$500 waders-well $499.95 anyway

Tom do you really think that mail ordering a Sage from LL bean is going to help you when you need local info on a stream you are fishing??

The local shops know the bugs, access, conditions, etc and need every sale they can make.

I'm sorry I thought you said you were all about "Only the best gear..." I support local fly shops when I can. But I'm not throwing away money either. I thought this thread was about overpriced waders anyway, not where you buy them.

If you need info from a shop, I think it is a good thing that you patronize them. I just don't get wanting other folks to keep a shop in business so that you can get information for yourself.

Yeah, I am about only the best gear. And overpriced to one is chump change to another.

I got the G3s really cheap, and am in love with them. I have no idea if I'd pay retail, but hopefully in a few years I can afford to make the decision easier. They are awesome waders so far.

I'll let you know Friday when i get my G3s wet for the first time :)

I bought mine incrementally though - over the past 5 years i have had 3 pairs of Cabelas waders leak on me. Each time i returned them i added a bit of cash and moved up to the next level. 2 weeks ago i was in Hamburg again with another leaky pair so this time i moved into the Simms G3s.

You get what you pay for. I ride an ATV 16 miles into where I fish, then will spend up to 18 hours a day in them fishing, busting through brush, kneeling on rocks, and climbing steep banks. The cheapo waders don't last me a week under the conditions that I fish. I have the good simms waders and do not baby them one bit. I get about four years out of pair before I invest a new pair.
They are also much more comfortable than anything else out there. Not only the fit but if it is cold, I wear more layers, if it hot, they breath.
If you only fish a couple times a year, get the cheapos, if you fish hard throughout the year you are fool not to spend the money.

OK!

Now, abosolutely not many people spend days on end fishing 18 hours on the stream doing extreme fly Fishing. What's the skinny?Where do you fish? How many days a year and what do you fish for? Very curious. Most people do not need $500 or $700 Simms to get thru the year. I'm picturing Quad racing, mountain climbing, survivor stuff. Details, please.

OK, heres the skinny. I live in Kodiak, AK one mile from a river that has five species of salmom, dolly varden char, rainbow trout, and steelhead. I fish every chance I get which is everyday for weeks at a time. I will fish before work (0400 to 0630) get home from work and fish till dark 1630 to 2300). Then there is another river that I drive ten miles to, unload my ATV, drive it 16 miles on an old military road and fish daylight to dark (0400 to 2300) and then either camp out or ride my atv back to my truck. Last year I camped on the river for three weeks fishing everyday being in my waders from daylight to dark. Just like I fished for brookies I will work a section of stream sometimes covering a mile or two at at time and then I have to walk back. Some of the banks are steep so it is kind of light rock climbing too.
Is it like survivor stuff, maybe. No cell service, no electricity, no nothing but what I packed in for camp for three weeks. It is great! Do I trust cheap waders for my annual once in lifetime sockeye salmon fishing trip, no way. I also will normally go through at least two sage rods a year too!

i am about 5'10" 250 lbs and wear a size 10 the best place i found is cabelas they have a stout size chart that fits my size rather than buying the 80 dollar pair of hodgmans every year that seems to rip in the *** every year and i only take them out when the water is cold other than that i wear shorts and an old pair of sneakers probably should get actual wading shoes instead of ruining my sneakers

Back