Abel Reels

Wmass wrote:
I just got a catalogue in the mail and it looks like some of these reels go for about 600-800 bucks, are they really worth the money? I love the look of them and the custom paint, but thats alot of cash.

Mr. Hertzer,

I have no doubt of this fact, but sometimes ugliness does not transcend, and form takes precedence over function. I won't own a Glock for sheer ugliness, nor will I take a Lamson.

Scratches from use are badges of honour, street hockey falls outside the bounds of standard use.

I shall continue to abscond the Lamson reels, although if someone gives me an LP series, I'll fish it.

Sincerely,
gfen.

Gfen now you're cuttin on glocks??

So the vanquish might be a bit over the top but if I had use, and the money I'd own one.

I understand to a point form over function, in some cases, but lets be honest here.... you drive a Honda Element... :lol:

StudentofTheStream wrote:
Gfen now you're cuttin on glocks??

Y'know the M1911 is 100 years and two days old? Go shoot one into the air to celebrate. Then pick up your combat Tupperware and tell me its not the suck.

Although, I did buy a plastic pistol, a Spring XD9 5". Its got all the benefits of the plastic and the striker, but with a proper thumb safety and a grip safety just like the JMB classic. Also, a real grip angle.

So yes, yes I am cutting on Glocks. They're but one step higher than the Hi-Point on the list of ugly.

And the Single Action Army is king of the world.

So the vanquish might be a bit over the top but if I had use, and the money I'd own one.

Same for an Abel, but it doesn't mean the Lamson ain't pig ugly.

I understand to a point form over function, in some cases, but lets be honest here.... you drive a Honda Element... :lol:

Right, you'd think I can go beyond looks to utility, but sometimes, you just can't past the looks.

OMG, you drive a Element? Ugly freaking car bud.

It comes with a special box to keep your dignity in!

I would not buy an Abel reel as the company is owned by a Madoff, as per the infamous Bernie Madoff. And this fact is reflected in their prices, and nefarious service.

AGREED !!!

gfen wrote:
Assuming it hasn't rusted to anything, it might be worth its weight in gold.. SOme lucky panner is gonna find a Hardy multiplier in his wash one day and payout his stake.

got 2 of the cortland ones Identical to them except for badges..never had a problem with them. even used one last year on steel head.

I see this as a 4 page attempt at getting me to lower my price on the super sweet Abel Super 8 I have posted in the swap. Honestly, I am selling it because I just don't need that kind of reel for PA bass and carp. If I still got to fish salt much, I would have it spooled up already.
I love how the Lamson Konic has everyone screaming bargain...but isn't a $130 trout reel also overkill here in PA?
I could get by with a used cavalier, a dollar store watch, wal mart shoes, etc...but I like the way quality stuff looks, feels, tastes.
Is an Abel reel worth $750++? Not to me, but definitely is to alot of people.
I do love my Element, though.

Uhmm this thread was started in March of 2011, I doubt it was any attempt to attack your sale.

You can attack his element though. Man those things should be banned not assault rifles.

It was also refreshed by someone who made his one and only post so far.

Sweet looking reels, but expensive and not for everyone. And a good drag is a good drag, doesn't matter what the rest of the reel looks like. Looks are for the ladies, performance is for those with coconuts.

Buy them used. Able reels are still expensive used but much more reasonable. Especially since they don't seem to get as much use as the original owner expected to give them.

They last forever and seem to out live their owners ability or desire to fish. My only complaint is they are a bit heavy and are overkill for most applications but they work.

Bump:I just came across this thread.

Back