A New Brookie find?

Somewhat in line with the OP’s observaruons/question of an unknown population, wasn’t there someone from york county who found a little spring trickler with wild native brook trout and he started a thread for it. I forget where that was or if that discovery of brook trout ever got an effort going behind it restoration wise.

Jeff id love to swing by that spot with you and take a look sometime after work(in that area). Is the farmer friendly?
I briefly talked to my brother. He said he's not sure if it was a "legacy sediment" project per say but did mention the MS4 that Lyco mentioned above. My brother did say large amounts of soil were transported to the farmer's fields.

Last edited:
I briefly talked to my brother. He said he's not sure if it was a "legacy sediment" project per say but did mention the MS4 that Lyco mentioned above. My brother did say large amounts of soil were transported to the farmer's fields.
Oh wow like upland application of soil taken from creek bed/ the flood plain?

That's what he said.Now I'm not sure what a lot is. The spot is pretty small. I can see if I can find a bit more out.

That's what he said.Now I'm not sure what a lot is. The spot is pretty small. I can see if I can find a bit more out.
I wonder if it is fenced/cattle excluded. Does it have a buffer?

Interesting info Lyco and glad to learn of it. Even though the mitigation bank that you described is probably independent of what I was writing about, Codorus was one of the priority wild trout waters for funds directed specifically to York and Lancaster Co priority wild trout streams. By now I expect that York Co’s Conservation District has made progress in capturing those monies. They were working on doing so when I retired.
East Branch Codorus has has really improved over the past 40 years. I remember catching my first trout close to the " Hex House". The project they did in maybe 2005(area upstream of culvert near 216 ) has healed very nice. I hated the " cow quicksand" that was on that branch. Much of that has cleared up over the years.

That seems like a reasonable and cost effective use for legacy sediment removed from the floodplain. They're just putting the soil back where it came from.

That seems like a reasonable and cost effective use for legacy sediment removed from the floodplain. They're just putting the soil back where it came from.
Yea this is a selling point to landowners on the technique. They get new pasture thats not flooded/ too wet

Here are some pics I snapped today. One is of the spring upstream. It's flowing nicely! The other 3 are from the project that is maybe a year old. I am pretty sure the piles of soil are what was removed.

Attachments

• S-1..jpeg
    S-1..jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IS-2.jpeg
    IS-2.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 28
  • S-3.jpeg
    S-3.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 26
  • S-4.jpeg
    S-4.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 29
There are no cattle there and I don't think that area is farmed. It is pasture down from there but only a few sheep. I did catch a few wild browns down from here last year. A few wide shallow areas. Segloch is not far upstream. The farmer has also put a huge pond on the banks of the creek. Probably screwed up the spring that runs in near it. Here is the upstream spring.

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 27
There are no cattle there and I don't think that area is farmed. It is pasture down from there but only a few sheep. I did catch a few wild browns down from here last year. A few wide shallow areas. Segloch is not far upstream. The farmer has also put a huge pond on the banks of the creek. Probably screwed up the spring that runs in near it. Here is the upstream spring.
Oh wow, its areas like these that teally get me excited. They are super impaired but if a spring originates on one property and has good cold flows, potentially just fencing and silviculture can make habitable for brook trout in some cases.

Jeff, those pictures do not appear to depict a legacy sediment removal/ floodplain restoration project. The streambanks may have been graded back a bit and then armored with riprap. While this may help reduce bank erosion, it certainly left uplift potential on the table.

Jeff, those pictures do not appear to depict a legacy sediment removal/ floodplain restoration project. The streambanks may have been graded back a bit and then armored with riprap. While this may help reduce bank erosion, it certainly left uplift potential on the table.
What is meant by "uplift potential?"

What is meant by "uplift potential?"
Ecological uplift(function). Interms of additional flood plain connection in addition to (with legacy sediment removal to hydric soils/just above gravel basal layer) increased downwelling/groubd water recharge. Also in addition to thermal the concept explained to me is that reduction in sediment loading would be superior compared to just grading the banks because accessible flood plain surface area is going to correlate with decrease in sediment transport to a large degree.

Jeff, those pictures do not appear to depict a legacy sediment removal/ floodplain restoration project. The streambanks may have been graded back a bit and then armored with riprap. While this may help reduce bank erosion, it certainly left uplift potential on the table

I would agree. From looking at the site it doesn't look like much was moved but I guess some was. The bank seemed fine. In fact, it was a nicer home before the rip rap.

Ecological uplift(function). Interms of additional flood plain connection in addition to (with legacy sediment removal to hydric soils/just above gravel basal layer) increased downwelling/groubd water recharge. Also in addition to thermal the concept explained to me is that reduction in sediment loading would be superior compared to just grading the banks because accessible flood plain surface area is going to correlate with decrease in sediment transport to a large degree.
So "uplift potential" means "improvement potential." Makes sense.

Back