Abel Reels

Montcopo wrote:
An Abel is expensive. But consider what a decent saltwater trip costs ($500/day for a guide) and factor in what the price of a fish of a lifetime costs when your reel blows up on the first scorching run.

-shrug-

Its a hell of a story, innit?

Oh.
Hey.

What did all those guys do to catch all of those fish before Abel et al hit the scene? Y'know, when high end was an adjustable clicker that favoured in OR out, versus one tension, both directions? Or, maybe that fantastic upgrade, the drum brake drag ala the Medalist?

I guess you're right, ain't no fish caught back then.

I have witnessed this and it is not a pretty sight. Imagine a grown man crying over buying a piece of cut rate crap because some inexperienced fly shop clerk told him it was all you need. There are alternatives to Abel, but they are very near the same price point (Tibor, Nautalis, Fin Nor, etc.) Do your homework!!!

Oh, I have.

You don't ever need anything better. But don't take it to Alaska or float trips in Montana. You will kick yourselves in the ***.

Because that's how stories are made.

I had a Fin Nor in Montana-silliest thing I ever bought,bar none.
Too heavy and just plain boring-well okay,i was too dull to appreciate it.

but we all get tempted to buy something that sets us apart from the next guy who is us.{thanks Pogo.}

gfen wrote:

In regards to the Winston, I find it interesting to compare reel weights to the ever decreasing weight of rods. I don't own any of the modern ultra light weight rods, nor do I own any modern ultra light reels, but I'm wondering what happens as we continually move towards larger and larger arbour reels with big drags versus lighter and lighter rods...I guess a balance is struck for now as rods are going longer, too.

Obviously lighter and lighter reels. That's where the Lamson Hard Alox Litespeed comes in. I assume they will continue to get lighter and lighter as well.

It seems to go the other way too. I see all these guys putting ultra light reels on 10' rods and they are completely unbalanced thus making high sticking tiresome. But that's just my opinion.

jdaddy wrote:
I see all these guys putting ultra light reels on 10' rods and they are completely unbalanced thus making high sticking tiresome. But that's just my opinion.

That was the only part of that experience I got right.

Definitely not worth the money, take a few hundred and buy a top of the line rod, take the few bucks left over and buy a decent reel.. You don't need a reel like that to fish rivers for trout in Pennsylvania.

I would have to agree with many that you don't need much of a reel when fishing many streams in PA, especially ones containing stocked fish. I tend to buy nicer reels based on the amount of days I spend on the water and the amount of abuse my gear tends to take. I also believe it's imperative to have a good disc drag reel when using light tippet. When fishing streams such as the Gunpowder, 7x is often necessary when fishing dries. A smooth drag helps greatly to protect such light tippet, as even the smaller wild fish of this stream can give a really nice fight.

Patrick is on the money. I'd buy a reel based on how much I'll be fishing and how long I'd expect the reel to last.

As for Montcopo, are you serious? Really, are you? Based on what you're saying, 97% of us are fishing with inferior reels. I just hope the guts of my reel don't explode next time I'm ripped into the backing by a 10" stockie. Whew! I almost caught a fish last week but when my ball bearing, anti-reverse, one way koyo clutch failed to engage, the burly 9" wild brown snapped me off like it was nothing.

I guess that if I were looking at a Galvan Torque, Ross Evolution, Lamson Litespeed or other fine reel, it's just throwing money away since it's not an Abel. Interesting. How has Hardy existed for so long making their click paw reels? Do they have any world records caught on them? I also believe that this is a PA Fly Fishing site. Shouldn't the stories of fishing the FL Keys would go on the FL Fly Fishing site?

I don't even use my drag...at all.

I just strip line in and pinch it in place with my index finger.

I would never spend more than $150 on a reel.
Beside, you can often get expensive reels on sale for under $150.

Oh and I've caught many species on my $70 ECHO reel; from pike to panfish.

Heck I used to fish steelies with a 6wt and a $100 Corland reel. Never had trouble horsing them in.

Rod_Hertzer wrote:
How has Hardy existed for so long making their click paw reels? Do they have any world records caught on them?

Dentists buy them to display next to their Leica M series bodies. No one actually USES them!

Also, all prior records were SMASHED by disc drag reels, which are so powerful they almost reel themselves! Arguments ensued to create an entirely new classification within the confines of the IGFA, "click/pawl class." They were going to drop the tippet restrictions, and just assumed everyone used 40# to make up for inefficent reels.

Lefty Kreh, a man we can presume might know a thing or two about fly fishing for serious fishes says you apply drag pressure about to what it takes to pull off the spool with your lips clamped over your line.

While I'm sure he uses things like hyper expensive reels, I would think you might find he's more of the belief that a drag that won't lock up as it creates massive heat is preferable to one that allows you to clamp down. Oddly enough, I'd say the most unlikely to seize from heat is...the click-pawl.

If you need more, use your fingers. Mkern does. Hell, he's so hardcore he uses a single finger! Take that, you silly palmers!

Hardy[SA] all I ever used except for one Fin Nor which was overgunning for anything less than humpbacks..
Got to admit the Hardy multiplier was a bad buy-froze up on what looked to be a six pd brown so I polluted the Yellowstone with the reel.

