Lehigh could be every bit as good a fishery as the Delaware is.

I have spoken to more than a few folks that are of the opinion that, with proper management, the Lehigh could be every bit as good a fishery as the Delaware is.

Couldn't agree more, and any one of these fish caught on the Lehigh I would be estatic to catch on the WB.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 6
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
    FullSizeRender3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5
Some more Lehigh River fish. Smike, made me hold the fish closer to the camera.

The first pic is of a wild brown caught in the gorge. The second and third are pics of wild fish caught 25 miles from the dam...I think it's pretty impressive that wild fish are being caught that far downriver F.E.W. Just think what the river could produce with some changes in how they manage the releases.

Attachments

• USACE.jpg
    USACE.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 3
  • USACE 1.jpg
    USACE 1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Usace 2.jpg
    Usace 2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3
Those fish are not that big, you head is just that small...

If anyone has any doubts about how this river looks ala western style:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 5
For those that are attending this meeting, the LCFA would be willing to hold a "Pre-meeting" gathering in the hotel lobby at 5:15 for those interested in a brief overview of the history of the Flow Plans, limitations with the Plan(s), what has been advocated for in the past, and what is non-negotiable. We can also touch on progress towards future changes and the "big" picture.

The interest expressed on this forum has been fantastic. The river and especially the wild trout that live in the Lehigh need your voices to be heard at these meetings.

Feel free to PM me or reply to this post if your interested in attending.

Thank you - Dean

"Every bit as good as the WB" ? I'm not sure about that and secondly WB, blah, blah. Everyone flocks to that river but there's about 75 miles of water attached that's just as good if you understand where and when to fish it. The fish are highly migratory. You could catch a bow in April while fishing the Willowemoc and catch the same fish in Stockport in mid June. That's around 40 river mikes apart. I believe the Lehigh fish are also on the move for a fair part of the year. I haven't seen fish numbers or average sizes that make me want to put the Delaware system on the back burner but I'm willing to give it a few more shots. The Lehigh fish are definitely easier to fool.

The Yough is cut from the same cloth as the Lehigh and has its own issues. Maybe fishermen standing together to be heard can make a difference. If so, the same attention can go towards the Yough and the untapped Raystown tailwater opportunities.

Back