A New Brookie find?

And I am not a fan of the whole “no trees in the flood plain” approach of legacy sediment removal at DEP. Its pretty short sighted and thats all DEP’s wet land restoration division wants to pay for right now.
Could you tell us more about this? Have they written "no trees in the floodplains" specifications? If so, do you have a link to them? And what are examples of such projects?

One of the many touted benefits of legacy sediment removal and full floodplain restoration us increased groundwater connectivity and recharge. This is supposed to result in improved thermal conditions more resistant to large fluctuations depending on air temperatures. I have yet to see any substantial water temperature data from these projects to provide evidence one way or the other. Some of these projects do see significant regrowth of trees in short order, obviously these would be quick growing species like willow, dogwood and sycamore, but there is often an impressive assortment of vegetation type that grows quite dense. Like any other restoration approach, all projects are not created equal.
Stream restoration people have been arguing about what vegetation should be on the floodplains. Some prefer the floodplains to be covered with trees, the other camp prefers herbaceous, i.e. non-woody vegetation, grasses and forbs.

In the Driftless area in Wisconsin this argument has been going on since the 1960s or so, and is referred to as the "grass vs trees" debate. WI DNR practice, at least as recently as the 1990s, has been to do periodic "debrushing" to keep the riparian areas in grasses and forbs and prevent trees and brush growth. I don't know if they've changed this policy or not.

In PA forested buffer projects usually plant about 200 trees per acre. This is 12 ft x 15 ft spacing, which is pretty tight spacing. And in some places I've seen them planted much closer than that.

Some of the legacy sediment people seem to believe that the floodplains originally were all herbaceous, with no trees.

IMHO, both camps tend towards extreme views: All trees or No trees.

I think the floodplains originally had trees, shrubs, grasses, sedges, and forbs. A very diverse vegetation, because of the diverse landscapes within the floodplains.

There are many trees and shrubs that are adapted to wet areas and so surely occupied riparian and floodplains for thousands of years.

So are you saying the Forest Hills is one population?
One of the many touted benefits of legacy sediment removal and full floodplain restoration us increased groundwater connectivity and recharge. This is supposed to result in improved thermal conditions more resistant to large fluctuations depending on air temperatures. I have yet to see any substantial water temperature data from these projects to provide evidence one way or the other. Some of these projects do see significant regrowth of trees in short order, obviously these would be quick growing species like willow, dogwood and sycamore, but there is often an impressive assortment of vegetation type that grows quite dense. Like any other restoration approach, all projects are not created equal.
Yea i have seen the conceptual benefits of reconnecting floodplain and allowing water to go into gravel basal layer/increase ground water recharge and have been looking for data on this recently as well too but have not seen any. Need to ask someone who knows where to find it if it exists. Have been working with a consultant who says large preexisting trees in flood plain and make the flood plane lower but non uniform or “hummicky”. I know they plant shrubs like silky dog woods and that kind of stuff. But generally i think canopy is way sub par. Of you ate doing a restoration for native brook trout i do not see why you would not want to put tree species that create better thermal benefits in the area regardless of reconnecting water to the gravel basal layer or increase aquifer recharge. The inly reason I could see not to is if a target species of restoration besides brook trout is ESA listed or also SGCN or there is SITE SPECIFIC evidence of a reference condition. I think the shrubbery is based on one dig done by Dr. Dorothy Merrits and has been wildly extrapolated. Ot seems that the main consultant doing this work in lancaster county also has going back into the flood plain in there business model for perpetual sediment removal in some cases which quick growing shrubbery would seem more friendly too. Not making accusations just observations.

Troutbert-there is no formal policy but if you talk with dave Gorman or jeff Harnet at Dep’s wetland dept they will strongly discourage you from outting any trees in flood plain and indicate thats not what they are interested in funding and cite a dig done that recovered native shrubs in an area or two during the original studies done by Dr
Merrits.

Agree with Lyco that no one size fits all but the burden of site specific reference condition to dictate away from trees in a project with target species of wild native brook trout written into grant should be the standard if one is truthfully claiming pursuit of maximum feasible ecological lift for the target species.

