A Womans point of view about fly fishing

O

outsider

so, there's subject about women fly fishing from a mans point of view. let's hear their point of view. Ladies POV only. My wife will share her experiences.

Wetnet kicked us to the curb.

Why do you assume women fly anglers would be concentrated in the beginners forum? Oh, sorry, you mean women being taken fishing by their significant other? My bad.

Last summer my wife out-fished me. Not fly fishing. But she out-fished me.

She's laughing at me right now...

Great. Now I'm gonna have to buy her waders.

Man, a hero's funeral for any husband trying to teach a wife to flyfish. I remember our first canoe trip. It's thirty years later and only because I haven't ventured into those waters again. I'd love to have her fish with me, but somebody else would have to teach the dear woman!
Coughlin

This is just my view, not of any other women that fly fishes. Or fishes at all.

My best teacher was someone I took fishing everyday when he was young. Since then he has untangled me without making me feel bad. He has looked through my frustration with his eyes and given me tools to feel independent.

That was my best experience.

It is what is driving me to the yard to throw out some line to check out my flies and wonder why it has been so long since I've gone fishing.

Beginner Forum? Everything has a beginning.

There is a women by the name of Hannah Belford who is a Steelhead guide up in B.C Canada. She is pretty bad *** with a fly rod! Both single handed and spey ( she is pretty hot too.)

Does it always come down to how they look?

Do looks matter? No, but they help...

Cornholio wrote:
Do looks matter? No, but they help...

If you really knew what helped women....Women that really want to fish. Please reconsider comments like this for this post. There is a real opportunity to get some women and young girls into fly fishing. Not all women want to bake, attend PTO meetings and not all girls want to be cheerleader soccer or volleyball stars..Some like to do all of the above... and also some women like to fish.

Fly fishing is not a mandated mens sport and this topic should not head toward the locker room for this particular post. If you feel it needs to go there, I truly wish you would reconsider.

To an earlier post:
Teaching someone is always hard. Male or Female. I can't teach my husband to work my trained dogs in the field. He flops his arms all over and the dogs look at him semi-clueless. We went on vacation and he snapped up trout when he hadn't fished for over 10 years. I had the best teacher and worked really hard at it and caught 1 fish. I think that this scenario is true for both sexes flipped flopped both ways. Whether you chose to respect the people on this site equally, I guess it's up to ?.

Getum sis

wetnet, I agree with you 100%. Let's hear some real woman's POV about flyfishing. What good subject matter for my 1000th post. I think it's great when anybody gets into flyfishing, man or woman.

In case anyone thinks women flyfishing is a recent trend:
http://www.tilburyhouse.com/maine-and-new-england/fly-rod-crosby.htm
She apparently could throw a line given her nickname. I have not read this book, but I read about her in George Black's "Casting a Spell."

Ran into a female one year on Penns around a friends cabin. She could really toss a line and was super precise about her techniques.

It was a joke, meant to be taken lightly....... If i offended you wet net i apologize.

Does it always come down to how they look?

I would say yes!! And how much do they weigh, and how old!
And second would be how much money do they have?
Really, and let's be honest, it doesn't matter how good a girl can cast a fly rod!

Well that's a real shame.

Someone once wiped your butt and you chose to qualify a woman in that way.

Next time you decide to be born, wipe your own butt.

I say this with the most respect to the other Mothers on this site and say that this is my opinion alone and isn't the opinion of any other Mothers on this site.

I agree with you wetnet.
this sport can be intimidating enough without women bashing idiots having diarrhea of the mouth.
personally, I'd love to see more women out fishing. I take my girlfriend on occasion, she enjoys it, and can cast on little brookie streams very well.
lets get this thread headed back to where it belongs.
I always though an event geared towards women would be nice, those of us with spouses/signif others could attend, as well as any women with an interest, experienced or not, and those of us with experience could provide instruction and help.

There has been a small contingent of dedicated female fly anglers for a long time. My wife never had much interest in fishing herself, but she's hiked up small mountain streams while I fished and we occasionally float rivers in my canoe. As long as the scenery is pretty and the weather isn't bad she enjoys herself. She's been very accommodating of my interest in fly-fishing, she even booked me a day on the River Test as a wedding present.

I honestly think that there is a lot to be gained from an increased number of women in fly-fishing. Egotism is pretty pervasive in our sport, and the fact that fly-fishing is male-dominated amplifies this. Many fly-fishing organizations would especially benefit from having more women involved. I'd be glad to have them.

Back