20th Anniversary of Paflyfish

troutbert wrote:

Back in the early days, I remember that there was quite a lot of skepticism about wild trout in PA on the board. You don't hear that much anymore.

I don't understand what you're saying here, could you elaborate?

John

JF_ wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Back in the early days, I remember that there was quite a lot of skepticism about wild trout in PA on the board. You don't hear that much anymore.

John

People would say that there are very few wild trout in PA.

That what people thought were wild trout were actually stocked trout that held over and got colored up, that they were "feral" trout, etc. That people were imagining that the trout they were catching were wild.

That kind of talk was very common in the early days of the board, and much less so now. More people understand the situation now.

Back in the day, when I joined the board, I did not know there was any distinction among trout as to the their birthright. But I don't think I ever claimed there were not wild trout. And, I don't really remember any controversy over their existence per se versus their extent or commonality.

That said, I learned about wild trout from this board and reading about them because I had been enlightened. And then, I actually began to fish for them and catch them.

troutbert wrote:
JF_ wrote:
troutbert wrote:

John

That what people thought were wild trout were actually stocked trout that held over and got colored up, that they were "feral" trout, etc. That people were imagining that the trout they were catching were wild.

That kind of talk was very common in the early days of the board, and much less so now. More people understand the situation now.

Well, add me to the list of people that thought ... what the hell is Troutbert talking about now?

There were lots of wild Brook trout back then.

I now see what you were talking about, and I do seem to remember that. But my argument back than was not that they didn't exist, just that they didn't matter. :p

troutbert wrote:
JF_ wrote:
troutbert wrote:

John

I remember there being doubters, there still are, but now there are a lot of folks believe there are a lot of 'holdover' trout, that I believe they are mistaken on.I think they are calling wild trout holdovers, because in part the streams they fish are stocked heavily.
As far as when Dwight joined the board, it was pretty early on, and he actually used his real name for a short time.
It was the wild west then. Especially when Jeff F got going. Where is Jeff anyway?

I think I may be the least known member with the longest tenure on PAflyfish. I joined in the spring of 2000 when I bought my first house and was a newly married college kid. I posted a lot more in the early years but still not enough too be considered a regular. I'm 85% lurker 15% contributor over the last 16 years. I appreciate all of the helpful information and ideas and have learned a ton about this sport from this website alone. When I found this site I was a spin fisherman wanting to experience catching a trout on a dry fly, like the man I watched on the Neshaminy Creek catching them every other cast as I sat skunked with my CP Swing. I have never been to a Jam. I've only met one member, Bob Childs (sandfly) but I feel like I know most of you. Thanks Dave for getting this great site off the ground and shaping it into what it is today.

Back