3wt or 2wt Recommendations?

S

sam

After a very long hiatus, I got back into fly fishing in 2020 (thanks pandemic) and have been going out ~50 times a year since. I've fished many of different waters all around the western and central part of the state and fishing small streams for wild trout has become my favorite way to fish.

I currently have an old Orvis Clearwater 5wt 8.6" rod that my dad bought 25+ years ago. I really like that rod, but want to get something a bit smaller for this type of small stream fishing. There are so many options out there that I have analysis paralysis.

I'm leaning towards getting the Orvis 3wt Superfine glass rod outfit, but it's a big purchase for me ($700+) so I want to make sure it's the right decision. I've talked with a few different fly shops and I've heard that an over-lined 2wt would be better for me, that I should do a graphite rod instead, etc.

I think I want to try glass. I have a heavier weight bamboo rod that I've used and I like how slow it casts. I've heard glass is similar.

I guess a few questions,
  • The 2wt superfine (one recommendation I received) seems like it would be a blast for 100% small stream fishing for trout under 10", but would be high-risk if fished in any other applications (ex. nearby streams that may have larger stocked trout). Is this accurate or can a 2wt still handle larger fish?
  • Does anyone else have the 3wt Superfine - any thoughts/guidance?

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated. Or ideally, if you have a 2wt or 3wt outfit you want to sell!

If you're not locked into the idea of an Orvis Superfine, you could pick up a Redington Butterstick in a 2 or 3 wt for less than half of the price. I currently fish a 2 wt rod with a #3 line on a Battenkill reel. It's a great small stream setup.

i like the st.croix imperials. check em out. i have a 3 weight and 5 weight.

Timely thread. Not to hijack but what length do y’all prefer?? I have a 2wt 6’3” rod I use for natives but sometimes wish I had one of my 8’+ or 9’+ for dabbing into nooks and crannies or when overhangs prevent most forms of casting.

I got a Douglas Upstream 7' 3" 3wt for mountain trout last year, it's is great. Paired with "Cortland’s 444 Sylk" line, it's ideal for where I fish in Central VA for brook trout. The line is very supple so if you have a super short cast, you can managed with just 24" of line out + your leader length without it trying to snake itself back into the guides.

It's a slow action rod, but I really like it as I fish mostly dries for brook trout with it. Upstream 3734 - $469 MSRP.

Timely thread. Not to hijack but what length do y’all prefer?? I have a 2wt 6’3” rod I use for natives but sometimes wish I had one of my 8’+ or 9’+ for dabbing into nooks and crannies or when overhangs prevent most forms of casting.
95% of my trout fishing is done with a rod that is 7’ or shorter.

If you're not locked into the idea of an Orvis Superfine, you could pick up a Redington Butterstick in a 2 or 3 wt for less than half of the price. I currently fish a 2 wt rod with a #3 line on a Battenkill reel. It's a great small stream setup.

I was looking at these too, but heard mixed reviews. And for a bit more, Orvis seemed to be a much better rod and warranty

I recently bought the 6’6” eagle claw featherlight 3wt for like $30. It’s nothing fancy, but it’s got a nice action and I’ve really enjoyed it so far. I did over line it, which slowed it down but it’s still enjoyable to fish. At the price point I’m not worried about busting through brush on small creeks and beating it up, plus it’s a glass rod so it’s pretty tough. I haven’t had any issues so far.

I did land a 20+ inch fish with it as well so it still has a little backbone if you need it.

I got a Douglas Upstream 7' 3" 3wt for mountain trout last year, it's is great. Paired with "Cortland’s 444 Sylk" line, it's ideal for where I fish in Central VA for brook trout. The line is very supple so if you have a super short cast, you can managed with just 24" of line out + your leader length without it trying to snake itself back into the guides.

It's a slow action rod, but I really like it as I fish mostly dries for brook trout with it. Upstream 3734 - $469 MSRP.

I really like the Upstream and am intrigued by it. I never owned or cast one but it seems pretty sweet. Love the color! I know that you can get this rod in a travel 6 piece version that may be beneficial incase the OP wants to do some backpacking. I think the Upstream will be quite suitable for what the OP is looking for.

I have owned the the new Superfine glass 2wt 6'6" since 26 DEC 2022. I have not taken it to the water yet because it's going to be a warmer water dry/dropper rod for me when I go on tiny creeks or creeks with a lot of overhanging vegetation.

