another flouro vs. mono debate

If you love seaguar for saltwater (as I do) then you may want to try the freshwater fluorocarbon "seaguar fx". It is very supple - I like it better than fluoroflex. It is very expensive compared to other brands and especially compared to mono.

gutcutter wrote:
If you love seaguar for saltwater (as I do) then you may want to try the freshwater fluorocarbon "seaguar fx". It is very supple - I like it better than fluoroflex. It is very expensive compared to other brands and especially compared to mono.

I used Seaguar Grand Max Fluro on the Salmon River this Winter and fell in love with it. I definitely want to give the FX a shot if it is more supple.

lol some good posts here...

"Trout can see both."- classic

I only use flouro for chrome... I don't care what you all say, it has been a defining factor in hooking up for pseudo steel; hook-up immediately after changing tippet from mono to flouro... too many times to be by chance.

rio powerflex to the bank for all general trout applications... def. not a need for flourocarbon, however, as others have said, it's easier to tie with, gives me a mindset which elicits confidence, and is not shredded as fast by rocks, etc. compared to mono.

with that said, I carry 3 and 4x in flouro and 0, 5, 6x in mono. Was never one for the maxima in leader building, but instead, collect my friends tapered leaders when it gets down to the point they are going to scrap it. I build off of this with the 0x in mono and taper down.

I started using Maxima ultragreen and chameleon mono leader for my tippets. I like that it is stiffer and seems to have less memory than most mono. The stuff doesn't coil, it comes right off the spool straight. Good for casting. After many trees snagged I've found the 3 and 4 lb. leader to be hard to break easily. I am an expert at snagging branches along the bank so I know how good the stuff is.

I tried fouro for a while but just didn't like how easily it snapped, and I have about 4 spools of it I don't use.

I just might give the Maxima flouro a chance though, only because I like their mono so much. I have heard their flouro is pretty good compared to some others.

Has anyone ever tried Stroft or the newer Trout Hunter fluoro tippets? Stroft is a German company, IIRC, and Trout Hunter has something to do with Harrop's shop. Any info would be great.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I tried fouro for a while but just didn't like how easily it snapped, and I have about 4 spools of it I don't use.

At the knot? You must lubricate liberally, and pull both the main line and the tag end to tighten it up.

I don't bother with fancy knots, just the cinch knot, about 6 or 7ish turns, but once make yourself really get the knots wet before you slide 'em home, you'll have much less problems.

Or, well, I did. YMMV.

TUNA wrote:
Has anyone ever tried Stroft or the newer Trout Hunter fluoro tippets? Stroft is a German company, IIRC, and Trout Hunter has something to do with Harrop's shop. Any info would be great.

Ya, Stroft is pretty awesome. It is crazy incredibly limp yet very strong for the diameter. I have not used the Stroft ABR, only the Stroft GMT. In the 100m and 200m spools it's actually a really good value IF you can find it. The person selling Stroft on ebay (was located in NY) hasn't posted any in a quite some time.

Tuna ,
I have heard of Stroft its pretty big in Europe for french,polish,and czech nymphing or as its called Euronymphing.I also remember Drennan being another super mono that is big over there that was big about 6-7 years ago up on the Salmon river too.I have never tried either.
Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines
Rick Wallace

Thanks Guys, I may have to order a spool to try it out.

Back