A test !

sandfly

sandfly

heres a fly for you to identify the materials. 1st one to get all 3 materials wins a prize !!!

Attachments

• secret fly 2012-07-11 001 (400x300).jpg
    secret fly 2012-07-11 001 (400x300).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 14
Thread, feathers/fur, and a hook.

You just got Squatched!

Brown hen hackle, white cdc and sulphur yellow haretron dubbing.

to my naive eye....

Pheasant tail, white cdc, yellow rabbit dubbing

Tail looks to fine to be pheasant tail barbules - that's why I went with hen hackle.

Pheasant Tail, White CDC, Rabbit Dubbing in yellow

Edit: Oops. Sorry. Someone already guessed that! That's what I think it is though.

PT, white polypropylene wing, yellow flyrite dubbing

Ah! I want a redo. Even if I was right before it doesn't matter I would've already lost.

Pheasant Tail, White Marabou, yellow Rabbit dubbing

Knowing Sandfly, its probably tied with some obscure material that no one makes anymore but he gets from the fly tying black market ;-)

Unless both the tail and abdomen are the same material which I don't think they are, looks like 4 materials to me. Tail is hackle fibers, abdomen is PT, wing is white CDC and thorax is hare's ear dubbing.

eagle claw bait hook and aisle 6 of a craft store

so far none have gotton one item yet, squash it is not hard to get materials....not craft stores either but genuine fly tying materials..easy to get, and readily availible. a few have come close to the tail, but not yet... keep trying as I am getting the prize together.......

the wing material is found in nature...

quils for the tail

I think the tail might be muskrat guard hairs. And the wing is a chicken or maybe turkey feather similar to a bleached turkey flat.
Now I'm just guessing, but the abdomen is dubbed, and I would guess muskrat to go along with the tail, and the thorax is some coarse dyed dubbing like hare's mask.

tail javalina
body musksrat dubbing
wing zlon
thorax beaver dubbing

chicken feather, the other two have me stumped

Ok a few clues for you !
1 the tail and abdomen are the same material, hen was close but not it.

2 the wing material was used during WWII for pilots and is still used today in some things

3 the thorax is a material most of you throw away from the feather..

partridge, silk, afterfeather

wood chuck tail, turkey biot body, thorax yellow dubbing (I dont think what kind makes any diference)

Sandfly must have a friend who is a barber. I'd swear that fly is made completely out of clippings off of the barber shop floor. :)

Back