Airline/Baggage Question

No matter which carrier you decide on for shipping, be sure to insure for the value of your gear. Most carriers limit their liability to $100 unless you pony up for additional coverage.
The Post Office is pretty darn good, but if you go parcel shipper, I recommend FedEx over UPS for better handling. (Although they all toss the packages pretty hard. Be sure to pad your gear well.) Put the rod in a cardboard tube inside the carton.

And yes, I do work in warehousing, shipping and receiving.

I have checked a High Sierra rolling duffle for three years with no problem. It is 36" x 14" x 14. I have no trouble packing for ten days and come in well under the 50# limit. That includes three 4 pc rods, a big collapsible cooler, 24" Brodin net, waders, wading shoes, and plenty of clothes.

I put four reels, four fly boxes, shaving kit, chest pack, and vest in my carry-on. I leave a pontoon boat and rain gear in Montana all year so I don't have to ship that out. Even if my duffle got misdirected I could borrow a pair of wading shoes and a rod from the outfitter and still be able to fish.

Since my vest weighs over 25 lbs, I just wear it on the flight. If it gets cumbersome, I take it off and stick it under the seat.

tl
les

I have been challenged on fly reels with line on them. Something about being worried I might strangle someone or tie them up.

Never had a problem packing anything in my checked luggage. I often times ship back my waders and/or boots because I like to try to get that last bit of fishing before going to the airport. They are still a bit wet and heavy.

Boss

Usually they are more concerned about weight. any bag over 50 lbs is gonna cost ya. I just carried on my 4pc (attached to my DSLR case's tripod strap) Packed a reel. extra spool and fanny pack with the basics in the single checked bag we took. In addition we each were able to stow a carry on in over head. Most of our clothes (didn;t need many in Puerto Rico) were in the carry-ons. That's all I got.

When we visited Idaho 3 years ago we shipped a big box to my dad's house with everything from hiking boots to waders to rods to sunscreen and shampoo bottles. Was there a 2 days ahead of us and after we left he shipped it back. I remember it costing WAY less than a single bag fee!

being in the military i ALWAYS travel with duffle bags and ive never had them measure mine, and ive been through the airlines with all my gear within the last month. they will however nail you on the weight so be careful, its not hard to pack a duffle over 80lbs

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll be in Colorado at the end of the month and it will be my first time flying with fishing gear. Unfortunately my only 4piece rod is a 6 weight, which would be heavy for some of the streams I'll be fishing, so I'll also be bringing a smaller rod(w/ case) which is only a 2 piece, so it won't be able to fit in the suicase like the 4 piece rod will. So has anyone had any problems with bringing 2 piece rods as checked baggage? It's within the limits for checked baggage, but not carry on.

streamerguy wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but I'll be in Colorado at the end of the month and it will be my first time flying with fishing gear. Unfortunately my only 4piece rod is a 6 weight, which would be heavy for some of the streams I'll be fishing, so I'll also be bringing a smaller rod(w/ case) which is only a 2 piece, so it won't be able to fit in the suicase like the 4 piece rod will. So has anyone had any problems with bringing 2 piece rods as checked baggage? It's within the limits for checked baggage, but not carry on.

Delta called up TSA and was told my rod case could be up to 42 inches. And that 6wt just might be what you need. Not sure where you are going but if its your first time you could be tossing that 6wt more than you expect.

I looked on the United and Delta airlines(not sure which I'll be taking, but one of them) websites and it said it could be a max of like 115in or something, and if it was over like 80 then you'd have to pay a fee. I measured my one case and it was 52in, but since you're saying 42 then I'll have to look it up again.

Yeah I'm definitely bringing the 6 no matter what. Wouldn't mind tossing some streamers on the bigger creeks. I still need a small stream rod though(which is the 2 piece).

You can carry it on according to TSA if its a typical fly rod case less than 42. You can check a full size rod case with however many rods it holds up to 115 inches. So carry on the rod case and pack the reels and such and go!

the first time i ever flew with my 2 piece 6wt was to jamacia, and i checked it. ironically it was the first time the airline ever lost one of my belongings. not to say their gonna loose yer rod, but the happening ruined me for life. ill only take my 4 piece from now on

an overhead bag bin on a full size aircraft is about 52-54 inches long

jrcll wrote:

...coming from an airplane mechanic.

Hope all is well Jim!

So I would be able to have my 52in 2pc rod case as a carry on then? It is over the carry on limit though. The only thing I'm worried about is having that as checked baggage then arriving in Denver and the rod is broken or lost.

My 4piece rod, which breaks down to like 27in barely fits in the suicase, but it's case is 30in and it barely doesn't fit in the suitcase, so I am a little worried about putting that rod in the suitcase w/o the rod tube/case. So I'm thinking of having that rod as a carry on.

I'm probably better off just buying a rod there lol.

ryguyfi wrote:
jrcll wrote:

...coming from an airplane mechanic.

Hope all is well Jim!

this is a useless fact. If they allow only up to 42 inches as a carry on, he bin could be 200 inches and you still couldn't do it. I saw two people asked to check their bags during boarding because they didn't fit. Three seats share one bin.

i`m sure its useleess to you tom, but it all depeds on the mood of the gate agent i`ve seen guys carry on their rod tubes that where over 42 " and some the gate agent said " no way "

Back