Anyone Else out with Fly Rod Opening Day?

Made it out a little bit this afternoon too. Wasn’t planning on it, but got errands done this morning, and it was too nice to sit on the couch, but not quite nice enough to wash/wax a car...Or so I told myself.

Went to a local STW that also has wild Trout. Saw a few guys out (all spinning tackle) on the bottom half of the stocked stretch. One was landing a Rainbow as I went by. I fished the uppermost couple hundred yards of the stocked stretch and up into the unstocked portion. Had it to myself. Was actually hoping to catch a stocker for dinner tonight and help out the wild fish a little bit by removing one, but, all I caught were wild fish. 4 Brookies and a Brown. The Brown was just over legal size, but I let it go. Leftover pizza it was.

Tons of bugs out. There was a small-18ish light gray Mayfly (BWO I assume) in good numbers, and a larger-12/14ish dark gray Mayfly, QG or Hendrickson maybe? Some small dark Stoneflies too, and small dark Caddis. Fished the same X-Caddis with BWO dropper I did yesterday. Brookies all ate the dry, the Brown ate the dropper.

I was at work in the morning so I didn't make it out to S Branch Codorus until 3:00 , saw two other fly guys, I didn't stir a fish in the two hours. It was quite a different story two weeks earlier when I fished the same water and caught twenty Brookies

I fished the PA opening day in Maryland on a local limestone spring. It was an unplanned trip. More or less poking around to see what was hatching. I ended up finding a nice midge hatch in the late afternoon around 5pm. I caught a half dozen wild browns on a griffith's gnat and a cdc puff midge.

On Sunday, I took a day trip out to the Savage and was brutalized by the breezy conditions and bright sunshine. There was an hour long window, when I first arrived, where I had a few dry fly targets with midges and stoneflies. I broke a couple off on the hookset and stung too early on a few more. I tried nymphing, but I could not get a good presentation to save my life with the wind gusts. I ended up throwing streamers on the North Branch, which saved the day with a few rainbows. The second rainbow was a nice 17 inch fish, which looked pretty wild to me. It certainly acted that way with the screaming runs and jumps, but I will assume it was a long term hold over.

Attachments

• Openning Day 2.jpg
    Openning Day 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Openning Day 3.jpg
    Openning Day 3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Openning Day 1.jpg
    Openning Day 1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
I did!! I caught my first trout with a fly rod too!!

I remember how good that felt for me one year ago when I caught my first trout on a fly. Congrats!
Goose43 wrote:
I did!! I caught my first trout with a fly rod too!!

Hit an Adams county stream in the afternoon. The rainbows that survived the early morning gauntlet couldn't resist a copper john. Was a fun evening.

Saw 8-10 fly rods when spot hopping, even some kids I would guess under 12. Even saw some pinners.

Overall it was my best opening day experience when it comes to people.

Back