35" Bass caught on the Susky in Harrisburg

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
http://cumberlink.com/sports/outdoors/bj_small/outdoors-unusual-catch/article_d04b0c89-5316-52b8-8a36-55ca05fcf99e.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Might not have been prepared if that critter grabbed your popper.

Neat!
This pic and story has been floating around along with other rumors of striped bass catches in the Susky lately (as well as some big brown trout in that area).

My guess would be that there are some resident SB in the impounded areas in and around Harrisburg that were probably smaller fish that somehow made it through the dams with the shad migration. In the ensuing years, they have remained and continued to grow. Although likely male fish, if any females made it up to this area, there may even be some limited natural repro.

SB used to be stocked by the PFBC down in the vicinity of Holtwood but this program was scrapped some years ago. Really makes one wonder what potential that section of the river could have without the dams - could be a world class striper and shad fishery every spring.

I remember hearing about this and not being surprised. Stripers can cover a lot of water. I can remember throwing foot-long rainbow trout flies on the Upper D for stripers about a decade ago when a bunch followed the herring and shad way upriver. I think it was the same year the beluga whale ran up the Delaware. They had 20+lb fish above Calicoon.

migrating stripers and their youngins are spending more time in the Delaware river and it's not unusual for them to stay 3 or 4 years or more years. Outside of the normal rubs You can routinely catch stripers up to 25" but over the last 4 or so years I'm seeing more and mire 30"+ fish being caught into late summer and the fall.

Of course the Delaware is tidally influenced and has no dams so I would put this susky catch into the unusual category. That's a beautiful striper and no doubt its origins is the ocean.

BradFromPotter wrote:
I've heard of some being caught at the near the dam in Sunbury some years ago.

I have caught hybrid strippers at the one dam in Sunbury. I don't know where they might have come from.

Attachments

• 13700095_10153731276132966_8704487290704134863_n.jpg
    13700095_10153731276132966_8704487290704134863_n.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 3
A buddy of mine caught one just a little smaller than that and downstream several miles about 2 years ago.

Couple of questions......

Does the closest bridge in the background appear to be "shopped" to anyone?

Second question is where are the bridge pilings where they are fishing? It's been brought to my attention that it's illegal to fish (from a boat) above the bridge pilings that are below the Dock St dam (aka closed water).

krayfish2 wrote:

Second question is where are the bridge pilings where they are fishing? It's been brought to my attention that it's illegal to fish (from a boat) above the bridge pilings that are below the Dock St dam (aka closed water).

It doesn't appear shopped to me - but I'm not the sharpest tool when it comes to scrutinizing photographs.

As for the spot, they may be directly under the bridge. I'm not that familar with the river in the immediate city area. It would make sense that there are boating restictions around the Dock St Dam as this is commonly known to be a dangerous area.

krayfish2 wrote:

From the article:
On the day rockfish rocked their world, the guys were throwing bigger top water smallmouth baits at the lowhead Dock Street Dam, just down-river from the state capital.

Pic below shows the lowhead dam in the background.

Attachments

• fake news - striper pic.jpg
    fake news - striper pic.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4
Susquehanna at Harrisburg from 83 South

Here'a pic I took a while back and put on the site. Facing East Northeast, from the Camp Hill side. The dam and 83 cross the river at skewed angles . The dam being further upstream of the I-83 bridge on the West side and just up river (almost under) the bridge on the Harrisburg side. I was not aware however, that there were any boating restrictions below the dam.

Nice fish! They have been caught off an on in that area for many years... wasn't aware of any boating restrictions there either, although as mentioned that surely is and can be a dangerous spot.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I have caught hybrid strippers at the one dam in Sunbury. I don't know where they might have come from.

there are wipers in Tioga/Hammond lakes and have been escaping to the Chemung and susky for years.

now we have real stripers in the coweneski lake with escapees..

I know the guys from this story and they are fine people and excellent fishermen as well.

Stripers, not hybrids, being caught at Dock Street are nothing new. My daughter and I caught them there 2 years ago. Not as big as the one pictured, but 25-28". We caught 4 in 45 minutes or so and a boat across the River from us caught a similar number.

There is no restriction regarding boating below the dam.

Nothing new is an understatement; they have been caught there for decades, but possibly there were a few more caught there this year and perhaps that's what all of the hoop-lah is about. Still, it was not that big of a deal for anyone familiar with the historical record of these catches. If it was something new, then I could have understood the attention that it has received.

https://pplpreserves.wordpress.com/tag/fish-farm/

The trout hatchery I used to work for owned this hybrid hatchery at Bruner island. I know it used to be he only one of its kind in the country. This page has some good info on it about the set up. Always wondered how many escaped.

Back