Are there any fly shops left?

T

tddeangelo

After a long hiatus I'm back to flyfishing more regularly. When I started flyfishing originally (early 1990's), there were a few fly shops....but it seems like most are gone now.

I live near Cabela's, but I wouldn't consider their flyfishing section the equivalent of a fly shop. I've talked to some folks there who are knowledgeable....and some that were either filling in that day or whatever. Regardless, a fly shop it ain't.

Reading/Berks area....are there any fly shops other than TCO?

Where do you like to fly fish? I agree with you about Cabela's. They are now a very different and not better company since the Bass Pro Shop merger. IMO.

Obviously, you know about TCO in Reading/Berks. I am very fortunate to have two local fly shops where I do most of my fly fishing, and I support both of them.

I spent this past weekend at my 40th Juniata College weekend in Huntingdon. I went to the Spruce Creek Fly Shop, and the owner could not have been more helpful. I was very upfront and honest about being a mediocre fly fisherman being challenged by wild and pressured trout in the Little Juniata.

I know it didn't hurt my cause that the owner's two daughters also went to Juniata College(He told me that).

Click on "Content" at the top of the website and you will find a list of fly shops. Hopefully, there is one nearby where you like to fish.

Thanks! I'll check that area of the site out.

In the past I have fished the Little Schuylkill and the Tulpehocken locally....the Susquehanna for bass (I gotta get my jet boat up and running again for that) and I was looking to wade the Schuylkill for smallies this summer (since it's close).

I've fished a bunch of places in PA, but those are going to be my most common spots.

Last spring I replaced my 30 yr old Browning fly rod with an Orvis Recon 2 (5wt/9'). Ideally, I'm thinking of adding a 6 or 7 weight for throwing chunkier bass flies and was hoping to have a place to check out rods and talk things through.

FYI.

I have the Orvis Recon 9'/5 wt.(same thing with the Helious 3D). I like them both. The reels that came with them are different(Mirage with the Helious and Hydros with the Recon), but I don't see enough of a difference. Both are good.

I have an Orvis 9' 7 wt. Recon that I like a lot. I think that the extended butt section against my forearm makes me a better caster.

I cast better into the wind with the heavier weigh fly line, but I think that everyone else does too.

Good to know, thank you! I like my Recon 5wt. and I have an older Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3wt that I like a lot, so a heavier fast-action rod for more demanding casts on a river would be nice. I wouldn't turn down a 6, but it seems too close to the 5 to merit a whole other rig.

Total side note, I picked up an Orvis Guide sling pack and took it for its first outing on Friday. I was a little nervous, having used vests for a long time, but I really, really like that sling!

The fly shop as it once was has went the way of the wild indian.

Fly shops, like everything it seems, have gone the way of big conglomerates, especially in Central PA. I'd guess it has to do with the companies (Sage, Simms, Orvis, et. al.) requiring certain numbers for certain price points and having an internet presence. While I like the current staff at TCO in Boiling Springs I miss the old individual shops.

That's a long-winded way of saying you probably have to deal with TCO.

I can go paw over some rods at Cabela's, too....that's less than 10 min from my house.

I miss the Wilderness Trekker in New Ringgold. I spent a lot of time and a fair bit of money there years ago.

I like Precision Fly and Tackle in Lancaster they have done good by me.

If you ever get into ncpa there are 2 shops worth mentioning, they are both all around tackle shops, but have dedicated flyfishing sections that have everything you need.

JD's baitntackle, located right next to Miller's Gunshop outside Lock Haven. It's a short distance from Big Fishing Creek and Bald Eagle Creek.

Tackle Shack in Wellsboro, also has a phenomenal ice fishing selection and the owner, Don Kelly, does a ton of educational events.

Evening Hatch and AA outfitters in Whie Haven amd Blakeslee area respectively.

I second Precision Fly and Tackle in Lancaster. It’s a real fly shop.
Precision FT is a sponsor of this site and has excellent fly shops in Lancaster, Mount Holly Springs (Cumberland County), and in western Maryland on Beaver Creek.

Pocono Fly Fishing in Weissport just recently opened I believe. It's less than an hour from Cabela's, and you should be able to find a few places to fish in the vicinity. I haven't been in there yet.

Didn't know that. Not far from me. Need to check 'em out

Their website says they have Taylor. No mention of any other brands as far as rods/reels.

After a long hiatus I'm back to flyfishing more regularly. When I started flyfishing originally (early 1990's), there were a few fly shops....but it seems like most are gone now.

I live near Cabela's, but I wouldn't consider their flyfishing section the equivalent of a fly shop. I've talked to some folks there who are knowledgeable....and some that were either filling in that day or whatever. Regardless, a fly shop it ain't.

Reading/Berks area....are there any fly shops other than TCO?
TCO in Reading is a legit fly shop that carries many brands of all the tackle and equipment you need to FF or tie flies. The staff there is very knowledgeable and able to help you get back into the sport.

Last edited:
I had a great experience at The Evening Hatch fly shop in White Haven. I noticed a cut in my fly a few inches from the loop to loop connection.

I have never seen this woman before and told her I needed to buy new fly line and showed her why.

She said she could tie 20 lb. Mono to my fly line after cutting it below where the line was cut with a half blood knot and then tie a Lefty Kreh non slip knot on the other end. She did a great job and knew her knots.

She didn't charge me anything, which I really appreciate. It is a five hour round trip drive for me to go to the Poconos at today's gas prices. What a break not to have to buy new fly line.

That's a long-winded way of saying you probably have to deal with TCO.

I'd much rather "deal" with TCO than walk into a shop that has little more than a small selection of flies and a few leaders and ratty old tying material hanging off some peg board.

TCO, yes please!

Back