any bamboo guys here?

Kyle

Kyle

i bought this bamboo fly rod from a co worker, his father passed away. the son didnt have any intertest. but i sure did. i think i paid $600 for it about 5 years ago. i contacted orvis and sent them the info on the rod along with photos. they got back to me very fast with info on the rod, and a list of people who would buy it from me. i never responded after that because i have no interest in selling it. the rod itself feels great. its just another rod to add to my collection of fly rods. which as of now is the double digits.

this rod was built when Howard Steer ran the rod shop at orvis in 1973. im glad its at its final home. fingers are crossed to pass it down to my son. but kyle jr. is only 4 months old!

here are a few photos of it,
KIMG1009

KIMG1010

KIMG1011

KIMG1012

Beautiful rod. It deserves to be fished.

Glad to hear it.

I have several bamboos, but I'm not a real bamboo guy. I did run into a bamboo enthusiast a week ago. He runs a repair, restoration business -- gave me a card. In conversation, he mentioned fishing bamboos that are 100 years old. I'd be paranoid about breaking one.

Your rod looks really nice. I hope you enjoy it.

I have several bamboos, but I'm not a real bamboo guy. I did run into a bamboo enthusiast a week ago. He runs a repair, restoration business -- gave me a card. In conversation, he mentioned fishing bamboos that are 100 years old. I'd be paranoid about breaking one.

Your rod looks really nice. I hope you enjoy it.
thank you. i do enjoy it. tight lines.

The 1960 & 1970's was the era when Orvis had named specialty bamboo rods like the Mitey Mite, Pace Changer, Midge, Midge/Nymph, Nymph, SSS, 7/3, 7/4 and the Limestone Special to name a few.

I have a bunch of Orvis bamboo and two were built in 1973 like your Nymph. My 1973 Orvis bamboo rods are a Limestone Special (8'6" 2pc 6wt) and a Superlight spinning rod (5'9") with a staggered ferrule).

Just curious as the Nymph is a pretty slow rod, what line, line weight & reel are you using?

The 1960 & 1970's was the era when Orvis had named specialty bamboo rods like the Mitey Mite, Pace Changer, Midge, Midge/Nymph, Nymph, SSS, 7/3, 7/4 and the Limestone Special to name a few.

I have a bunch of Orvis bamboo and two were built in 1973 like your Nymph. My 1973 Orvis bamboo rods are a Limestone Special (8'6" 2pc 6wt) and a Superlight spinning rod (5'9") with a staggered ferrule).

Just curious as the Nymph is a pretty slow rod, what line, line weight & reel are you using?
i just put my battenkill on. 5/6 reel. 5WF line.

Mine was born 2/28/20. Brown trout caught yesterday on a non bamboo rod since its a fly fishing forum

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221028-180222_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221028-180222_Gallery.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20221028-180142_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221028-180142_Gallery.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20221028-180113_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221028-180113_Gallery.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 11
yes, this topic got a bit side tracked. but it was in good fun. back to topic.

A copy & paste from my notes on the Orvis "Nymph"
"The 8-foot, 3 3/4-oz, 11/64-ferrule taper has a delicate slow-action with the Orvis-recommended WF4 line.

It was intended for use in the summertime with tiny flies with sufficient length to allow line-mending in difficult currents. It’s not a rod for long casts or fishing in high wind.

The rod was introduced in the 1969 catalog and made through 1975. It was only available as a high-grade rod (equivalent to the “Battenkill”) with one or two tips."

Scans from the 1973 catalog:

A photo of Howard Steere from the 1972 catalog:
https://i.postimg.cc/9XJ19SZ8/Employee-Bob-Jordan-Morris-Pennock-Howard-Steere-****-Davis-1972-Catalog.jpg

It's a fairly scarce model.

A copy & paste from my notes on the Orvis "Nymph"
"The 8-foot, 3 3/4-oz, 11/64-ferrule taper has a delicate slow-action with the Orvis-recommended WF4 line.

It was intended for use in the summertime with tiny flies with sufficient length to allow line-mending in difficult currents. It’s not a rod for long casts or fishing in high wind.

The rod was introduced in the 1969 catalog and made through 1975. It was only available as a high-grade rod (equivalent to the “Battenkill”) with one or two tips."

Scans from the 1973 catalog:

A photo of Howard Steere from the 1972 catalog:
https://i.postimg.cc/9XJ19SZ8/Employee-Bob-Jordan-Morris-Pennock-Howard-Steere-****-Davis-1972-Catalog.jpg

It's a fairly scarce model.
thanks fellow member. that post was great. good info on my rod.

Piling on with Brit pics. Lost the old fella in the beginning of August. To stay on topic, F bamboo 😁🤣

OI0000404
OI000002
OI000012

OI000037 exported 4237

my other "orvis
KIMG1015
KIMG1015
bamboo". this one has red wrappings. same looking rod tube, different color sock. although this one is broken on the second part. this rod was given to me with the purchase of the previous rod in this post. but this rod has no writings on it anywhere. but looks very similiar to my first rod minus the red wrapping
KIMG1014

Back