Any Feedback on Richardson Fly Box Design?

Letort

In my never ending quest to haul the equivalent of a steamer trunk of stuff with me fly fishing, I am considering a Richardson fly box vest. I currently have a Simms guide vest, but fully loaded up, it weighs a ton.

I am thinking of the Joe Humphreys model with 3 trays (maybe 4), with a light and magnifier.

Anyone own or provide feedback. I will likely continue to wear a vest, but this is to get the fly box weight out of the vest.

I've owned the basic 4 tray box since 1973 and would be lost without it. So would my fishing buddies who refer to it as Jon's Fly Shop. It does carry an obscene about of flies, so I converted the bottom tray to hold a couple tippet spools, extra leaders, split shot, etc. so I could ditch the vest.

I found wearing the box with a vest can be problematic as they are both vying for the same real estate. Try the box on with your fishing vest before you buy as it may impact your decisions as to the number of trays and how you configure the trays. The shorty Filson strap vest is the only vest I felt comfortable wearing with the box, but once I modified the bottom tray, I found my vest was mostly empty and unnecessary unless I was carrying lunch, rain gear or my DLSR.

I highly recommend the optional leather harness. It was a game changer for me as it spreads the weight of the box across a wider surface area. I almost forget I'm wearing the box unlike the canvas OEM straps that tended to slide off one shoulder or the other.

In my never ending quest to haul the equivalent of a steamer trunk of stuff with me fly fishing, I am considering a Richardson fly box vest. I currently have a Simms guide vest, but fully loaded up, it weighs a ton.

I am thinking of the Joe Humphreys model with 3 trays (maybe 4), with a light and magnifier.

Anyone own or provide feedback. I will likely continue to wear a vest, but this is to get the fly box weight out of the vest.

Like Jon, I've been an advocate for decades when I gave up the vest in lieu of a Richardson Box, a fishing shirt for the simple stuff plus a belt with pouches around my waist.

At the same time, I emptied my vest and dumbed down and shrunk down a lot of stuff I carried to save space AND I stopped carrying "just in case" junk I never or hardly used and instead leave it in a gear bag back at the car.

I presently own two "Original Style" Richardson boxes in two different configurations because only THAT model will accept ALL of the options offered. I also modified both boxes so I can add or subtract trays as needed. Yea I know this trashes the warranty, but it was worth it to me to get what I want... 😉

Before pulling the trigger on your box, put a LOT (and I mean a lot) of thought into how you want to arrange things. The best time to figure this stuff out is when you are fishing with your current set-up while thinking, "Where will I store this if I lose my vest, etc."

Don't just buy a box and try to make it work for you afterwards because there MAY be an option that will make you happier if you think it through FIRST. After you think you have figured out what may work, come back to this thread with your ideas for more suggestions.

I'll add some stuff to consider:

I like compartments for dry fly storage because I find slotted foam too fussy. If you are the same way, resist the idea of getting foam on the lids of compartmentalized trays for extra storage of nymphs or wet flies. The flies in the compartments will hang up on the flies in the lid foam and will fly off when you lift the lid.​
If you go the compartmentalized route, have the dividers set up as removable. It will give you a lot of flexibility.​
If you are fan of slotted foam for dry storage consider the "Interchangeable Foam Insert System" with slotted foam that will work in any tray depth.​
The "3 Felt Nymph Pads" for layering your wet flies or nymphs is a great idea and what I use in my deep undivided wet fly/streamer trays. However the felt pads suck so I made my own version out of flat craft foam.​
Because I exclusively use 3/4" compartmentalized deep trays for dry flies, I also have a single 1-1/4"deep tray set up as a dry fly tray for big flies that I only carry in season. If you carry big bushy flies, make sure they will fit in whatever set-up you choose.​
While there are advocates, I am NOT a fan of the flashlight & floatant holders or tippet dispensers because sure as $#!+ the flashlight or floatant I like today will be discontinued tomorrow or I'll find something I like better that doesn't fit in the holder.​
It is also something else to get in the way...​
I'm also not keen on the magnifier which may help for choosing flies but is in an awkward place if you need magnification for anything else.​
If you are in the habit of putting flies on a patch to dry out, consider doing what I did and mount a piece of ripple foam or if you prefer, a magnet to the front of your Richardson Box.​
I ordered my boxes with regular straps but made my own version of the Richardson Harness and Pouch System out of black webbing with plastic hardware because I found the original metal snap hooks too noisy.​
I added two small pouches to my homemade harness to carry stuff and I just slide it out the way like can be done with the Richardson version which I could have bought, but I like my harness & pouches better.​
IF you consider the regular straps, buy one of these or this. Both will help to keep the original crossed straps from sliding off of your shoulders.​

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions!!

I have several and love them all, you can’t go wrong with a Richardson.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 5
Back