Anybody Ever Fish Monocacy River Near Frederick, MD

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

Not talking about Monocacy Creek, but Monocacy River which is above Frederick, MD and flows into the Potomac. I have read good things about smallmouth, well above the mouth, and wonder if anyone has any experience. I searched the Forums and did find one or two references to it, but wonder if anyone had anything to add.

Thanks!

I'm from the area Steve and the Monocacy is a fantastic warm water fishery. One down side is the indian meaning on the river, which translates to "muddy river". From it's headwaters in PA, it flows through many miles of farm land and dirties very quickly. If it is clear, then it's great to fish. Be warned! If the river is slightly off color, it can be extremely scary. I have personally stepped into a hole over my head in off-color conditions. Going from waist high to not touching the bottom is never cool. And there are a ton of holes like that.

I personally prefer it's lower reaches a few miles up river from the mouth at ****erson. If you go be sure to carry silver poppers and olive streamers / buggers.

You can't judge clarity from the USGS stream gauges either. If there is a good storm the night before upstream, there's a very good chance that the river will be off-color and low.

If you decide to go and it's blown out, then you have the mighty Mac as a back up. You will only be a half hour away from some of the best smallie fishing on the Mac. You'll be about an hour away from the Shenandoah River. I recommend fishing above the dam and below in the Millville area. It is heavily patrolled, but has excellent smallie fishing with nice runs and long slate pools.

Good Luck and BE SAFE!

+1 to Midgeman - esp the part about the muddy conditions.

Stick to the lower reaches. The upper Monocacy starts at the PA line and is a poor fishery. There's some spots I like but it isn't near to its potential. I've long suspected that our sewage treatment plant here in Gettysburg is likely part of the problem. This plant has some upgrades coming soon and hopefully that will help the upper Monocacy. The lower sections are excellent and, last time I checked, were part of an experiment with C&R regs for smallies. I release all bass so don't know if these regs are still in place. Maryland DNR surveys have revealed good populations of bass in several year classes in the lower reaches.

Steve,

I made it over the Monacacy this evening at Rt 355 in Fredneck and it was low and appeared to have good visibility. I will be headed to the Mac tomorrow upstream of the mouth of Monocacy. I'll be able to get a better view and will let you know.

Great info, thanks guys.

Just saw this old thread and was just commenting to a frind that I've been fishing the Monoacy by now. I bet it isn't over 35 degrees yet. Will this winter never end? I like the section near Woodsboro and have done very well early spring. Use a heavey olive rabbit strip deep and slow. In the summer if bugs are out it can be good and at other times you would swear that the was not a bass in the river.

Back