There are many trees and shrubs that are adapted to riparian and wet conditions and surely have been there for thousands of years.

For example willows, silver maple, river birch, sycamore, box elder, swamp white oak, silky and red-osier dogwood, tamarack, viburnums, alders, cottonwood...

There are many other species that live in a wide variety of sites, both upland and riparian & floodplain areas. Red maple, hemlock, ash, elm, hawthorns, black walnut...

I think they are correct that there were more floodplain wetlands in the past then now. But trees and shrubs grow in wetlands, as well as grasses, forbs, reeds, etc. Willows and sycamores can grow in very wet places. Not far from where I live there are black willows and sycamores growing in a place that has had standing water every time I've been there. They're growing in a pond!

Last edited:
There are many trees and shrubs that are adapted to riparian and wet conditions and surely have been there for thousands of years.

For example willows, silver maple, river birch, sycamore, box elder, swamp white oak, silky and red-osier dogwood, tamarack, viburnums, alders, cottonwood...

There are many other species that live in a wide variety of sites, both upland and riparian & floodplain areas. Red maple, hemlock, ash, elm, hawthorns, black walnut...

I think they are correct that there were more floodplain wetlands in the past then now. But trees and shrubs grow in wetlands, as well as grasses, forbs, reeds, etc. Willows and sycamores can grow in very wet places. Not far from where I live there are black willows and sycamores growing in a place that has had standing water every time I've been there. They're growing in a pond! I don't know how
Yea thats alot of people working in restoration ecologies point that how often do you see a bunch of hemlocks surrounded by skunk cabbage in soupy soils. I think that while it was not all forested wet lands, doing legacy sediment removal 500 feet downstream of forested SGL that is filled with conifers, oaks, maples ect with brook trout that was likely historically deforested land for agriculture is taking their limited findings a little too far. I mean this when i say this, EVERY site i have visited our consultant has told me DEP is not going to want trees in the flood plain with a legacy sediment removal project. And i got a tour of big spring run in east lampeter township from Dave and Jeff and they told me as much.

Yea thats alot of people working in restoration ecologies point that how often do you see a bunch of hemlocks surrounded by skunk cabbage in soupy soils. I think that while it was not all forested wet lands, doing legacy sediment removal 500 feet downstream of forested SGL that is filled with conifers, oaks, maples ect with brook trout that was likely historically deforested land for agriculture is taking their limited findings a little too far. I mean this when i say this, EVERY site i have visited our consultant has told me DEP is not going to want trees in the flood plain with a legacy sediment removal project. And i got a tour of big spring run in east lampeter township from Dave and Jeff and they told me as much.
What legacy sediment projects do you know of?

I'm aware of the Big Spring Run project near Lampeter, and the Bantas project on Lititz Run, both in Lancaster County.

Are there others with large scale legacy sediment removal? I know that in many cases they remove a little bit of legacy sediment near the stream, creating a "floodplain bench" or remove a little while sloping back the banks. But those are very limited legacy sediment removals.

Do you know of any other cases where they removed legacy sediment across all or most of the floodplain?

There have unfortunately been a lot of recent tree loss in furnace hills. Was a big timber sale on walnut creek headwaters. And I am not a fan of the whole “no trees in the flood plain” approach of legacy sediment removal at DEP. Its pretty short sighted and thats all DEP’s wet land restoration division wants to pay for right now.
I know there was a major cut on the Girl Scout property. That was a crime. I'm not sure what creeks that might impact. Maybe the headwaters of Indian Run. I'm not sure if any trout remain there but I doubt it. The headwaters of Elders Run was hit a couple of times.

On another note, the stream I am referring to used to be Diamond Spring Water site and is now owned by Nestle. My bother fought the last big request for water. He brought a bunch of people like the SRBC to come in and testify. He said most supervisors know next to nothing (and don't care) about these issues. He would have to constantly get on developers to fulfill their obligations. He had grand plans for Clay Township but he played defense the whole time.

I'm aware of the Big Spring Run project near Lampeter, and the Bantas project on Lititz Run, both in Lancaster County.