When you're using this 2 wt or 3 wt rod and fishing small wild trout streams...do you envision traditional casting, roll casting, or bow/arrow casting?

Unless I'm in some thick rhodo stream and bow/arrow casting is my only option, I seldom fish my 7' 3wt. If I'm fishing a small stream but can traditional cast some times in openings but normally roll cast, I prefer either 8' or 7' 6" but both being 4 wts.

I like the idea of buying the $30 eagle claw to see if you like fishing with a rod shorter than 7'. IMO, most people end up preferring a 8' or 7' 6" for small streams that don't have thick rhodo canopy.

Yo Sam - Cabela's and White River have the CGR glass rods for $79.99, now on sale for $59.98. These are a steal - I have a have dozen of these. I also have the Orvis 3wt, in 7'6", which is a very sweet and capable rod. The original was 7 feet, and this model replaced it. I saw one on sale in the Fiberglass Forum for $250. At the Lancaster Show, I tried thr Moonlit Lunar and Phoenix glasses, and liked the 2 wt 6'6" so much that I took it home for $160+tax. If you are thinking graphite, LMK - I have dozens of those in those sizes.

I really like the Upstream and am intrigued by it. I never owned or cast one but it seems pretty sweet. Love the color! I know that you can get this rod in a travel 6 piece version that may be beneficial incase the OP wants to do some backpacking. I think the Upstream will be quite suitable for what the OP is looking for.
- upstream review

The only Upstream I have is the 8' 2wt, and it is a dream for midging and in spring creek situations. Bushwhacking for brookies may mean a shorter, heavier stick.

In agreement with the heavier weights. It's not about fish size that determines rod weight for me, but the casting. Small stream fishing is often short "punchy" casting for me, tight loops to get under branches and such. Some roll casting and bow and arrow. Not at all a finesse game though. As for length, in tight quarters a long rod definitely is cumbersome, not just casting, but walking through stuff.

I do plenty of mountain brookie fishing and my setup is a 7'6" 4/5 wt medium/fast action graphite, and I load it with 5 to 7 wt line, depending on how big/open the water is. Smaller and tighter favoring the 7 wt line to load it at short distances. Bigger or more open, where I expect to open up and cast a little further, and I'll run with the 5 wt line on it. Something in between, 6 wt is fine.

There's been times where I wished it was a touch shorter or longer, but it's what I settled on as the best overall for small stream work.

Save the 2 and 3 wts for midges and trico's on slow spring creeks, IMO. I do that too. Just an entirely different goal to your cast.

I just don't understand the appeal of ultra-light weight rods (except for the aforementioned spring creek/midge fishing). I can do everything I need on small streams with a 7' 3" 4wt or a 7' 6" 5wt, I fish some jump across trickles too but more than a few also part like the heavens into some decent sized pools where I'd be under gunned with a 2-3 weight.

That's just me though, I'm a weird one.

I just don't understand the appeal of ultra-light weight rods (except for the aforementioned spring creek/midge fishing). I can do everything I need on small streams with a 7' 3" 4wt or a 7' 6" 5wt, I fish some jump across trickles too but more than a few also part like the heavens into some decent sized pools where I'd be under gunned with a 2-3 weight.

That's just me though, I'm a weird one.

I've done the same fishing with my 8'6" 4wt, it can be done, but it's more about a slow action rod. It's fun for dries, fun with smaller fish, and I have less chance of launching them 30 feet because it's very soft on the hook set.

From reading the Orvis fly fishing guide way back in the 80's I thought line weight selection should be based a lot on the size flies you are using. I still do that today - choose my line size based on fly size.
As for rod length I base that on stream size and characteristics including surrounding trees/vegetation, etc.
2 wt vs 3 wt? What fly sizes are you using? I'd think 3 should cover more bases, for me 2 is getting a bit specialized/limited.
Graphite vs glass? I do enjoy glass more in lighter line weight/shorter rod ( less than 7.5 or 8') combinations.

Admittedly I've only really "blue lined" once. But it was a rhododendron hell and I also had a miserable time using a 6'6" rod. Was really wishing I had something longer. Excited to use my new TFO Pro II 8'6" 4wt on some small streams soon.

Back