Anyone else have trouble with Cabelas lately?

I have a Cabela's Visa card, where I get points back and all that jazz. Yeah, I know I can jump online and go back and look at all my purchases going back years. I'd think they'd take that.

That said, in this situation, they DID give you a full refund. It's not as much as what you paid, but that's your fault. Proof of purchase, and purchase price, is up to you, not them. Lets run down the list here:

1. They offered to take an item back that was broken due to misuse, not a defect of some sort.
2. They trusted you that you bought it there, despite you having no proof that you did (even if Cabela's branded, you could have bought it used for all they know).
3. Since you can't show what you paid, or when you paid it, they look up in their system and use the last price.
4. They give you a refund for 100% of said price.

I just have no clue what more you may want from them. If, in the case of no receipt or other proof of purchase, they offered the HIGHEST price they ever sold it for, well, people would make a business out of buying stuff on sale and returning it for a larger refund.

Thanks guys and perhaps gals for the help. I was pretty mad last Saturday when I had got back home from my little adventure. If their 1-800 customer service wouldn't have told me that I could return the rod in store for 100% of what I paid for it I would have never even got upset over the matter. Like I said before, I'll just chalk this up as a lesson learned.

An increasingly higher incidence of customer service trouble with Cabela's is a natural outgrowth, IMO, of the impersonalization that tends to crop up when a company becomes that large. I personally haven't had any of these sorts of issues with Cabela's though.

I did give them H... in writing though for dropping Cortland fly lines from their print catalog and they sent me a nice "now now, Bob" reply. Probably boilerplate computer generated verbiage cooked up in some back corner office at The World's Foremost Bank...

Back