anti felt sole wader movement

I just don't want to fall. Fished on my a....s for 2 years due to back problems. Now that I'm on my feet again after surgery I don't want to fall plain and simple. I'm pretty much so cautious that I'd give anything a good shake. Too afraid to fall and too afraid not to find something that won't make me fall.

Simms studded aquastealth or likes there of

i agree always wading i love felt soles i have not had a problem with them i was in trough creek the other day and my two friends had rubber soles they both kept slipping and all and i had no problem but i was unaware that felt soles were causing a problem with streams so i might switch to the studs here next year

Chetty............whats wrong with trough creek?

He didn't say anything was wrong with it. He said its tough to wade without felt. Sounds like something is right with it.

I wonder if this is just a marketing ploy to get everyone with felt to buy new shoes.

Removing felt soles may help the situation, but I wonder how much? After all, the non-felt shoes still have laces and other places that such critters can survive. Hmmmmm???

I am constantly amazed at the skepticism on this board. Nothing that helps a problem is acceptable. It must solve the problem, end it...or its just a conspiracy. Cracks me the hell up...

Tom,

I hear what you’re saying. I think the anti-felt sole position (in addition to the traction debate) is that not wearing felt is like trying to stop a flood with one bag of sand so why bother.

From my perspective, my felt soled boots aren’t the only thing carrying these hitchhikers but it certainly is the longest lasting spot on my gear. All my equipment dries overnight. My felt soles are still damp after a week or more of sitting in my garage. So, I’ll be trying rubber soles this year to see how they perform. Does this prevent me from being a carrier? No, it just makes me a smaller contributor and maybe that will help slow the progression of these species through our waterways.

It’s like saying that if you stop smoking you’ll be less likely to contract lung cancer. There are many other contributors and you may ultimately contract lung cancer but that doesn’t negate the fact that non-smokers are much less likely to get the disease.

Nothing is wrong with trough creek its just i think felt waders are the best thing out there but i have not tried the studded ones yet so i cant say they are the best but i am a little partial to them

gzakkey..............rubber soles?..........i can recomend a good orthopedic surgeon.

aquastealth carbide studded rubber bottom..........enough said

osprey wrote:
Being 53 years old and having lost my left leg in a steel mill accident i can't believe there is a movement afoot to abolish felt soled waders. I had fly fished my whole life starting at 4 or five years old with my dad and grandfather. Lost my left leg at 47 after working in a steel mill for 32 years, there was a dark time when i thought i'd never be able to fish again but guess what, i can and i do and i wade but without felt soled waders i just don't know. Seems to me the only "DANGEROUS" invasive species on the water are the idiots.

Dear osprey,

I'm sorry for your accident and I'm even sadder to say that you are 100 percent correct with your assessment.

Neoprene booties on waders, thick padded tongues on wading boots, and the thick laces on wading shoes all carry those invasive species.

But the people trying to ram rubber soled boots down your throat don't want to hear that or don't listen.

Welcome to the new world order,
Tim Murphy :)

I use a pair of studded L.L. Bean Aquastealth and they work great. I converted when I needed a new pair of boots anyway.

I haven't fallen yet (of course know I will) due to slippage - I tripped over a rock and took a swim though.

One other big advantage of the rubber soles is winter fishing - no ice buildup like with felt sole boots - if you do any winter fishing with snow on the ground you know how it can build up on the felts when you're walking. This didn't happen with the rubber soles.

And if they help with the invasive species issue then so much the better.

Here are three reviews of the new rubber soles.

The first one does a same day comparison of the felt vs the simms vibram.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Vibram.soled.wading.boots.gear.review.asp

These two reviews are for Simms Vibram rubber boots and Patagonia Riverwalker "Sticky Rubber" boots.

http://troutunderground.com/2009/03/24/gear-review-are-patagonias-riverwalker-sticky-rubber-wading-boots-grippy-or-gimpy/

http://troutunderground.com/2009/04/07/fly-fishing-the-rogue-river-when-fly-fishing-may-not-be-the-point/

Back