Appraisals needed on fly fishing rods

I beg to differ. ALL those rods will still catch fish.
yes, they will cast vastly different than current rods, but unless they are broken in half, they will work just fine. I've already ran the full circle. had to have the latest and best, and then realized the fish just don't give a crap, going back to rods that I too thought were no good and having a blast fishing them again, which, in the end, is the entire point to this whole thing.
get a 5lb bass or a nice steelhead on a classic glass rod and the dance is ON!
it's the same thing in motorcycles, some folks have to have the latest and fastest, some folks are happy to putt along on something vintage, both are having fun, and nothing wrong with either.

Here's info on all Fenwick rods.

There's a "nostalgia" about Fenwicks and they can usually go for a fairly good price in good condition. I'd guess that your will go for $100+ easily.

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182977/Fenwick

I love that Fenwick and I desire to hold it and caress it.

Sucks to people who wouldn't use those rods! I fish constantly w/ a Fenwick. I love it. I'd probably use it all the time if it was a 9'!

CatchingChrome wrote:
Learn to use them. That would be like telling someone to learn to drive on a Model T. I don't want to rain on the parade but those rods have pretty much no value other than wall hangers. Unless you are someone that wants to fish with glass. Other than the fenwick and the southbend Bamboo the others are almost through ways.

Maybe an MG, but something small, darty and British with ample amounts of distinction with the stink of "why?" to people who buy overweight modern sportscars and pretend they've got roadsters.

Certainly not a Model T, though, because if you actually knew jack about cars you'd know the Model T had a completely alien set of controls compared to all cars that came afterwards.

I'll trust the other guys' values, except for the SB which is worth ****all if its 59, and moderately more as a 159 or moreso as a 359. No one wants the bass rods, although maybe you'll find it enjoyable to use. I've been fishing with a South Bend 359 this year, which is entirely usable and fun if you're into working out. I can't imagine using a bass weight 59, and if anything in your list is destined for "wall hanger" status its probably this rod. However, YMMV. It all comes down to what model it is. This guy, though, is certainly the classic Ford Model A of your lineup. :)

The Fenwick stands out, as people want 'em now. That's not a desirable model, but does come with the removable handle which you don't see too often. I can't imagine whipping that thing around, but you'd be damned right that I'd fish the crap out of it if I went for trib steelhead.

The other fiberglass rods are a different bag. A 6wt fiberglass rod is just as usuable, if not more so, than a graphite 5wt, you just need to let it work with you. None of them are gonna be award winning examples, but would probably be a blast for bass (if they're 7wts) or trout (6wt).

A fly rod doesn't have to be super long nor modern to do everything it needs to do, however some rods are better known than others. You may be surprised just how much enjoyment a slower, fuller flexing rod can be to cast if you let yourself look beyond people's opinions. Fiberglass is currently experiencing a resurgence, and while the many new boutique (and major!) makers gets all the attention, there's a simmering underground of classic glass afficiandos, not unlike in bamboo.

The Medalist looks like a later edition American made model. What does it have stamped on the reel by the seat? Made in Dakron or Made in America? Is it marked 149x or 149xDA? With the recent loss of the Medalist line to cost cutting, its had a good resurgence in value but I'd hold on to it. That should be full reversible, LHW/RHW. Some people, even those with the means to fish high tech crap, prefer the Medalist over even their fancy Abels with fancy graphics. You just won't see it with a cheesey smile held up next to every little fish they catch. It was a standard, either of excellence (in the '40s and '50s) or just plain blue collar usability ('60s through '80s) in fly reels.

There's not a fish alive that hasn't been caught by a cheap fiberglass rod and Medalist fly reel. Don't let gear snobs convince you otherwise.

post script: someone was nice enough to note line weight on your south bend. hch/c is more-or-less equivilent to a modern 7DT or 7 level line.

you might get away with a 6wt line, but you should start with a 7.

this doesn't determine rod "taper." The simple method to noting South Bend tapers is teh model number.
A two digit model (ie, "59") is a "bass taper" rod.
A 1-two digit ("159") is a "wet fly action" rod.
A 3-two digit ("359") is a "dry fly action" rod.

Clark's has catalogue pages from the '30s through '40s. You've got a pre-comficient grip. Late '30s is my _best guess_, but I am not a lawyer nor an expert on antique fly rods.

Just curious is that South Bend a bamboo? If it is that could be worth some real money. My personal opinion it seems like you have a great collection and an opportunity to carry on a family tradition. I say outfit em all and hit the water!!!! It is obvious whoever owned them previously really cared for them and I am sure had great reverence for his/her sport. Good luck on your search. I hope this little quest gets you into fly fishing. It obviously runs in your family.

Back