Access to Mud Run's Mouth

Yep. Sandy Run is dead. Fishing on west side of the river below confluence for about 1/4 mile is difficult at best.

2006 survey of Lehigh west side tribs,Sandy Run was in this survey.
Yeah, I read an angler statement somewhere about wild browns in it, but I cannot remember where. Not sure if AMD remediation has taken place since 2006 on that stream. What I read was recent, within the past two years. I do recall that the upper part of the stream had AMD issues, and the mention I read spoke of the lower water where Pond Creek runs into the Sandy. It is that lower section that might hold the trout.

It might take an adventuresome angler to give us an update. Know anybody like that?

Thx Oregon_OwlII. I might know a guy. That will definitely be a warmer month excursion. I usually try to fish a couple of different sections of Mud Run each year. I'm sure I'll work this in and report back when I do.

I was in that general area in the Spring of 2019, to fish a different west side trib, and rode my bike over Sandy. It had that artificial aqua blue/green look to the water that is common on AMD treated streams. My guess is it’s being treated somewhere. Didn’t fish it, as I had assumed it was dead from the research I had done. But the water did look “treated” to me, so maybe it warrants a look see.

Also, if fish are repopulating it from the mouth up, I’d expect to see Brookies as a bellwether of improving water quality before Browns. Brookies are more acid tolerant than Browns and typically are the first species (of any fish, not just Trout) to repopulate AMD streams. FWIW. Brookies aren’t common in the Lehigh itself, but they can certainly access it, and they’re common in many of the nearby tribs that aren’t AMD affected.

Last edited:
I fished Pond Cr this past sunday.There is a very short section that isn't posted from the mouth at Sandy,a 1/4 mile or so.I stopped on my way home from another stream in the area.There are brookies,mostly small under 6".Sandy still looks dead to me,Buck Mtn Run just over the hill has the same blue/green coloration and is dead,no life at all.I think the color may be aluminum oxide.I won't swear to that,maybe someone here knows.First 2 pics are Sandy others are Pond.

Attachments

• 100_1785.JPG
    100_1785.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_1786.JPG
    100_1786.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_1783.JPG
    100_1783.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_1778.JPG
    100_1778.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1777.JPG
    100_1777.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 36
I fished Pond Cr this past sunday.There is a very short section that isn't posted from the mouth at Sandy,a 1/4 mile or so.I stopped on my way home from another stream in the area.There are brookies,mostly small under 6".Sandy still looks dead to me,Buck Mtn Run just over the hill has the same blue/green coloration and is dead,no life at all.I think the color may be aluminum oxide.I won't swear to that,maybe someone here knows.First 2 pics are Sandy others are Pond.
Is a shame looks like some nice sections there.

Back