An early start for ticks.

H2O, unless you or the thing "drown."

[color=FF0000]
Tractor supply has concentrated versions that can be diluted for use and is much cheaper than Sawyer. You can find it in the area where they have fly treatments for horses.

I started treating my outdoor cloths two years ago and have zero tick bites and very few mosquito bites. None through my clothing.
[/color]

Are you treating with the tractor supply concentrate? If so are you diluting it to their specs then spraying on your clothing like you would the sawyers spray?

I see the concentrate can be sprayed "around" the house and on livestock to keep many insects at bay.
I would think that used properly this treatment applied to clothing and dried before use would be as safe as any other insect repellent on the market and I wouldn't hesitate to dip a sleeve in the water while fishing. I don't think I would apply in the parking lot of a fishery as it wouldn't dry quick enough and may remain on your hands. Plan ahead and treat your gear and you're good to go.

slay12345 wrote:
[color=FF0000]
Tractor supply has concentrated versions that can be diluted for use and is much cheaper than Sawyer. You can find it in the area where they have fly treatments for horses.

I started treating my outdoor cloths two years ago and have zero tick bites and very few mosquito bites. None through my clothing.
[/color]

Are you treating with the tractor supply concentrate? If so are you diluting it to their specs then spraying on your clothing like you would the sawyers spray?

I see the concentrate can be sprayed "around" the house and on livestock to keep many insects at bay.
I would think that used properly this treatment applied to clothing and dried before use would be as safe as any other insect repellent on the market and I wouldn't hesitate to dip a sleeve in the water while fishing. I don't think I would apply in the parking lot of a fishery as it wouldn't dry quick enough and may remain on your hands. Plan ahead and treat your gear and you're good to go.

I dilute to the same concentration as Sawyers. There is additional information on the WEB as to concentrations for use on clothing and also for use in treating lice on humans. So Sawyers is not the only data point which indicates safe levels.

salmonoid wrote:
jifigz wrote:
salmonoid wrote:
Permethrin is a great tick repellent. It comes with the price that it is also highly toxic to fish. Pick your poisons carefully..

Permethrin is also highly toxic to cats. However, once dried on your clothing it poses virtually zero risk to fish or cats. It is a miracle, I've been using it for years, and I will not stop unless they outlaw it.

I'm not suggesting to not use it. But everyone should be aware they are using a chemical that is toxic to the species they so much claim they want to conserve. A little overspray in the parking lot might just wash into the stream during a rain shower (or consider the little bit that might end up on your fingers while applying, which then is absorbed by the fly you tie on). And it is effective for up to six weeks or six washings - something happens to the chemical in that time, in that it either was chemically broken down to something else, or the molecules are physically removed from the clothing they are applied to. If they are physically removed, the same thing can happen to your clothing while fishing in the rain or when you dip your sleeve in the water.

Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (another miracle chemical) was a great insecticide too..

The solution needs to dry thoroughly before being effective. It should be sprayed on clothing and dried well before use. Permethrin spray can be impacting to pets so always spray in a safe area. I use my back yard where no pets access.

My daughter can spend 3 minutes crossing a field and several hitch a ride. Me on the other hand, can usually spend all day and not be bothered. go figure!

SteveG wrote:
Is it still active after washing? I've never heard of it.

Yeah it lasts several washings. I still treat my pants often though, regardless. Nice thing is it dries scent free. It's not for putting directly on your skin though.

My recommendation is to go to your nearest Tractor Supply or Agway-type feed store and get a product called Permethrin 10 (in the horse and livestock pest control aisle.) A small bottle goes a looooong way. Get a gallon jug and according to the directions on the label mix together several ounces of the Permethrin with a gallon of water. Then use that to fill up a spray bottle. It's the best and cheapest way to have plenty of it on hand. Much cheaper than having to buy several bottles of Sawyers each year.

I'm in the woods and fields every weekend and numerous weekdays practically year round training or hunting dogs and I keep that spray bottle in my vehicle with other essential gear at all times. Spray my boots and pants down a few times a week.

Both the Sawyer and Repel products work great - I've used both professionally for the past 15 years (I've worked as a geologist with many drillers and surveyors in both PA & NJ).
Both are toxic when sprayed, but you should not be spraying it anywhere near a stream. Spray at home & let it dry 2 hours minimum prior to wearing the clothing. 15 years, and no ticks, chiggers, or skeeters.
I have used the Tractor Supply permithrin and mixed my own - it worked, but, the smell took a while to dissipate.

I use the bottle I get at Tractor Supply to mix my own supply, and once it's dry there's no scent. I don't think it's ever taken 2hrs for it to dry. Usually about 15-20 minutes. Training hunting dogs is practically like a vocation for me anymore, I put in lots and lost of time per week in the woods and fields and obviously you do as well for your profession so I'm curious, do you basically soak your clothing in it well ahead of time?

Had a female nymphal deer tick crawling on my waders after helping stock earlier this week...in Potter County...safe to say they're at least somewhat active everywhere in the state at this point.

Jack - I think they will attach quicker than that. A few Summers ago I was wet wading in swim shorts on a WW creek that made a horseshoe bend across a field of thigh high grass. The fishing was good and I let impending darkness and a Tstorm approach too closely. My original plan was to walk the longer creek bank route around the horseshoe back to my vehicle specifically to avoid potential tick exposure, but given the darkness and storm I opted to cut across the field instead. Sure enough I found a dog tick beginning to attach on my upper thigh when I got home. He wasn't imbedded or anything yet, but I couldn't just flick him off either...had to give a light tug. Couldn't have been on me for more than half an hour.

Generally I think a good hot shower after fishing will ID most ticks...you feel em' more so than see em' usually. I usually shower first thing after getting back from fishing. And yes, if I feel something somewhere I can't see, I ask someone else to look for me. Usually just a zit or some other minor skin abnormality, not worth the risk though. My Lyme encounter last year was on a 3 day backpacking trip without the chance for a shower til I got home. I was not using Permethrin. I will be this year.

people seem to be worrying about the tick attaching.

please be forewarned: the same tick that carries lyme,also carries babesiosis.

if it bites and hangs on ,you can get lyme

if it bites and lets go,you can get babesiosis. babesiosis is more likely if you don't have a spleen,or your immunity is compromised in some other way.

trust me,you would rather have lyme than babesiosis .

babesiosis is a north american form of malaria,wherein your organs start to shut down due to the parasites in your blood.

be safe out there!

Back