A Day Trip From Philly

thebassman

thebassman

Hey Guys,

I may have the opportunity later this week (Friday) to head out and fish. I typically hit up Valley or the Little Lehigh and am fine going there, but figured I should get out and explore some other streams that PA has to offer.

This time of year where would you suggest I drive to? I am fine driving up to three hours away to fish for the day. Leave by 5:30, get fishing by 8:30-9:00 then leave by 5:00pm to get back by 8:00:8:30pm is okay with me.

Possibly may stay over night and hit some others Saturday if I go the full three hours away, but that still is up in the air.

Shoot me a PM if you want.

Thanks Guys,
Steven

head for cold water - spring creek, falling spring branch, big spring creek, delaware branches, beaver creek MD.

that's a lot of driving to do in one day together with fishing in the heat. i'd camp or sleep in the car....

Bassman,

For trout I assume?

Some good suggestions above ^.

Three areas within that driving distance come to mind that should fish well in July with colder water:

In the SC: Big Spring, Letort and Yellow Breeches

In the Central: Spring Creek and Fishing Creek (Clinton Cnty)

In the NE: The Upper Delaware River.

You can get a lot of info on here by doing a search on these streams and rivers.

how about the saucon, or bushkill, or poconos area.

sandfly wrote:
how about the saucon, or bushkill, or poconos area.

What sandfly says. Bushkill creek in Easton has a really good trico hatch.

GenCon

Afish - is the Yellow Breeches sping fed then ? I haven't fished it yet because I thought it warmed too much in the summers ???

geebee wrote:
Afish - is the Yellow Breeches sping fed then ? I haven't fished it yet because I thought it warmed too much in the summers ???

Boiling Spring feeds Childrens Lake/BS Lake and the temps should be okay in "the stretch" below, especially given the higher flow and a little more moderate air temps. Much of the Breeches can be iffy with regard to water temps in mid-summer so always check. Maybe one of the locals can give us a heads up on the temp.

Also, the summer white fly hatch on the YB is something to behold with respect to the number of fish rising, and numbers of anglers angling during the hatch.

Bassman, pm sent.

GenCon

Night_stalker was kind enough to give us all a "heads up" on the conditions in and around the Cumberland Valley (SC PA).

CV conditions

Check the gauges and maybe give YB fly shop a call before you go.

Thinking of checking out either the Letort...because....well....I hear so much about it. Possibly the Pohopoco as well below the dam.

Back