A famous fly that you dont care for?

Another vote for the Royal Coachman. Never had much luck with it.

goddard caddis, i have a couple dozen of them and i never caught a thing with them,.....royal coachmen here in pa i never had any luck, out west on the bitterroot fished them spent wing style and wow did we catch fish

Oh I get it you guys were tying amebas and I musta made a comment. Well that makes sense. Hey Shakey wasn't there...you guys tellin tales about me out of school?

Maurice wrote:
Oh I get it you guys were tying amebas and I musta made a comment. Well that makes sense. Hey Shakey wasn't there...you guys tellin tales about me out of school?

Nah, I had a good 15 minutes on it at this year's jam and Shakey asked me what I was using. Seriously, dude, you were right there. It was right after hot dogs on Spring. I hit 3 in about 15 minutes after a whole day of two fish. I thought you were standing with us. I could have been wrong.

Boyer

jrcll wrote:
goddard caddis, i have a couple dozen of them and i never caught a thing with them,.....royal coachmen here in pa i never had any luck, out west on the bitterroot fished them spent wing style and wow did we catch fish

I like them...they just take three times as long to tie than any other caddis pattern. The work, they float, they're durable, they're overkill...

I don't care for the newest, latest and greatest fly that calls for some new material that's you can buy by the yard for a few bucks, but is $20 a square inch at the flyshop... so anything in this month's edition of the glossy fly fishing rags.

I like the old, proven flies that you can tye with stuff you stocked up on in bulk because you use them so much.

I see recipes for "old, proven flies" in those glossy rags all the time. You may climb down now.

Oh that reminds me, I also hate anything that is absurdly literal. I mean, overly realistic.

Padraic wrote:
Oh that reminds me, I also hate anything that is absurdly literal. I mean, overly realistic.

I'll agree with that. But maybe I just don't like doing unnecessary extra work.

I have caught stockies, smallmouth and sunfish on princes...as a matter of fact, I caught a 14 inch smallmouth on a size 12 prince in Deer Creek. They don't get much bigger than that. Same goes for stimulators....lots of smallmouth and sunfish in warm water. Never use princes for trout fishing....my go to is BHPT.

Now to answer the question. This is more a statement about me more than about the fly, but zonkers and sculpins (or any big streamer) are my nemesis. I'll admit I have never learned to properly fish them.

Maurice wrote:

Amoebas?

I gave you a handful of amoebas and told you my pattern for another last jam, and you had no complaints. :p

I'm with BelAirSteve - I'm a horrible streamer fisherman so I tie and carry almost none (wooly buggers included).

I know it is more of a style of fly, but I don't care for traditional catskill style dries at all. I do much better on parachute style or compara dun style flies and they take much less time.

As for streamers, I got out of tying wooly buggers in favor of deer hair sculpins, they take longer, but I have a lot more success with them and fish with more confidence. I agree with others who said that the presentation and confidence you fish them with is ultimately as important as the type of fly you fish.

"I don't care for traditional catskill style dries at all"

Wow, I feel like that Indian in that pollution commercial. A tear just rolled down my cheek.
LOL. Just kidding, of course, Reds.
-Dave

I too now fish mostly parachutes and compara duns. My catskill ties are reserved mostly for faster water because of good visibilty and floatability. I will also tie one on when I need to add movement to the fly since they ride high and the hook point doesn't dig into the water.

" DON'T USE CATSKILL STYLE " Thats just Not Right>>>Shame on all of you.

Then again i was raised on catskill flies..and seagrams 7...lol...

The Mddler was never meant to be fished on the bottom, it is a water column fly, meaning it is fished above the bottom and even on the surface. It is a good brook trout fly. As for the Royal Wulff I've probably caught more fish in more places with the pattern than any other fly, including a trophy smallie. As for Stimulators when a RW isn't working try stimulators.
For me I hate nymphs, I know I shouldn't but I do.

never liked muddlers either but i tied some galloup zoo cougars (kinda like a muddler) and the deer hair head really gives it action, almost like fishing a bass lure. the thing darts side to side and looks pretty bad ***. Used them in the fall when the water was normal to low and watching the strikes was really cool. Also, used them on a sink tip in high flows. Don't care much for the classic skinny streamers, ghosts, mickey finn's...etc. Give me some bunny hair baby!

MattBoyer wrote:
Maurice wrote:

Nah, I had a good 15 minutes on it at this year's jam and Shakey asked me what I was using. Seriously, dude, you were right there. It was right after hot dogs on Spring. I hit 3 in about 15 minutes after a whole day of two fish. I thought you were standing with us. I could have been wrong.

Boyer[/quote]

it was big john that was still with us.paul G was there just before.nobody was doing much all day and then matt started slamming them non-stop with "that maurice fly"

maurice left for down stream not long after the hot dogs.there was a braggy non-jammer that wouldn't clam up ,getting on peoples nerves.

you should see this fly,nothing to it.like a honberg with nothing left but a few wood duck(or dyed mallard )fibers and hackle.that's it!

hornbergs and coachmen are two of my favorite flies BTW.

i have never caught anything on a danged SJW!!!argh,i hate that fly.

shakey wrote:
there was a braggy non-jammer that wouldn't clam up ,getting on peoples nerves.

35 fish that day, wasn't it? :-D

Boyer

Back