3wt or 2wt Recommendations?

From reading the Orvis fly fishing guide way back in the 80's I thought line weight selection should be based a lot on the size flies you are using. I still do that today - choose my line size based on fly size.
As for rod length I base that on stream size and characteristics including surrounding trees/vegetation, etc.
2 wt vs 3 wt? What fly sizes are you using? I'd think 3 should cover more bases, for me 2 is getting a bit specialized/limited.
Graphite vs glass? I do enjoy glass more in lighter line weight/shorter rod ( less than 7.5 or 8') combinations.
The except I've found here is tailwater fisheries out west; sometimes you find some respectable size fish sipping BWOs in size 20 or smaller... my 3wt bamboo-like rod would not fare well with those trout.

The except I've found here is tailwater fisheries out west; sometimes you find some respectable size fish sipping BWOs in size 20 or smaller... my 3wt bamboo-like rod would not fare well with those trout.
Agreed. I've never fished out west but have fished eaastern tailwater, Delaware etc. A heavier rod does work well - wonder how a modern stiffer light line rod like a Sage, loomis, Taylor etc would work in these situations?

I know you said you are primarily interested in glass, but give the Redington Classic Trout a wiggle. Its a medium action graphite rod, but the 7'6" 3wt in particular is touted as a real sweetheart for little $.

I also think that the difference in a 2wt vs. 3wt is marginal unless comparing EXACT rod models or rods of similar profile. There's too many rods made by too many manufacturers to definitively state which line wt is more effective. Overall I would speculate that a 3wt is more versatile and a 2wt is more specialized but I like to review a rod and then state its intended purpose and capabilities. Focus more on a rod that you really like by testing some out. Over my own personal creek rod shootouts conducted in my backyard I have come to the conclusion I like an 8ft. length in a light rod. This gives me enough length for line manipulation and if you enter a spot in the creek where it widens, you will be happy to have the added length. This length will help you if you choose to nymph or dap your flies around rocks. As for particular rods I have really come to love my CTS Affinity 2wt 8' XM (medium fast) rod, a rod that put my SAGE Little ONE 1wt 8'2" rod to shame! CTS makes stellar blanks and are IMO just as good as the four digit price tag rods of today.

The shorter lengths certainly have their place and I still intend to use my Superfine 2wt 6'6", mostly because I have to justify buying it. If you're thinking you'll need a rod to cut the rhododendron tunnels then shorter is better, but these areas on a creek are already hard to fish enough as is and I wouldn't deem an overall drop of 18 inches in rod length just to fish these tunnel as beneficial.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and tips. Really appreciate it. I went to a local shop yesterday to test out a few different rods. Totally showed up expecting to leave with a Superfine based on all of the research I had done, but ended up going with a Scott F Series 3wt (7'2"). It spoke to me and felt very natual to cast - I didn't fight with it at all. The accuracy was unbelievable as well as I ended up coming within a few inches of my target object each and every cast.

It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but the craftsmanship is excellent and I'm hoping to have a rod to last me for a very long time.

Cheers everyone!

From reading the Orvis fly fishing guide way back in the 80's I thought line weight selection should be based a lot on the size flies you are using.
I agree fully with that on tippet size, in the interest of balancing the competing interests of turning over the fly on the cast, and reducing drag.

As far as fly line weight, it's more about the expected casting that's going to be taking place. If you are casting in windy conditions, I want heavier line, regardless of the fly size. If I'm going to be casting very short distances with snap and roll casts to avoid the rhodo behind me, under limbs, to fish that don't care much about drag, like brookie fishing on a tumbling small mountain stream, I also want heavier weighted line to load that rod as much as possible at short distance in non traditional ways. But if tossing midges on a smooth as glass limestoner with complicated currents, and trying to put the fly down softly, avoid micro drag, etc. That's a finesse game and I want a finesse rod with a lighter line.

@sam, congrats (again) on your purchase. You chose a good length of rod (a little short for my preference, but to each their own) from a great established brand. I have not delved into Scott as I have acquired the rods I need/want for small stream fishing, but I know the Scott F series rods are well-loved and you will enjoy this fine piece of American made tackle. I am also glad that you got a glass rod. You will learn that glass is very versatile and you will have a lot of fun with this new stick. I tip my hat to you good sir!

Agreed. I've never fished out west but have fished eaastern tailwater, Delaware etc. A heavier rod does work well - wonder how a modern stiffer light line rod like a Sage, loomis, Taylor etc would work in these situations?
A 4-6wt will work out west pretty well, up to 6wt mostly because of the wind in the rockies... but I used to live in utah and would fish 4-5 wt just fine with decent size fish and all ranges of dry flies.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and tips. Really appreciate it. I went to a local shop yesterday to test out a few different rods. Totally showed up expecting to leave with a Superfine based on all of the research I had done, but ended up going with a Scott F Series 3wt (7'2"). It spoke to me and felt very natual to cast - I didn't fight with it at all. The accuracy was unbelievable as well as I ended up coming within a few inches of my target object each and every cast.

It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but the craftsmanship is excellent and I'm hoping to have a rod to last me for a very long time.

Cheers everyone!
That sounds like a great rod...

Back