Adams Dry Fly

JerryCoviello

JerryCoviello

The Adams Dry Fly
In 1922, Leonard Halladay, a Michigan fly tyer conceived the Adams as a general mayfly imitation. It was first fished by an Ohio attorney and friend of Halladay, Charles F. Adams on the Boardman River near Traverse City, Michigan. Charles Adams reported his success with the fly to Halladay who decided to name the fly after his friend
Still to this day one of the most popular dry flies fished and tied.
Materials
Hook: Dry Fly
Thread: Black or Grey 6/0 or 8/0
Tail: Grizzly and Brown Ewing Feather Rooster Hackle Fibers Mixed
Hackle: Grizzly and Brown Ewing Feather Rooster Hackle
Body: Muskrat Underfur or Grey Dubbing
Wing: Grizzly Hen Ewing Feather Hackle tips

Attachments

• Adams Signature resized.jpg
    Adams Signature resized.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 13
Beautiful fly Jerry! One of my favorites. However, yours look better than mine! Mine still catch trout though!

Nice.
I was just listening to an audio book the other day, "the Fishing Life" by Paul Schullery, and it mentioned in there that the original Adams was tied with golden pheasant fibers for the tail, but didn't stay that way too long, probably because the hackles fibers help it to float better. Fun little fact I just thought I'd share.

That's a damn fine Adams!

Kevin82 I did know that. Great fly tied Catskill or Parachute

Kevin82 wrote:
Nice.
I was just listening to an audio book the other day, "the Fishing Life" by Paul Schullery, and it mentioned in there that the original Adams was tied with golden pheasant fibers for the tail, but didn't stay that way too long, probably because the hackles fibers help it to float better. Fun little fact I just thought I'd share.

I prefer to tie 'em parachute. I seem to have a tough time tying on little hackle wings.

Back