3 wt brookie bugs

i am looking at the cabellas 10' 4wt for nymphing (czn rod ) great reviews on them

Im getting the 9' 4wt Hydros to use on larger streams and to use for nymphing.

Never owned a rod this long. Cant wait to test it out.

At the spring jam i showed bikerfish and shakey a rod a deceased friend gave me , there are rods to be used for certain purposes , and there are rods that should just be used for FUN......"TOY" is a good pick for a rod you use just cause it's fun , i want them all to be fun but sometimes , when your serious , function takes the place of fun , oh my "TOY" is a 6 1/2 ft orvis bamboo and it calls for a 5-6wt , its 50 years old they didn't have 3 wts then but i use one on it now , wf3 cortland 333 the FUN is better than FUNction. HAVE FUN!!!!!

I guess I'll find out this week how effective a 3 wt is. I was originally going to do a short 4 wt for the 8" brookies, but in hand it felt very similar to my 5 wt (lighter, of course, but not drastically so). This little 3 was just so precise. It's not really about "fighting" the little fish (why do I need to turn a little brook trout into a tarpon?) but about making very short casts feel like casts--if that makes any sense. Yes there is a lot of bow and arrow work and other creative casts (with little or no backcast). But there are also many times when I cast normally, just not very far. Even overlining my 5 wt the thing rarely loads the way I want it to in close quarters.

This will be my most expensive outfit, so I don't love the idea of it being an inefficient "toy." But 90% of my fishing is done on Valley Creek, mountain freestoners, and in the summer on a small local stream for panfish. The 5wt has been a lot of rod for many of these tasks.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Im getting the 9' 4wt Hydros to use on larger streams and to use for nymphing.

Never owned a rod this long. Cant wait to test it out.

Sal,

The Hydros is a nice rod. The mid-flex version would likely be the rod you would prefer. Try 'em all though.....cast away!

Just FYI, the Superfine line that you fish are being replaced by a newer version in the next few months. Whatever is in inventory right now will be sold through. The new SF line still be geared to shorter & lighter rods for small streams.

Good luck with your new rod.

Isn't the superfine already geared to smaller streams? Is the taper going to be shorter?

That's kind of annoying--I just ordered the reel/line.

I have one Orvis line, the stupidly named Superfine Trout Wonderline Generation 3. I fish it on a Superfine rod.

I love this stuff, and it seems damned near perfect. It sings through the guides and has this really subtle whisper that just sounds wonderful.. I've considered getting more Wonderline for other rods because I've been so satisfied with this stuff. The only downside is the welded loop has kinda opened up, and I think wicked some water into the core.

I do wish I'd have gotten the DT over WF line, though. I've been thinking that alot. I bet next year, I'll regret all these DT lines. Heh.

Wildfish wrote:
Isn't the superfine already geared to smaller streams? Is the taper going to be shorter?

I know the Superfine rods are being replaced.
I believe the Superfine Wonderlines are too.
I wouldn't worry about it, because the BBS reels are probably not going to change ever, unless its to be cheapened.

The SF rods are mostly fuller flexing, slower actioned rods in shorter lengths. The lines don't really say anything abotu what makes them special, just that they say Superfine, and since the rod says superfine, well hell, ain't that just super and fine, sport? Now pony up for an Orvis ltd reel and a funny hat and get out there and show 'em who's boss, Orvis Fan!!

Seriously, though. I wouldn't sweat it. Enjoy your toy.

Wildfish wrote;

Wildfish,

The current Superfine line of rods ARE geared for smaller stream fishing featuring shorter rods in lighter weights with more of a full flex (slower) action. The new SF rod line will mirror the current one with rod choices and action. If you just bought a SF, it has been discounted $100. The new line retail cost will likely be more than the current one and will not be discounted.

The bottom line is to buy a rod that casts and fishes well for you and is affordable. HTH. Good luck with your new rig.

My mistake--I thought you meant the superfine flyline. I just bought some of that, not a superfine rod.

afishinado wrote:
The current Superfine line of rods ARE geared for smaller stream fishing featuring shorter rods in lighter weights with more of a full flex (slower) action. The new SF rod line will mirror the current one with rod choices and action. If you just bought a SF, it has been discounted $100. The new line retail cost will likely be more than the current one and will not be discounted.

Cheaper, actually. The Superfine Touch rods will be $100 less than the Superfine Troutbums (about on par with the Troutbum sale price), and an expanded line up (including a 9' 4wt, Sal). Also going back to the much loved "unsanded" matte appearance of the last Superfine generation.

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/topic/3651

"Now pony up for an Orvis ltd reel and a funny hat and get out there and show 'em who's boss, Orvis Fan!!"

I used to be an Orvis hater. Gear is fine, but most of the "accessories" are overpriced excuses to spend money. Then a shop opened nearby and started sending me monthly $25 off coupons. Since then I've bought a sling bag, hooks, beads, leaders and now a reel. Not quite a fan, but if they keep sending me coupons I'll probably keep buying.

I, uhh, I don't own a funny Orvis hat...

Attachments

• Gary caught in yet another lie.jpg
    Gary caught in yet another lie.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 3
afishinado wrote:
Gfen wrote:
I, uhh, I don't own a funny Orvis hat...
:-o

I spake the truth, that time at least.

edit: its amazing how much i look nothing like that anymore.

Do you still have a blue dot on the side of your face indicating your wild status?

IMO the 3 weights are far from toys. I have an older Sage DS2 8' 6" 3 wt. I fish that rod nearly all summer on Spring Creek. I landed an 18" Wild Brown there with it in Sept. so it's not just for small fish either. The small line will land in flat water without so much as a riffle. They don't scare the fish as readily and that gentleman gives you the edge. You actually have the advantage! As far as playing the fish to death goes. Just not true if you know how to fight and land a bigger trout. I can land them just about as quickly on my 3 wt. as I can my 5 wt. Anyone agree?

WildTigerTrout.............Heck yeah , it doesn't take that much more time or stress on the fish to land em with a 3 wt. you might have to be a little more intent on doin it and gettin it done but hey.........

3wts are ok unless its windy (dry flys ) or u want to turn over tungsten tandems

That's the fun part. I like fishing with lighter tackle. I landed a 17" Wild Brown on Spring Creek with my St. Croix Avid 7'6" 2 weight. Played him into the net fairly quickly got a fast photo and he was released no worse for the wear as they say! He must like my flies because I caught the same trout two weeks before on my Sage 3 weight. LOL! Oh the joys of Catch and Release!

Back