Are polarized glasses a must?

passionfly

passionfly

Hi all. Just wondering if I really need polarized sunglasses. Are they worth it? I have become decent at spotting trout but was wondering if they could help me catch more fish?

Yes & Yes to your first two questions. Probably on the third question. Polarized glasses will help you see fish that you wouldn't likely have seen without them, and that increases your chances of catching more fish. Plus it certainly helps when wading to see the bottom more clearly.

I've been fly fishing since I was 16 years old. I could count on one hand how many times I wore polarized glasses.
So, define "necessary"

I've been fly fishing since I was 16 years old. I could count on one hand how many times I wore polarized glasses.
So, define "necessary"
I have no feeling in my left foot due to spinal surgery, so the only I know if it's trapped under a rock is to look, so yes, necessary.

They are necessary and very useful.

I fished for many years without polarized glasses, or with glasses that were not optimal. Went to Smith this year and will never go back. Definitely increases the number of hookups and being able to see the fish in clarity.

To be pedantic - no. They aren't necessary.

They are however extremely nice to have. I love wearing them and seeing in the water. As others have already mentioned, it is helpful for wading to see the bottom & rocks. Also great to see fish and structure. I've got at least 3 pairs of prescription sunglasses that are polarized. Different colors & levels of tint are nice for brighter vs darker days or morning vs midday vs evening. You can get nice perscription ones for about $80 online. Probably much cheaper if you don't need prescription lenses.

If you fish regularly, I really would suggest getting a pair.

I've fished for many years just wearing sunglasses, even when I first took up fly fishing I didn't wear them but it was suggested by the owner of the fly shop that I get a pair. It made a difference when wading in clear water I could actually see the bottom and was able to avoid larger rocks and I could see fish. I never brought an expensive pair. When I started to wear glasses full time, at the time I couldn't afford to buy a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses, I started using Cocoons, not the best, but they served the purpose. I blacked out the lens colored pieces on the side, and that made them even better. I don't wade as much these days but they come in handy for spotting fish from the boat, and also sunken trees, large rocks or in the case of the lake where I go in Ontario, shoals that rise out of 40 or 50 feet of water to within a couple of feet of the surface. Yeah, I would recommend you get a pair.

They really help see and also protect your eyes.

Yes. I consider them necessary. They allow me to see everything when the water is clear. I would have ripped open the bottom of my boat on more than a couple dozen occasions without them Cutting the glare and allowing me to see underwater rocks. I won’t go as far as to suggest they will help you catch more fish but you will most definitely see more of what’s under the water.

If you invest in a decent pair of polarized sunglasses, I would suggest you get ones that provide UV protection. Not all do.
And yes, they definitely reduce glare and help you to see better.

Sunglasses are nice to have, yes, they help you see the bottom much better.

As as spotting trout that's great, but if you're relying on that to find fish or judge a stream that's bad call. Trout can be very, very timid and are excellent at hiding. I can think of a few small streams where you can wade through on a bad day of fishing and you'd swear it was lifeless without a fish but you return on a good day and there are trout everywhere. Just remember that, a good trout stream most likely has way more trout than you ever realize and you don't see the majority of them.

big difference between sunglasses and polarized sunglasses.

Good polarized glasses make a huge improvement on the ability to see structure subsurface. I think actually seeing fish is an almost an artform and some folks just don't have the talent and capabilities to do it on a regular basis. Some can spot a tail or pectoral fin sticking out of cover 100ft away....

Regardless polarized glasses are pretty much a must for me during daylight on the water.

Good polarized glasses make a huge improvement on the ability to see structure subsurface. I think actually seeing fish is an almost an artform and some folks just don't have the talent and capabilities to do it on a regular basis. Some can spot a tail or pectoral fin sticking out of cover 100ft away....

Regardless polarized glasses are pretty much a must for me during daylight on the water.
True enough. And I fancy myself pretty good at spotting fish and being very observant on the water. But there is no way to measure the accuracy of spotting fish because no one knows how many fish are there. Okay, you saw two trout in a small run....two out of how many?

The fact still remains you will only see a very small percentage of trout in a given stream.

Back