Are there others with large scale legacy sediment removal? I know that in many cases they remove a little bit of legacy sediment near the stream, creating a "floodplain bench" or remove a little while sloping back the banks. But those are very limited legacy sediment removals.

Do you know of any other cases where they removed legacy sediment across all or most of the floodplain?
I believe middle creek has one. We have been looking at 3 potential areas in the hammer creek watershed and are in talks with landowners. We have a consultant who has been doing restoration first for fish and wild life for over a decade, then in private firm for over 10 years, and he actually was also involved in academia at one time and has written some restoration protocols used by the state of maryland. He does multiple styles of restoration including legacy sediment. I have walked about 10 potential sites for the technique with him in the hammer watershed trying to find out where the high ecological lift, landowners desires, and funding opportunities all match up. Thats where I het most of my information on this topic. I also have called and spoke with Dr. Merrits the inventor of the technique to hear her thoughts on application of the technique as well. She is very nice to talk to. Brubaker run is another site tou can go and see. They did a single thread channel plan form there which is different from the litiz run or big spring run. When I talk about the technique i am talking about digging a trench down to where you find gravel basal layer (made up of colluvium from thermal expansion cracking roughly 10-15k years ago as per Dr. Merritt) then removing sediment down to the historic wetland/hydric soils right above that gravel basal layer that is made up of colluvium. Thats what i consider legacy sediment removal because when water can percolate into that gravel basal layer those are thermal benefits lyco was talking about(theres others like down welling into aquifer and flood plain connection as well).

You absolutely get some benefits to sediment loading with making a bench that still has legacy sediment under it in terms of flood plain connection but my crude non expert understanding is getting doen to hydric soils/colluvium provides the thermal benefits. Like Lyco has said in pst and i have learned before as well is you can’t always excavate down to that layer because for example if a busy county road bridge is built on legacy sediment excavating down to it would create a 5 foot drop off in some cases. These “points of constraint” for your project dictate what can be done.

However here is my question…..

If your in a brook trout stream that has legacy sediment and you plant a riparian buffer and taper/grade banks before you plant. Will the mature trees with deep root systems not help with ground water infiltration too? Likely not to the degree of scraping the crap off the orginal wetland soils/valley floor but some right? I mean alliance for the bat wont plant trees within 15 feet of your farm pond if you want to keep it because the roots will cause the pond to downwell through the leavy side on the slope into the ground and dry up.

I would love to quantify the ground water effects of densely planted buffer at maturity and legacy sediment removal in a head to head just out of curiosity. I am assuming the legacy sediment removal takes the cake but curious about the buffer. One i can get done in 3 months the other requires like 5 years of planning, much more landowner engagement and decision making, organizing a full on logistics operational structure similar to that of a company, talking to bankers, talking to DEP, and writing multiple multiple grants. I am willing to do the latter as much as family and time will allow and have been pitching in on hammer for 6 years now but i would just like to see some data comparing all the benefits, costs, and timelines for the two restoration techniques

Middle Creek's is pretty much of a joke. Is there any supervision of Legacy sediment work done by townships? If you head South on Brunnerville Road near Pepe's pizza, you can see it on the downstream side of the bridge. It looks like they through a bunch of rocks in the water to bolster the bank. Nothing looks like a legacy sediment removal. I think there is one on the Cocalico Creek just south of 272.

I know there was a major cut on the Girl Scout property. That was a crime. I'm not sure what creeks that might impact. Maybe the headwaters of Indian Run. I'm not sure if any trout remain there but I doubt it. The headwaters of Elders Run was hit a couple of times.

On another note, the stream I am referring to used to be Diamond Spring Water site and is now owned by Nestle. My bother fought the last big request for water. He brought a bunch of people like the SRBC to come in and testify. He said most supervisors know next to nothing (and don't care) about these issues. He would have to constantly get on developers to fulfill their obligations. He had grand plans for Clay Township but he played defense the whole time.
What ashame, water grabs are crazy look at nicholas meats they just started withdrawling with no permit got no fine or penalty from srbc and turned around and applied for like 700k gallons a day in total or something from the sugar valley aquifer that would steal from big fishing creek. Water grabs or pacing over/manipulating karst formations are basically stealing/destroying our best thermal refuge in many cases. The situation your brother described is a microcosm of Pennsylvania.