Assuming it hasn't rusted to anything, it might be worth its weight in gold.. SOme lucky panner is gonna find a Hardy multiplier in his wash one day and payout his stake.

It a trout, steelies, or pike pulls harder than my finger can hold I give them line.
Once they are done running, and pull them back in.

gfen,
I bet your a fisherman who like to play the fish, because it's sporty. You just like the feel of a fish on then end of your glass rod. You like it so much you keep them on to near-death exhaustion. Then, you just wind them in.

MKern wrote:
I bet your a fisherman who like to play the fish, because it's sporty. You just like the feel of a fish on then end of your glass rod. You like it so much you keep them on to near-death exhaustion. Then, you just wind them in.

You are correct, I shall play them until they finally come to my feet, belly up, showing me they are the loser to my ultimate manhood. I then proudly grasp them by the gills, hoist them to the sky and shout CROM! like I'm Conan the [d]Barbarian[/d]Angler.

I will then remove the hook with my teeth and hurl them bodily back into the water... I try to torpedo them in so the water forces through their gills and gives them the kiss of life, but sometimes they belly flop.

On an actual serious note, I often wonder if I'm doing it wrong because I never seem to have much in the way of epic fighting fish with long plays, and I can't think I've ever had to revive one.

I'm gonna bet its the way I empower them with CROM! or its because I only catch dinks.

IMO: the reel market is glutted with anything your pocketbook can bear. If you have never seen a fish make a reel "smoke" it's a sight to behold. Those high class Tarpon guides spend the $ just to avoid reel failures. As far as the "old days" the Sea masters and Fin nor wedding cakes were the reels of choice.The old seamasters are about $3k. Reel choice for Pa.IMO. what your pocket can afford.

EDIT: Abels are designed from Seamaster.

Montcopo I'm not sure where you're coming from with the 'you can't fish this reel here or you'll end up crying like a wee babe.'

I have fished many of the locations you talk about and I've never done it with an Abel.

Guess what happened? I caught fish, and in many instances a ton of fish. Most of which took some serious line from the drag.

Guess what else happened? My reels never blew up.

I know Abel makes a nice reel but there are other less expensive; just as suitable reels to be had and used with less maintenance. Fact is if you have a cork drag, it requires maintenance.

You like Abel and that's cool with me but there are other alternatives.

And lastly, the big issue here Gfen...

You can't tell me this reel doesn't look freakin awesome???

Attachments

• vanquish.jpg
    vanquish.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 5
Guessing that you're not looking at their 'trout' reels?
When I was shopping for a new reel, the smallest Abel TR series was on my short list for a 2wt setup I was putting together...and I'm sure I was finding that reel for under $200, it was definitely cheaper than an English made Hardy Fly or Featherweight.

Abel makes a great reel. If your wallet can handle it, then get one and use it for the rest of your life. Their trout reels are not outrageously priced for a high quality, domestically made reel. I know they've been in the saltwater game for quite a while, and if I was looking at a lifetime purchase for a reel in the 8-10wt realm, I'd be looking at Abel, or a big old Hardy Perfect, would depend on the rod, fresh or salt....

Anyways, if you get it, and it's not what you're expecting, if you shop wisely initially, you shouldn't take too big a hit if you need to flip it on the Swap or auction it down the road.

StudentofTheStream wrote:

I can and I will. The finsih looks cheap, the metal looks like cast pot metal, they have weird arms all over the spools and the way in which they counter balance the handle looks awful.

I like high tech looking super large arbour reels, but not those.

I like the Sage Click reels for appearance. Spindly, little less spastic with the holes. Whereas the Sage 3200, the prior version of the Click, looks worse than the Lamsons.

gfen wrote:
StudentofTheStream wrote:

I can and I will. The finsih looks cheap, the metal looks like cast pot metal, they have weird arms all over the spools and the way in which they counter balance the handle looks awful.

I like high tech looking super large arbour reels, but not those.

I like the Sage Click reels for appearance. Spindly, little less spastic with the holes. Whereas the Sage 3200, the prior version of the Click, looks worse than the Lamsons.

Dear gfen,

I'll second that, the reel in the picture is ugly and looks like it was designed by Ari T. Hart? Hideous isn't even an accurate description for the looks of that reel. It may be the greatest reel on Earth but I simply can't get past the looks of it.

Abel makes a very nice reel and by and large they look like a fly reel is supposed to look to a mope like me. But I don't own any and likely never will because to me they are grossly unnecessary. I see them as the equivalent of driving a Gelandwagen to French Creek in Chester County.

Don't any let yourself be kidded by the fact that "guides" have them on their boats and use them. A lot of that has more to do with sponsorships and hefty guide discounts than it does with a profound love for the perfect piece of equipment.

There are guides that still fish their 20 year old SA System 2's and they are pretty damn proud of the fact that they are still working eventhough they look like crap.

If you want one then by all means get one, but don't try to tell other people that they need one, that sounds too much like someone trying to justify an unnecessary expense to me than it does like an actual endorsement.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Mr gfen,

The finish on the Lamson's does look cheap but it isn't. You could play street hockey with that reel then hit it with a green scrub pad and take out all of the scuffs. Pretty sweet idea and virtually indestructible. I've been researching them and my next reel may be a Lamson. The Vanquish is WAAAAYYYY over the top though.

Back