Middle Creek's is pretty much of a joke. Is there any supervision of Legacy sediment work done by townships? If you head South on Brunnerville Road near Pepe's pizza, you can see it on the downstream side of the bridge. It looks like they through a bunch of rocks in the water to bolster the bank. Nothing looks like a legacy sediment removal. I think there is one on the Cocalico Creek just south of 272.
Sorry Jeff thats the one i meant cocalico

I believe middle creek has one. We have been looking at 3 potential areas in the hammer creek watershed and are in talks with landowners. We have a consultant who has been doing restoration first for fish and wild life for over a decade, then in private firm for over 10 years, and he actually was also involved in academia at one time and has written some restoration protocols used by the state of maryland. He does multiple styles of restoration including legacy sediment. I have walked about 10 potential sites for the technique with him in the hammer watershed trying to find out where the high ecological lift, landowners desires, and funding opportunities all match up. Thats where I het most of my information on this topic. I also have called and spoke with Dr. Merrits the inventor of the technique to hear her thoughts on application of the technique as well. She is very nice to talk to. Brubaker run is another site tou can go and see. They did a single thread channel plan form there which is different from the litiz run or big spring run. When I talk about the technique i am talking about digging a trench down to where you find gravel basal layer (made up of colluvium from thermal expansion cracking roughly 10-15k years ago as per Dr. Merritt) then removing sediment down to the historic wetland/hydric soils right above that gravel basal layer that is made up of colluvium. Thats what i consider legacy sediment removal because when water can percolate into that gravel basal layer those are thermal benefits lyco was talking about(theres others like down welling into aquifer and flood plain connection as well).

You absolutely get some benefits to sediment loading with making a bench that still has legacy sediment under it in terms of flood plain connection but my crude non expert understanding is getting doen to hydric soils/colluvium provides the thermal benefits. Like Lyco has said in pst and i have learned before as well is you can’t always excavate down to that layer because for example if a busy county road bridge is built on legacy sediment excavating down to it would create a 5 foot drop off in some cases. These “points of constraint” for your project dictate what can be done.

However here is my question…..

If your in a brook trout stream that has legacy sediment and you plant a riparian buffer and taper/grade banks before you plant. Will the mature trees with deep root systems not help with ground water infiltration too? Likely not to the degree of scraping the crap off the orginal wetland soils/valley floor but some right? I mean alliance for the bat wont plant trees within 15 feet of your farm pond if you want to keep it because the roots will cause the pond to downwell through the leavy side on the slope into the ground and dry up.

I would love to quantify the ground water effects of densely planted buffer at maturity and legacy sediment removal in a head to head just out of curiosity. I am assuming the legacy sediment removal takes the cake but curious about the buffer. One i can get done in 3 months the other requires like 5 years of planning, much more landowner engagement and decision making, organizing a full on logistics operational structure similar to that of a company, talking to bankers, talking to DEP, and writing multiple multiple grants. I am willing to do the latter as much as family and time will allow and have been pitching in on hammer for 6 years now but i would just like to see some data comparing all the benefits, costs, and timelines for the two restoration techniques
Most trees do not extend roots deep into the ground. You can see this when trees get uprooted. Typically the roots extend out a lot, but don't go down very deep.

I've read a fair bit of the legacy sediment literature. But haven't read the ideas about the groundwater effects, but I'd be interested in reading it.

BTW, on Spring Creek upstream of the McCoy Access is a good place to look at legacy sediment stuff. There are cutbanks there where you can see the layering. They are located not far below the bend at the gas station.

Most trees do not extend roots deep into the ground. You can see this when trees get uprooted. Typically the roots extend out a lot, but don't go down very deep.

I've read a fair bit of the legacy sediment literature. But haven't read the ideas about the groundwater effects, but I'd be interested in reading it.

BTW, on Spring Creek upstream of the McCoy Access is a good place to look at legacy sediment stuff. There are cutbanks there where you can see the layering. They are located not far below the bend at the gas station.
Yea thats true i have heard anecdotally some trees have trouble growing when there is a deep layer of legacy sediment between the surface and wetter soils. Think that had to do with shallower roots possibly?

Theres a lot of this stuff being done relative to other stream restoration techniques in lancaster county and i would love to see post implementation data on metrics like temp, aquatic species assemblages(brook trout). I think sediment loafing and nutrient loading have more data but i have not looked for it. I have just talked to Dr. Merrits and DEP and consultants and I now think its time to see what I can find written down.

Jeff id love to swing by that spot with you and take a look sometime after work(in that area). Is the farmer friendly?

TB, during my tenure up until early 2019 the two projects that you mentioned involving legacy sediment were to my knowledge the only ones in the region.

A major project involving three Fishing Ck tribs in Lanc Co was starting and multiple agencies had been lined up to undertake evaluation of various metrics…physical, biological, and I think chemical…. but as I said, the multi-year project was just getting started. It was not a legacy sediment removal project. It was primarily a BMP project, involving multiple techniques depending on the individual farms’ needs and, if I recall correctly, buffer development in some cases. There was some in-stream work initiated as well on at least one farm, but I don’t recall in-stream work being a major part of the original project peoposal. I looked at the project as being primarily a BMP project.

Separately, there is considerable annual funding available for habitat work in and along a short list of prioritized wild trout streams within the borders of Lancaster and York Counties as well as separate annual funding for dam removals there.

Likewise, funding accumulates annually and is distributed every few years via a grant process for projects of various types limited to the Quitty and Tulpehocken drainages.

Last edited:
There is more of this work going on than most are aware of. This discussion should probably be on a new post. There is a large mitigation bank on Codorus headwaters near Loganville that utilized a combination of legacy sediment removal and floodplain restoration approaches. These streams were not trout water in prior conditions. Some of the thought process behind not recommending mass tree plantings is to not force a forested wetland where it may not want to exist and let nature establish the vegetation regime desirable after a base of native herbaceous plantings is established.

There are a number of smaller scale projections being done all over SC and SE pa for satisfying MS4 requirements, the better projects are looking at wholistic restoration on headwaters streams which involves some combination of the mentioned approaches. An example can be seen behind PFBC headquarters running up to the PSP and PGC facilities that was done by RES to satisfy a partnership of local municipalities and Dauphin Co's MS4 requirements.

The geographical constraints and differing priorities for nutrient and sediment reduction lead to many of the projects be completed in watershed that do not support wild trout.

There are also some very poor projects being completed by various consultants and municipalities in the name of MS4, but that is an entirely different discussion.

There is more of this work going on than most are aware of. This discussion should probably be on a new post. There is a large mitigation bank on Codorus headwaters near Loganville that utilized a combination of legacy sediment removal and floodplain restoration approaches. These streams were not trout water in prior conditions. Some of the thought process behind not recommending mass tree plantings is to not force a forested wetland where it may not want to exist and let nature establish the vegetation regime desirable after a base of native herbaceous plantings is established.

There are a number of smaller scale projections being done all over SC and SE pa for satisfying MS4 requirements, the better projects are looking at wholistic restoration on headwaters streams which involves some combination of the mentioned approaches. An example can be seen behind PFBC headquarters running up to the PSP and PGC facilities that was done by RES to satisfy a partnership of local municipalities and Dauphin Co's MS4 requirements.

The geographical constraints and differing priorities for nutrient and sediment reduction lead to many of the projects be completed in watershed that do not support wild trout.

There are also some very poor projects being completed by various consultants and municipalities in the name of MS4, but that is an entirely different discussion.
Interesting info Lyco and glad to learn of it. Even though the mitigation bank that you described is probably independent of what I was writing about, Codorus was one of the priority wild trout waters for funds directed specifically to York and Lancaster Co priority wild trout streams. By now I expect that York Co’s Conservation District has made progress in capturing those monies. They were working on doing so when I retired.

Back